Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
I have just said this in a previous post of mine. That sentence stuck out to me too.
Sorry Teenytiny, hadn't realized you'd made the same point (that's the trouble with speed-reading!)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Well many a "Bull Terrier" will attack another dog without any provokation, its in their nature, but most of them wouldnt attack a child without provokation.

Yes I know all dogs can bite, but when we hear of the severity of the attacks concerning certain types of dog, it makes me think something should now be done. Accidents will and do happen, but I read that maybe the dog was frightened of fireworks? if so, when was the last time you heard of any dog killing a child because of it? I have dealt with some truly terrified dogs in kennels, because of fireworks/thunder, they are with strangers too, but never have I know one attack with such ferocity. Fact is these types of dogs were bred to be powerful, highly strung, quickly "switched on" have no fear, no pain threshold and do not let go.

The DDA hasnt worked, something else should now come into force, a 5yr old girl and serious injuries to an adult is no small attack that should be defended whatever the reason IMO.
Dawn.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 06:30 PM
It is all very sad, just said on the news that the dog belonged to the uncle and the local council had, about a month ago, sent a letter issueing a warning regarding the dogs behaviour.

Don't know why - probabley an incident that could have been very much prevented in my opionion.

Unfortunately alot of the wrong type of people are interested in these types of dogs.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Iv nothing to add to this thread regarding the treatment/behaviour ect of the dog or the responsabilities of the owners of the dog. I wont make comments on something i know nothing about.

My deepest sympathies go out to this poor little girls family. Such a tragic accident.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Fact is these types of dogs were bred to be powerful, highly strung, quickly "switched on" have no fear, no pain threshold and do not let go.

The DDA hasnt worked, something else should now come into force, a 5yr old girl and serious injuries to an adult is no small attack that should be defended whatever the reason IMO.
Dawn.
I hear what you are saying Dawn, but not sure what more can be done?

What worries me is that as very serious, and fatal, attacks become more regular, or are at least reported more regularly, it will impact upon us all as dog owners - and especially those of us who choose to own large and powerful dogs. Looking back, the GSD, Doberman, Rottweiler have all come under scrutiny at one time or another due to a number of attacks by these breeds. How long will it be before all bull breeds are banned? Then all guarding breeds are banned? Then all dogs as pets are banned?

Maybe this is extreme, but I am concerned.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Before we can judge we need facts and its not likely we are going to get the whole truth.

1. If they did receive a letter from the council regarding the dog (but no one knows why) then we have had members on here who have had them. It may just be for barking, or may just be neighbours who don't like dogs, we don't know.

2. The neighbours saying the dog was a menace and barking all day may just be very similar to all the people round here who said that the first man to be arrested for the Ipswich killings was 'a loner, 'on drugs' or even people who said he didn't look right..... and yet they also said they never saw him.

If its anything like when the press were asking us about the killings they'll be ready to listen to anyone, just to get a comment.

Petebren mentioned about in-laws? who didn't like dogs as they make a mess to be picked up. What if they had been asked to comment over this neighbours dog?

So we can't judge, its not fair on the dog or those involved.
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Here Here!
There is no need to state the name of the breed especially before it's even understood what the breed is. I am terribly sorry for this family it should never have happened and nobody knows why either but by stating 'pit bull' which it probably isn't anyway, the press are just sensationalising a tragic death of a little girl making matters far worse for her family.

It goes through me when I see children teasing dogs -because they know no better- and the parents doing nothing about it until the dog growls and then shouting at the dog. I'm not saying this is what happened here but I'm sure it counts for at least some percentage of dog attacks on children.
This is so sad but when we start to put any blame on this poor child ( if teasing was the case or not) I feel our love of dogs has gone way too far. It seems there must be alot of pit bull owners here and I'm sure alot will disagree. I get such a kick out of people saying "why was the child alone with the dog" When our four children were young they were always alone with our dogs and that is why we had a dog for their companionship. Of course I was in the house but I was not checking every minute to see if something terrible had happened....that would be a terrible way to live. We have 159 breeds and I would think if you have children or plan to have them you would pick a breed that has a proven temperament and not one that has killed before whether pure pit or mix. Just my humble opinion.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 07:36 PM
what a horrible thing to happen that poor little girl + her family
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by buzzie View Post
This is so sad but when we start to put any blame on this poor child ( if teasing was the case or not) I feel our love of dogs has gone way too far. It seems there must be alot of pit bull owners here and I'm sure alot will disagree. I get such a kick out of people saying "why was the child alone with the dog" When our four children were young they were always alone with our dogs and that is why we had a dog for their companionship. Of course I was in the house but I was not checking every minute to see if something terrible had happened....that would be a terrible way to live. We have 159 breeds and I would think if you have children or plan to have them you would pick a breed that has a proven temperament and not one that has killed before whether pure pit or mix. Just my humble opinion.
Pit Bulls are a banned breed here in the UK. I doubt that anyone that uses the forum has a pit bull.
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2007, 08:02 PM
What a dreadful thing to happen to that little girl, my sympathies to her family.

I also feel for the loss of the dog, another life lost.

Why we don't know.

I was also sad to read my breed of dog being mentiond, I'd trust my Dobermanns with my life but never, ever leave them with a child.

but for the grace of God go I, I'm sure I will have turned my back at sometime when my nephews are visiting......... what that family are going through I hate to think.
Page 6 of 32 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »