Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I'm guessing because the dogs owner refused to pay. If that's the case then I bet they wish they'd just paid the bills now!
Well true - but surely PTS is a bit OTT..
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Have to agree it seems a little extream and breedist, fair enough the dog shouldnt have been lose but having the dog PTS for that is stupid!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 03:51 PM
At the bottom of the report it says:

"Lord Bonomy, who heard the appeal with Judge Brian Lockhart, said: "The information before the justice was that the same dog had previously been found in the street and that had been drawn to the appellant's attention."

"He said against that background and when faced with the circumstances of the event that gave rise to the charge he was entitled to consider a control order would not be adequate and to make an order for destruction."

If this reporting is correct, it sounds as if the owner was not taking steps to keep her dog within her boundares......

Wys
x
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 04:02 PM
This iss where I live. C-jay had escaped previousluy and been found in street The owner has other dogs who don't escape or aren't interested. We all know that fo=rom time to time you can get an inquisitive Houdini. The cat regularly enters the dogs garden and teases all the dogs hissiing spitting and sitting just out of reach.
Now I am a cat lover too I have one that nmy lad lives happily with I hate the thought of her being injured by a dog BUT she has killed many birds and many mice is that any different apart from as far as I know with the exception of the duckling none have been pets.
CJay had not attacked the cat before nor have any complaints like that been brought against him by other cat owners
A local rescue who are strongly involved with Staffys was involved in the appeal process and had rehoming been an option they would have jumped at the chance.
I sdadly fear this is an illinformed predjudiced decision beased on media hype and drivel (ie has attacked a cat could kill a child theory)

Another sad staffy stat created today
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Seems the poor dog is paying the price for the owner not upholding the first recommendation for keeping her dog under control. From the way I read it the Judge seems to think she could not stand by a previous ruling given to her so she is not likely to do it a second time around either.

So once again bad owners and the dogs pay the price.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't an amendment to the DDA recently brought in, in Scotland, which covers attacks on other animals and attacks on private land?

Previously, the cat's owner would have had to pursue this under a different Act [Dogs Act 1871 ??].

If this is right then when the amendment is adopted in England and Wales, we might see more of this happening.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Lynn whilst I agree as does the owner she is fully responsible here. After the 1st ruling she did what she thoufght was necessary to prevent escape, sadly it proved not enough. She didn't ignore the ruling and many months went by before the houdini in him allowed it to happen for a 2nd and sadly last time. I may even go as far as to say that she should as a last resort not be allowed Cjay back but he should go to the rescue who were helping with the appeal and they could rehome in (they have a non destruction policy) but PTS that is in my opinion way over the top considering in the same area a staffy was allowed to live after attacking his owners girlfriend causing significant facial injury. That staff is just subject to muzzling in public and being castrated and insured. That never even got to appeal stage the local court decided that yet for attacking a cat a destruction order is dished out - disgusted is the only word that expresses how I feel
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
how very sad. I hate it when my dogs chase my cats and have on a couple of occasions had to scream at Jake to let the cat go, having said that it's hard to change their nature. As has been said, the cats chase the birds and the dogs chase the cats. In the heat of the moment damage can be done. Seems harsh that the dog has to be put to sleep for this incident.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Lynn whilst I agree as does the owner she is fully responsible here. After the 1st ruling she did what she thoufght was necessary to prevent escape, sadly it proved not enough. She didn't ignore the ruling and many months went by before the houdini in him allowed it to happen for a 2nd and sadly last time. I may even go as far as to say that she should as a last resort not be allowed Cjay back but he should go to the rescue who were helping with the appeal and they could rehome in (they have a non destruction policy) but PTS that is in my opinion way over the top considering in the same area a staffy was allowed to live after attacking his owners girlfriend causing significant facial injury. That staff is just subject to muzzling in public and being castrated and insured. That never even got to appeal stage the local court decided that yet for attacking a cat a destruction order is dished out - disgusted is the only word that expresses how I feel
I wholeheartedly agree Lynne C-jay should be rehomed if she is unable to curb his Houdini instincts. It is so sad especially as the cat owners did not want this to happen to C-jay and the cat has survived.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't an amendment to the DDA recently brought in, in Scotland, which covers attacks on other animals and attacks on private land?

Previously, the cat's owner would have had to pursue this under a different Act [Dogs Act 1871 ??].

If this is right then when the amendment is adopted in England and Wales, we might see more of this happening.
I am not sure Melins Mumm but will find out.
Page 2 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »