Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
See below!

Considering that when you look back at some of the most influential kennels of yesteryear, and their duel/working and show lines, all seem to have a resemblance to today's "show lines,

I think its "weird" to think that the show type are not closer to breed standard than the working.

Those who actually bred the dogs for said purpose obviously thought so.

I take it you are including EVERY Peke and Pug, in that generalisation
Well since I don't personally know EVERY peke and pug of course I wouldn' include them all!

I can't believe that the practise of breeding for flat faces can be defended in anyway---can it?

Re the rest----dogs in the 20's of most breeds looked very different to the way they look now. I posted a load recently. I think they looked better then.

rune
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Found a few show collie piccies

http://www.tkdogs.com/dog_shows/2009...-gallery/page4

They all look just like carbon copies of each other.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Is it just me or do the show collies have a rounder head than the working ones?
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 04:22 PM
What I liked about the Dalmatian when looking into them was that dogs could be shown and worked and there wasn't a difference in type.

Since seeing more of the breed there do seem to be some that are very thick set and have huge heads, they make my pup look anorexic.

I found these pics on line of the 'original' Dalmatians, the are mostly stream lined and some pictures form the 1800's don't look overly different from the Dalmatians we have today, which I think is quite nice.
I do notice that quite a number have the curled 'scorpion' tail, which is considered a breed fault (which my pup also has)

http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Pietoro/tag/dalmatian
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
I know they can't be docked for Showing, but are there people that breed Welshies, purely for work??
Most of the people who work and breed also show so it's been a real dilema for them. We still see docked dogs in the ring but not many to be honest.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Found a few show collie piccies

http://www.tkdogs.com/dog_shows/2009...-gallery/page4

They all look just like carbon copies of each other.
Thats fantastic, they are supposed to be like that, breeding to the standard. Of course, you NEED to feel construction and watch movement. Coats can hide things.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
A show type English cocker spaniel:

A working type English cocker spaniel:
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:13 PM
There seems to be far more coat on todays show type cocker though, cant imagine that being helpful in the undergrowth!

The working cocker has far smaller ears which I would'nt have thought a good thing since the ears are designed to channel the scent to the nose and the working cockers ears dont even reach it's nose!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thats fantastic, they are supposed to be like that, breeding to the standard. Of course, you NEED to feel construction and watch movement. Coats can hide things.
Noooo What about individuality? Tbh, as I have said before, I find the overall look of the majority of show bred UK collies attractive (in working dogs my personal faves are always black/white, rough coated ) and so if these particular dogs could also do a proper day's work I wouldn't be too unhappy

The problem as far as I see it with collies in particular is that the show/working will never meet. The show people do not appear to be concerned with the working aspect of their dogs, and the working people definitely aren't interested in spending time in a show ring. The workers will breed the best worker to the best worker (or to a top trialler) and then show people will breed show dog to show dog, so eventually there will be an even bigger gap between the two (in drive and herding ability if nothing else).

(Shhh but I think it might be fun to stick my black/white boy in the grooming parlour and enter him in a few shows just to see how he would do But, I guess he would need to be KC reg for that?!)

What do you think? ...

Do you think he could sneak in unnoticed among the likes of this lot ...

Page 5 of 30 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »