View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 10:05 AM

Does anyone know anything about getting out of a mobile contract?

I received my bill this morning and found that they have added over £10 for received text messages. I rang them up and they tell me that i have been receiving premium rate texts from 82070, I am livid because they will not take the charges off and say that I must of rang them or texted them to receive these texts, well I said i haven't and got them to check and sure enough i have not ever rung or texted a premium rate number, so then they said i must have given them my number somehow, I know that i would never agree to anything wanting to charge me £1.50 per text! ~They say they have not given my number to anyone, now where do I stand, still having to pay the bill! Its not the first time they have put charges on my phone that I cannot prove not to be mine. I want out, does anyone know of any loop holes to get me out of this contract?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Not really sure but think you will find it difficult,my younger Son wanted to stop his contract before the year was up because things became very expensive and seem to change unfortunately we ended up paying £190 in charges even though the phone had been cut off because in the small print it was signed for a year,I get livid over these things but seems they can get away with it.
What about contacting Citizens Advice see what they might be able to tell you,good luck.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2006, 10:16 AM
It is very difficult when it comes to contract phones because when you buy it, you're entering into a legal contract, usually of 12 months/18 months. If you're sure that you haven't authorised these texts, i'd go to the CAB defo..I received some stupid texts, from numbers i didn't recognise and i knew they were those premium rate things so i deleted them straightaway. Didn't get charged tho..
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Again to echo whats been said its a tricky one, but when I was fed up with my contract I sent a VERY shirty letter to them and funnily enough my issue was sorted out within a week!

When I had problems with them again I just sent a letter of cancellation and paid a £20 fine or something to get out early. Was worth it in the end though, would have paid more in the long run if i'd stayed with them!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
Again to echo whats been said its a tricky one, but when I was fed up with my contract I sent a VERY shirty letter to them and funnily enough my issue was sorted out within a week!

When I had problems with them again I just sent a letter of cancellation and paid a £20 fine or something to get out early. Was worth it in the end though, would have paid more in the long run if i'd stayed with them!
So you can write a letter of cancellation and pay a small fine to get out? Was your service provider 3? Not one month since i got the phone has my bill been the basic amount, twice I did go over the call limit and will happily pay that but the other 4 times my bill has had things on there that I cant disprove, once they charged me international rate to phone the Isle of man I sware they make the figures up and just see what they can charge me for
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tee
It is very difficult when it comes to contract phones because when you buy it, you're entering into a legal contract, usually of 12 months/18 months. If you're sure that you haven't authorised these texts, i'd go to the CAB defo..I received some stupid texts, from numbers i didn't recognise and i knew they were those premium rate things so i deleted them straightaway. Didn't get charged tho..
I still have one of the texts that they are saying is premium rate, luckily i did not delete it and all it says is 'for gift ideas go to such and such dot com' no where does it say to stop these texts
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Zuba
So you can write a letter of cancellation and pay a small fine to get out? Was your service provider 3? Not one month since i got the phone has my bill been the basic amount, twice I did go over the call limit and will happily pay that but the other 4 times my bill has had things on there that I cant disprove, once they charged me international rate to phone the Isle of man I sware they make the figures up and just see what they can charge me for

Funnily enough they were called Tulip which are a sub-seller off of 3 so yes it will be the same contract. Phone them up and tell them what you are going to do and how much the total cost is (think its something like the interest off what is left on your contract)
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2006, 10:51 AM
AdviceGuide provides the following info:

Ending a contract

You cannot return your phone or cancel the contract, just because you have changed your mind or found a cheaper deal, unless your contract allows you to do this. Check to see if your contract gives you a right to cancel. If it does, the mobile phone company may charge you to do this – details should be in your contract. However, there may be other circumstances in which you can cancel your contract free of charge: for example, if you have paid by credit, signed the contract in your own home, or ordered the service by post, phone or over the internet.

If any of these circumstances apply, you should talk to an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by e-mail, click on nearest CAB.
If you do decide to cancel your mobile phone contract, contact the mobile phone company and let them know. Confirm the cancellation in writing.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 11:22 AM
To make matters worse we have just found out we were lied to when taking on the contract! Phones4U said that after six months when the contract price doubles we can downgrade it to £10 a month but will not have any of the free minutes and what not. didn't mind this but spoke to 3 again asking them if there is anyway out of the contract and they say the least they can reduce the monthly payments to is £30 providing we pay £45 next month i am waiting for someone to call me back from consummer direct fair trading as surely they cannot lie and no where does it say in the contract that we cant reduce it
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-08-2006, 11:49 AM
If your with 3 then there really isn't much hope. We had a phone from 3 for my son but the thing rarely worked, and trying to sort it was absurd. Their call centre is in India and they do not ever acknowledge any letters written to them. In the end we cancelled the direct debit, told them why and their response was to refer it to a debt collection agency. The agency agreed we had tried every possible means to sort it out, and referred it back to 3. ( Watchdog had been involved with several others regarding the same phone with identical issues)
It didn't cost us anything to get out of the contract, we just stopped paying it in despair, but 3 have logged it on our credit rating so there it sits for all to see, have tried to have it removed by advising equifax but while they accept what we say as fact, 3 has to acknowledge that the debt is not outstanding and they wont. Never mind that the charges are bogus added months after the contract was cancelled.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >