Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
This.

Many dogs are not cat friendly. Especially if you bring trespass into it. Lodger would chase. I don't think he'd intentionally damage them - I'm not convinced the dog in the article was looking for lunch either - imagine that cat would have died pretty much instantly if that was the case.
I would have thought so too. It took less than a minute for my dad and brother to seperate Rupert from the cat he caught, the cat died in my brothers arms almost instantly. We never managed to find the owner

I know Rupert would go for the kill and as I say, I take what I see as reasonable precautions to avoid him catching another cat. I don't see it as condoning it, just accepting that it's what my dog will do and taking measures to make sure he doesn't get the chance.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Well, all I can say is that I hope that I would not be held responsible if Jimmi injured or killed a cat in our garden. Actually, I can answer my own question because cats are classed as wild animals so if they are injured whilst roaming then nobody can be held responsible I believe.

There are a couple of cats that scale the six foot wall to enter our garden (although thankfully their visits are becoming less frequent now, so hopefully they are getting the message) and the only way that I could possibly stop Jimmi from trying to kill them, and believe me that IS his intention, would be by never letting him outside except on a lead. Why on earth should I have to do that when we have made the garden completely secure dog-wise.

I wish absolutely no harm to any cat, but if one happens to be pooping all over my flower bed when Jimmi goes out for a mosey around then it has to take it's chances just like a rabbit or vole etc. etc. I realise that he might not get off lightly himself if he did manage to catch one of these cats, and he has come mighty close to it once or twice (including the time that he climbed half way up a tree after one) but judging by his facial scars and those on his hind legs too, he is not put off by retaliation.

I do hope that the dog in question is not put down, because that to me seems totally wrong.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 08:02 PM
But the dog in question wasn't in its own garden was it? I'm getting totally confused by this now! I thought the whole point was that the owner was in trouble for letting it get out loose (again)?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
But the dog in question wasn't in its own garden was it? I'm getting totally confused by this now! I thought the whole point was that the owner was in trouble for letting it get out loose (again)?
No, but surely the rule about cats being classed as wild animals applies to anywhere they might be outside of their own home, in which case surely this distressing incident cannot be used as an argument to put the dog down?
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 08:18 PM
The sad thing is, a close friend of mine now faces rehoming her beloved terrier because someone has moved in next door with a kitten. The terrier is so excited, he leaps at the fence and yesterday managed to chew his way through.

He has to be taken out for a wee on a lead.

She had tried using a water spray, positive reinforcement and noise. But he is intense.

greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
No, but surely the rule about cats being classed as wild animals applies to anywhere they might be outside of their own home, in which case surely this distressing incident cannot be used as an argument to put the dog down?
Actually if the dog was in a public place which is was when it killed the cat then the owner can be prosecuted. If its on private land then thats different.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
The sad thing is, a close friend of mine now faces rehoming her beloved terrier because someone has moved in next door with a kitten. The terrier is so excited, he leaps at the fence and yesterday managed to chew his way through.

She had tried using a water spray, positive reinforcement and noise. But he is intense.

I don't see why she has to rehome him because the neighbour has a kitten I had the same problem with the neighbours chickens in Ireland, I used a long line to keep Rupert away from the fence. Same when the people behind us got a rabbit and placed its hutch and run up against our fence. Yeah it's a pain in the ass but no way I was rehoming my dog because of the neighbours choice of pet!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Has she tried talking to the cat owner ? i don't see why she should get rid of her dog because of the cat its the cat owners responsibility not your friends if the dogs in its own garden, many owners say they cannot control where their cat goes, in that case they will have to be prepared for the consequences then, i do check my garden before i let my dogs out, they go out for a wee or whatever and then they come in, i don't leave them out there for long periods. Not much else you can do really, i'm not prepared to muzzle my dog in its own garden.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Because the dog is unable to relax in the garden anymore. Every time he is let out, he runs to the fence to try and get through.

As I have said, hes has already chewed through the fence.

Hes at risk of causing damage to himself as he has a fractured hip too.

Hes just frantic to get to the kitten.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 08:55 PM

That is really dreadfully sad, and I do feel very sorry to read this.
It has made me think though........we only know what we have read, i.e. that the dog had previously escaped before etc. etc., and therefore it was not properly controlled. The poor lady that Marchhound has told us about could have been in the same boat, as but for the grace of the doggy gods so could many of us. A dog hellbent on getting out of the garden to chase something will sometimes manage to find a weak spot and do just that. It does not mean that the owner is bad, or should be punished.

I am reluctant to condemn the owners of the dog in question, because I can see exactly how the incident could have happened.
Page 7 of 30 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »