Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Show vs Working lines...

On another thread (the Crufts one) a discussion started about the show and working lines of some breeds. I think it would be an interesting discussion to see the difference of the show and working lines of different breeds, why they developed and which started first etc, and also if people have pics of the show and working lines to see the difference in certain breeds, and old pics of the original dogs to see how they have evolved over the years.

I'm not sure of the best place for this thread, but since it is about all breeds i thought here was best rather than a breed group.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Original Labrador:

Top winning dual champion.

Working "type" now:

Winning Labs in the ring now:
http://www.pbase.com/woodmist/image/131708827

http://www.pbase.com/woodmist/image/127541325

http://www.pbase.com/woodmist/image/127273308

Show bred Labs working:
http://www.pbase.com/woodmist/image/119757169

http://www.pbase.com/woodmist/image/105003848

http://www.pbase.com/woodmist/image/87676538

In my mind there is no doubt that the show bred dog is closest to the original and can still do the job they were bred for.
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I would choose working lines every time
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
In my mind there is no doubt that the show bred dog is closest to the original and can still do the job they were bred for.
I agree - my boy is 100% working lines but full of instinct, drive and excellent in the work training we do.
The popular working lines - although I love them because they are Labradors - many could be collie mixes or lurcher mixes or anything - flyaway ears, long legs, whips for tails, snipey muzzles, no depth of chest - so very much the opposite of how Labs originally were ...
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:45 PM
There is a vast difference between the working and show lines in the English Setters. I think the last dual champion was about 15 years ago, (she was my Baileys grandmother and he would have been 14 years old this year).

Here's Henry, show type

And here is a working type that I took from the internet.

The working type would do nothing in the ring and, to be honest, I'm pretty certain that Henrys coat would hamper him in the field. The workers are tiny in comparison, slightly bigger than a springer spaniel. Henry is very birdy but I think he would be more likely to run off with anything he picked up, rather than bring it back

I expect the show type English Setters are one of the breeds most far removed from the working strain, but there were two strains started up, the Laverack and the Llewellins, one for show and one for work.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
In my other breeds there is less of a split - my Malamute is from the top show kennel but is an awesome working dog
My collie is a mix of show and working lines - couldn't be shown as is oversize, but has worked sheep successfully.

My Norwich is from show lines and I do not wish to see if she has working instincts since 62 members of my family are ratties
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:49 PM
A friend has a Lindall line (show) Labrador and he is one of the most gorgeous Labs I have ever seen. He also apparently has working instinct/ability in abundance.

Having said that, one of the young gamekeepers here on the estate has both yellow and black Labs who I am assuming are from working lines (as they are working dogs) and they are all really stunning looking dogs too - who can do the job.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Working lines for me apart from Setters, i like the long coats on them so it would be a show type. Other than that im a working girl..... Erm.... that didnt come out the way i wanted it to rofl
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Working lines for me apart from Setters, i like the long coats on them so it would be a show type. Other than that im a working girl..... Erm.... that didnt come out the way i wanted it to rofl
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 10:05 PM
the show springers are lovely, but just don't do it for me, and the couple i have had on foster have lacked the drive of their working cousins, and have all been clipped to stop them getting matted up which makes me think that all that coat would be an hindrance in the field.

I love my workers, i like their personality, drive and down right enthusiasm for life.

Meg is my favourite looking out of mine, and probably nearest to the breed standard she's like a solid little tank and a fantastic worker

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »