View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 11:45 AM
To the point I've almost given up bothering discussing it at all.
ditto ...frankly I'm sick of wearing a hair shirt and reciting the 'mea culpea' simply because I breed pedigree dogs good enough for the show ring ! - the bottom line is that ONLY breeders can make a difference - all the hot air, finger pointing and name calling in the world won't make an iota of difference - unless of course all our detractors are prepared to get of their backsides and try breeding healthy, well constructed, good tempered , low COI dogs of the over 300 individual and unique breeds themselves !! - we're
the ones that hold all the power because we're the ones doing the actual breeding - instead of alienating us why not try listening to what we have to say ...or even better try working with us ...but of course such an approach isnt nearly as attention grabbing as Ms Harrison and the RSPCA's sensationalistic " all pedigree dogs are freakish mutants " approach - and this latest 'personal viewpoint' PDE 2 will be more of the same - despite the real truth that it is the show world and breeders within it that do the MOST in terms of testing , issuing contracts of sale , calculating COI's , compliling databases and funding research than any other sector - will we hear this - hell no !
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I will not be watching it as its a "personal viewpoint" from a journalist who wants sensationalism end off. Someone who has never bred a litter or indeed contributed any of her money to aid any dog health research unlike the ones she condemns
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
True.

I just hope they show a more balanced programme this time. They did an excellent job of showing the tragedy of the outcome of bad breeding practice last time and for that the programme should be applauded, but, and it's a big but, by not showing the benefits of good breeding practices it sent many prospective owners straight into the arms of the poor breeders the programme set out to demonise.

The good thing to come out of it though was a shift in position by the KC. Let's hope this continues to continue

I doubt that very much, said producer is bound to use this second one to have a go back at all the critisim she recieved after the first.

Originally Posted by Tangutica

Brierly - wouldn't you EXPECT an 'expose' style programme to be like that though? I would. And most people do use their own common sense. Truth is if they don't make these programmes 'sensational' enough - they don't get the viewing figures
Do they, ?? no in my experience they dont.

Point of note, a friend has a litter at the moment, not one of her prospective owners has asked her any questions regarding health or KC register..... hows that for common sence and education said programme has instagated.

Most pet owners dont care one way or the other where their new pup comes from, if they did we would nto have byb and puppy farmers.

Originally Posted by bijou View Post
ditto ...frankly I'm sick of wearing a hair shirt and reciting the 'mea culpea' simply because I breed pedigree dogs good enough for the show ring ! - the bottom line is that ONLY breeders can make a difference - all the hot air, finger pointing and name calling in the world won't make an iota of difference - unless of course all our detractors are prepared to get of their backsides and try breeding healthy, well constructed, good tempered , low COI dogs of the over 300 individual and unique breeds themselves !! - we're
the ones that hold all the power because we're the ones doing the actual breeding - instead of alienating us why not try listening to what we have to say ...or even better try working with us ...but of course such an approach isnt nearly as attention grabbing as Ms Harrison and the RSPCA's sensationalistic " all pedigree dogs are freakish mutants " approach - and this latest 'personal viewpoint' PDE 2 will be more of the same - despite the real truth that it is the show world and breeders within it that do the MOST in terms of testing , issuing contracts of sale , calculating COI's , compliling databases and funding research than any other sector - will we hear this - hell no !
Good post.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
Oh no they don't. I spent a couple of weeks walking past people everywhere I went with a dog or without. In supermarket queues, in shops, when I walked past with my shar-pei. The general public who are a bit ignorant of dogs beyond maybe having one as a pet were talking about it and not even getting the breeds mentioned in the program right, let alone anything else. All it did was poison people against pedigree breeds and the dog showing fraternity in general. Humans in general like to make sweeping judgements about stuff they don't know about and it only takes them to see a 'documentary' or newspaper article for them to believe every word as gospel and skew the info that's gone in even more by subconsciously embellishing it with bad recall.

All Pedigreee Dogs Exposed succeeded in was making the general public believe all KC regisrered dogs and especially the ones in the showring were freakish, sickly cripples bred by Crella DeVille's spawn. And I actually think that was the aim from the get go or they would have balanced it out more by including breeders who go out of their way to breed for good health and good temperament along with conformation.
Maybe they couldn't find any?

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Maybe they couldn't find any?

rune
I truly doubt it, Rune. I'm not into breeding, but know of some excellent breeders and I haven't really done any extensive searching.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 01:08 PM
I know several who do seem to be--but when you look closer sometimes (I said SOMETIMES) they aren't what they seem.

I think often the temperament is the sticking point. That is my experience anyway---also with the x breeds and working bred dogs I hasten to add.

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I'm looking forward to it.

Although I thought it was a bit harsh to begin with, I think the first one single-handedly did more for the welfare of dogs being bred than anything else imo.

What a huge difference we see now in the KC attitudes/guidelines on breeding, they now specifically cover things like (not) breeding for exaggerated looks, in-breeding etc

I hope they can report things have got better, but not shy away from further criticism if need be.

Btw, I think the KC should be commended on the improvements they've made, I hope one day they'll thank the film-makers for giving them a bit of a wake-up call, even if it was a bit punishing at the time.
My problem is that Jemima Harrison deliberately omitted the fact that the two dogs(Cavalier & Boxer)featured were not KC registered & didn't have any KC registered dogs within 5 generations. She has admitted publicly(on another forum)that the program would not have been so sensational if she had given the background of the two dogs(The Boxer being the result of a brother/sister mating between 2 pet dogs)
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Surely the programme (I didn't watch the first one) shows what breeding conditions, what health tests, what temperamental evaluations have to go on before a breeder can think about breeding their dogs - then surely people will look for this when they visit a litter of puppies?

I was naive when I went to see Louie's litter, but I looked at the Mum, looked at the conditions of the puppies, where they were kept etc and I was happy with that, if I'd had known about health tests back then, I would've looked on those too.

So I think this programme will do more good than harm, it will show people what to look for when buying a puppy, albeit this is about pedigree dogs, but I'm sure the human race isn't so stupid to not cover what they learn across the board.. (then again..)
Er No No No No

It simply showed 2 pedigree breeds of dogs that have serious health problems-no mention of how to find a breeder that did all the tests

It deliberately omitted information like the 2 GSDs shown were not bred in the UK & one wasn't even resident in the UK & the poor movement shown was an unrelated 6 month old puppy at another show

It omitted totally a section on the Irish/Irish Red & White Setters which showed the breeders in a good light(having bred out CLAD & PRA)by health testing-why simply because it was showing the KC breeders in a good light(JH has admitted this)

JH has not done anything to help the research early cancer deaths in her chosen breed(Flatcoat Reteivers)
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 01:41 PM
well i will watch it as its hard to be able to comment on something if you havent watched it.

The last one was very biased and i do feel didnt make it clear enough that while pedigree dogs have problems puppy farm dogs and x breeds have just as many and often more problems.

It did however raise some very good points and did show to some people not already aware how lacking the KC is when it comes to moving forward. Its still a bit of an old boys network and while it has made baby steps in the right direction i feel it could do more.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I plan on lightly showing my next dog and i have nothing but respect for JH too

You know that video the KC released called "happy, healthy dogs" or something like that? Well, the Bulldog breeder featured in that video at around 15 minutes in is exactly what breeders should be doing IMO, not turning a blind eye to the problems apparent in their breed. I have nothing but respect for those devoted breeders who ARE making changes and are concerned about the welfare of their breed as a whole. I read on another forum last night that they someone had seen a video where a Pug breeder said it was "no big deal" when the dog would pass out due to not being able to get enough air, it was "no big deal" because the dogs got back up again That is the kind of breeder that i seriously have to question what the dogs mean to them when they come out with such dismissive attitudes towards the welfare of their dogs. Sadly, while i'm sure the majority of breeders are doing their very best and are raising happy, healthy dogs, it's breeders like that Pug one that need attention drawn to them and if that means more exposure through documentaries then so be it.

What would i like to see in PDE2? Definitely some positives, such as the changes that have been made by the KC since the first PDE and how these changes have been implemented. Lets see some breeders who are doing everything right ( like the Bulldog breeder in the KC's own video ) While puppy farming does need attention, i don't think PDE2 is the right show for that.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 42 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »