View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 12:59 PM
- I don't even have a normal TV plugged in.

I have watched a couple of things on iplayer - but that is all this year.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
We watch most things on the internet, eversuffering gets the footy, bike racing and F1 and dosent pay for any of it. BUT I still have a basic Sky package for some stuff especially animal progs...although we did watch a brill wolf prog on the internet the other night.

Just Google for it, plug the PC into the TV and voilą
I will see if I can do that.....our main grown up telly is in the living room, and my laptop is in the study where I have a smaller tv so that will have to be where I do the plugging in thing.

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I don't watch much TV and what I do watch tends to be on BBC/ITV.

Hubby watches quite a bit of Sky but we only have the basic plus a couple of others (not sport - neither of us are into it much or movies which I think is overpriced for the films to be endlessly re-run).

When the Sky box finally gives up the ghost, we'll probably change to a freesat box and not bother with the rest of it and that'll only be for the ease of recording
Unfortunately it's having the sport channel that bumps the price up so much, and you cannot just have that without a load of other stuff along with it.

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Oh Sally, a fellow addict

TBH I have considered binning Sky as well, I'm not a great fan of of the Murdochs but Sky is only 40% owned by them and they have given up on buying the remainder (Yes I know the son is the CEO)

We don't pay for all the sport and films but at £21 a month it still 'feels' expensive to me and the only reason I've not cancelled so far is 'cos I also like my GOLD sitcoms (Most of them anyway )

When do you watch them I like to watch when I'm having my dinner, eating and laughing at the same time seems to be my ultimate happiness mode
We tend to watch them late in the evening before going to bed, and never tire of them! I will really really miss those and I think that in a month's time when it all goes off, OH will realise quite how much he watches Sky channels! War documentaries; cricket; rugby league; war documentaries; car programmes; history programmes; war documentaries; football; Last of the Summer Wine etc., War documentaries .......you get the picture?!

Sally, I wonder if you can get ITV 3 with Freeview, that is almost the same as GOLD (but different sitcoms of course.)

We also both enjoy F1 and I'm mad that it won't be available for free next year, don't know what I'm going to do about that 'cos I don't feel like paying more than the £21 a month we currently pay.
I was talking to someone today about F1, and they seemed to be pretty sure that the races that Sky have would be difficult to find on the internet to watch - don't ask me about the technicalities. Yes, your £21 a month would shoot up to £65 (and shortly to be £75) if you had the package including sport. I am just hoping that for the races that the Beeb can only show highlights of, there will still be enough coverage to make it worth watching.

[QUOTE=Lorna;2433222]We talk about getting rid of sky often, but the truth is we just couldn't do without it, especially not after this week (I had a lumbar puncture a week ago today and it all went a bit wrong leaving me with a severe low pressure headache) I've been bedridden until 2 days ago, I couldn't have coped without my sky....I feel I got my entire year's money's worth just this week!

Can you not convince him to give up something else, like, food?[/QUOTE]

Hah You are talking miracles there!

I do hope that you are feeling a bit better because it sounds as if you have been through the mill somewhat - and yes, I can fully understand what a godsend Sky must have been whilst you were bedridden.

Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I was very miserable when we canceled Sky, but we manage quite well without it really.

I use watch series on the net for any programs I can't get

I will manage because I now have to - but I am not happy
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I know that I shouldn't moan because the cost of Sky now is ...well...sky high, but oh dear what about half the F1 races; most of the horsey stuff; all those films; his rugby league and cricket which keeps him happy for hours on end so that I can play on the computer, etc. etc.

I feel very grumpy, especially as I know full well that the main reason for this decision has little to do with the cost - he just cannot stand the Murdochs.

I've just realised that all those lovely old sitcoms on Gold will be unavailable toooooooo
It's not as bad as you might think - I haven't missed it since we cancelled ours. (You still get all the free channels.)

Plenty on iPlayer too, and no adverts every 10 minutes either
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 07:43 PM
No sorry GOLD is not on Freeview, I'm not sure if ITV 3 (the GOLD equivalent) is on Freeview, I can get ITV3 on my mobile satellite TV but that is not the same as Freeview.
ITV3 is on Freeview, channel 10
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 08:28 PM
oo err when I were a child we had a black &white tv with 3 channels & at midnight or thereabouts a little dot appeared when the programmes finished & the test card picture
We had to watch football & horse racing on a Saturday & Songs of Praise on a Sunday, oh & we had to get up off our butts to change the channel!
Fast forward 40 years oh I couldn't live without my sky HD multi room full entertainment & sports package & would be mortified if the remote broke! Oh how times change
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2012, 09:26 PM
I am going to annoy you all now

I don't even have a TV. I worked at Sky for a few months years ago and sometimes people would phone up actually crying because their Sky wasn't working as they hadn't paid the bill. I am such a nasty person I used to laugh quietly to myself as I couldn't believe people would cry just because they didn't have Sky TV.

I cannot live without my pc and internet though. If my broadband goes down for a couple of hours I honestly don't know what to do with myself, so different addictions for different people. I now apologise for the times I smirked away at these poor people having to do without their Sky as I feel exactly the same without my broadband.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 09:50 PM
We're getting rid of ours. We hardly use it tbh. we had it mainly for Davie to watch cartoons but he doesn't bother so it's a bit pointless.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i think BBC only have some of the races or something don't they ?? I don't know have to admit to not really listening to hubby when he drones on about it LOL

i have basic sky with kids channels, documentaries but no movies or sports?? don't have music channels or news etc.. not sure which package that is?
We have the unlimited broadband and phone so with calls its usually about £60 per month.

i did call up previously about 9 or so months ago and threaten to leave and they reduced my costs but its shot back up again. I am tempted just to get rid as I can watch most of it online so don't really know why I bother, although would never hear the end of it from Luca and hubby.....
Ah it might be the unlimited broadband that makes the difference? I only use my laptop for surfing and the odd download so only have the £5 a month package for broadband. Total for me on See, Speak, Surf is just over £40 a month I think? I don't think £60 is that much really, considering there are several of you using what is provided.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It's not as bad as you might think - I haven't missed it since we cancelled ours. (You still get all the free channels.)

Plenty on iPlayer too, and no adverts every 10 minutes either
I agree that the adverts are super annoying, that is definitely a downside of Sky. I will miss the sport more than anything.

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
oo err when I were a child we had a black &white tv with 3 channels & at midnight or thereabouts a little dot appeared when the programmes finished & the test card picture
We had to watch football & horse racing on a Saturday & Songs of Praise on a Sunday, oh & we had to get up off our butts to change the channel!
Fast forward 40 years oh I couldn't live without my sky HD multi room full entertainment & sports package & would be mortified if the remote broke! Oh how times change
Oh heck yes........I remember just two channels, or was it one?? and I was only allowed to watch on Saturday evening when it was Dixon of Dock Green and a few other things late afternoon.

Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
I am going to annoy you all now

I don't even have a TV. I worked at Sky for a few months years ago and sometimes people would phone up actually crying because their Sky wasn't working as they hadn't paid the bill. I am such a nasty person I used to laugh quietly to myself as I couldn't believe people would cry just because they didn't have Sky TV.

I cannot live without my pc and internet though. If my broadband goes down for a couple of hours I honestly don't know what to do with myself, so different addictions for different people. I now apologise for the times I smirked away at these poor people having to do without their Sky as I feel exactly the same without my broadband.
Your horrid person you I admit to loving both tinternet and telly.

Originally Posted by lore View Post
We're getting rid of ours. We hardly use it tbh. we had it mainly for Davie to watch cartoons but he doesn't bother so it's a bit pointless.
If you never use it then it is definitely a waste of money. We do use it a lot tho.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2012, 11:09 PM
I love the Gold & Comedy central channels. The thought of my OH having charge of the remote for only 4 channels would drive me loopy
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >