Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I'm looking forward to it.

Although I thought it was a bit harsh to begin with, I think the first one single-handedly did more for the welfare of dogs being bred than anything else imo.

What a huge difference we see now in the KC attitudes/guidelines on breeding, they now specifically cover things like (not) breeding for exaggerated looks, in-breeding etc

I hope they can report things have got better, but not shy away from further criticism if need be.

Btw, I think the KC should be commended on the improvements they've made, I hope one day they'll thank the film-makers for giving them a bit of a wake-up call, even if it was a bit punishing at the time.
i agree with you. but i think it needed to be harsh.. to have the desired effect.which it did. this next one is either going to be a bit milder,which i dont think it will. i think they will have something up their sleeves. kc fought back, and looked for support and sympathy, i think they will get another blast. IM FOR THE DOGGIES!!
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Here is the original thread after the first programme was shown ...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=91921
the kc are like polititions. they line their own nests. talk and talk, and hope things will die down. they are full of figures spent on research, with statistics on hd etc. but all we have to do is OPEN OUR EYES AND LOOK! they are WRONG. eg. look how healthy zak looks. and look how everybody loves him. but would he win a show? probably not!!
which explains every thing!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 07:38 AM
it may have improved attitudes in the KC
But I disslike one sided arguements, I think
a programme like this will damage peoples faith
in pedigree dogs and encourage people to buy more
of those designer dogs out their that arnt even actual breeds without knowing the full facts.

No wonder so many pedigree dogs are dieing out.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
it may have improved attitudes in the KC
But I disslike one sided arguements, I think
a programme like this will damage peoples faith
in pedigree dogs and encourage people to buy more
of those designer dogs out their that arnt even actual breeds without knowing the full facts.

No wonder so many pedigree dogs are dieing out.
i know, but the bbc probably had something to do with content. government to deal with the farms. kc look after the standards. then hopefully our best friends will "STAND" more of achance. at least we are all talking about it. its people after, and a lot are not very nice. ("never a bad dog!")
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:04 AM
I am looking forward to it. I think the last one DID push a lot of breed clubs into either persuing more health tests or promotion of the existing ones. However The KC need to dust themselves off and give some of the breed clubs more clout (like they do in the rest of Europe). For example the Dachshund Breed Council are trying to do a lot, BUT the KC actually hold them back (in my opinion). There is a new health test trying to be implemented. This will involve a financial cost, but it will be able to identify who is not only affected by this disease, but who is a carrier. This diesease is horrendous and anyone who witnesses it will tell you the same. However there are certain BIG breeders who have it in their line and are pretty influencial, to the KC. Will be interesting to see as Jemima Harrison has preaised the DBC for their hard work, BUT it could all fall on deaf ears if the KC don't introduce this test as mandatory...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:16 AM
I think the last one did great things. It got the KC to change. It made people aware of health problems and on the back of it there has been more done to expose the work of puppy farmers. All good stuff.

The second one I will watch BUT I am concerned about the content and the path it may go down. I am concerned because of some of the things I have seen the producer post elsewhere.

That said, I think the producer is a dog person through and through. She cares and hasn't deserved a lot of the criticism and nastiness she has received.

I will be watching as I say, but I am concerned as in the last year or so I have seen opinions polarise. I hope I am wrong.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I just wanted to add I genuinely like the producer and think the first PDE was superb. I think she is motivated by a genuine love of dogs, she does over and above for them, much more than most people who complain about her and she does it quietly.
I just hope this next one doesn't got too far. The worst case scenario I have in my head will do no one any favours.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Surely the programme (I didn't watch the first one) shows what breeding conditions, what health tests, what temperamental evaluations have to go on before a breeder can think about breeding their dogs - then surely people will look for this when they visit a litter of puppies?

I was naive when I went to see Louie's litter, but I looked at the Mum, looked at the conditions of the puppies, where they were kept etc and I was happy with that, if I'd had known about health tests back then, I would've looked on those too.

So I think this programme will do more good than harm, it will show people what to look for when buying a puppy, albeit this is about pedigree dogs, but I'm sure the human race isn't so stupid to not cover what they learn across the board.. (then again..)
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I learnt a lot about what didn't go into the programme - whether it was rumour or not, I don't know. She had a message but I think she went about it the wrong way. I think we were all appalled about some of the things show on the first programme, but I'm not sure she went about it the right way by alienating a LOT of people. I don't think I will actually trust what the programme will say.

Yes, she had a message to put across but not sure going about it like a bull in a china shop was the right way to go. Yes, there have been changes by the KC but she did alienate a hell of a lot of people.

I will certainly watch it but will take things with a pinch of salt.

I wonder if the first programme was the result of all these "designer" breeds cos hybrid vigour is best....right?

Helen
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2012, 09:05 AM
The last one did as many have said, it made the problems more apparent to the general public. It made good headroom for something to start. It also showed the more negative side to the dog breeding/showing world that NONE of us can deny, we all know for every good breeder there is two out there obsessed with rosettes, big turnovers, bad attitudes and the total wrong motivation for breeding. The idiot complaining about young vets not euthanising ridgeless ridgeback puppies, the exhibitor with the cavalier who had been used extensively at stud despite having SM etc, dress it up as much as you want but it outlined some of the BIG problems out there, one of the biggest being the attitude of some people.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »