Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
I noticed in the "dogs today" magazine there is an A-Z of breeds...cockapoo and labradoodle included!
Also Goldendoodles mine had a two page spread in there in Aprils edition.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 07:07 PM
We met someone today with 2 dogs, one I knew was a Bichon Frise (my Sister has one) and I asked what the other one was and was told a "Cavachon"! (Cavalier King Charles spaniel x Bichon Frise I presume)

Nice little dog but it was very fat so spoilt the look of it.

Is this the latest cross to take over from Poodle crosses?
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
We met someone today with 2 dogs, one I knew was a Bichon Frise (my Sister has one) and I asked what the other one was and was told a "Cavachon"! (Cavalier King Charles spaniel x Bichon Frise I presume)

Nice little dog but it was very fat so spoilt the look of it.

Is this the latest cross to take over from Poodle crosses?
They've been breeding this cross in the USA and Canada for at least 15 years that I know of, so nothing 'latest' about it.

Ruby
KatieSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2010, 10:45 AM
A friend of ours has an American Treeclimbing Coonhound and gets told that she is a Beagle/Pointer cross. Just because she is a very uncommon breed in the uk.

I think it is a sign of the times that people are breeding different breeds and if the public didn't buy them they wouldn't be so popular and so many wouldn't be breeding them. I think some of the names are a tad silly but the dogs are lovely on the whole, though I can't say i have seen all of the crosses around. Each to their own though. Personally, we love Labs and wouldn't have any other breed but the Labradoodles do look very sweet if they are not the curly ones. That said it is Labs all the way for us. Is there really one called a "Jack s*** or "Bulls***" though?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by KatieSmith View Post
A friend of ours has an American Treeclimbing Coonhound and gets told that she is a Beagle/Pointer cross. Just because she is a very uncommon breed in the uk.

I think it is a sign of the times that people are breeding different breeds and if the public didn't buy them they wouldn't be so popular and so many wouldn't be breeding them. I think some of the names are a tad silly but the dogs are lovely on the whole, though I can't say i have seen all of the crosses around. Each to their own though. Personally, we love Labs and wouldn't have any other breed but the Labradoodles do look very sweet if they are not the curly ones. That said it is Labs all the way for us. Is there really one called a "Jack s*** or "Bulls***" though?
I think it is a sign of the times that some people feel the need to have a dog which appears to be of an unusual breed but is in fact just a cross breed or mongrel and that they are happy to pay large amounts of money for these dogs when they could adopt a dog of no particular breed for next to nothing from a rescue.

Kate can I ask why you wouldn't have Labradoodles? Incidentally do please post pictures of your Labs, we would all love to see them
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=Minihaha;2049941]I think it is a sign of the times that some people feel the need to have a dog which appears to be of an unusual breed but is in fact just a cross breed or mongrel and that they are happy to pay large amounts of money for these dogs when they could adopt a dog of no particular breed for next to nothing from a rescue. /QUOTE]

I must admit this "Cavachon" looked like a little dog you would get from a rescue, and not one you had paid a few hundred pounds for but each to their own!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I think it is a sign of the times that people are breeding different breeds and if the public didn't buy them they wouldn't be so popular and so many wouldn't be breeding them.
If the breeders, breeding them told the truth about these crosses and didnt try and make them into something their not. Im sure the public would think twice about what their supporting!
KatieSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
If the breeders, breeding them told the truth about these crosses and didnt try and make them into something their not. Im sure the public would think twice about what their supporting!
I agree entirely, it makes me so mad that these breeders are making false claims about the dogs being nonshedding ect. My husband works for our Local Authority dealing with the licencing and control of breeders and he gets so frustrated about it.
Minihaha I have posted pictures on the other thread you requested them on and as I said on the post we love Labs and that is why we have them so wouldn't consider any other breed of dog. Why don't you have them?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2010, 11:18 PM
I agree entirely, it makes me so mad that these breeders are making false claims about the dogs being nonshedding ect. My husband works for our Local Authority dealing with the licencing and control of breeders and he gets so frustrated about it.
Minihaha I have posted pictures on the other thread you requested them on and as I said on the post we love Labs and that is why we have them so wouldn't consider any other breed of dog. Why don't you have them?
Kate I notice you posted pictures of the dogs you used to have... very nice .

You said in your previous post
..we love Labs and wouldn't have any other breed but the Labradoodles do look very sweet if they are not the curly ones
.. you have mentioned Labradoodles in a number of your posts so I wondered if you would consider having one

You ask why I don't have Labradoodles, I don't agree with people crossbreeding dogs and charging lots of money for them when the rescues are full of cross breed dogs needing homes. I also like to have a dog with particular breed traits.
However since you ask if I just wanted any dog and not one with particular breed traits I would be happy to have a rescue Labradoodle.
KatieSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Kate I notice you posted pictures of the dogs you used to have... very nice .

You said in your previous post
.. you have mentioned Labradoodles in a number of your posts so I wondered if you would consider having one

You ask why I don't have Labradoodles, I don't agree with people crossbreeding dogs and charging lots of money for them when the rescues are full of cross breed dogs needing homes. I also like to have a dog with particular breed traits.
However since you ask if I just wanted any dog and not one with particular breed traits I would be happy to have a rescue Labradoodle.
As far as I am aware I have only mentioned them on this crossbreed thread. I thought I had made it clear that I don't agree with this fad of crossbreeding and the high costs. As for rescue dogs well both Dyson and Henry are both from Labrador Rescue as I have never and would never buy a dog from a breeder
Page 6 of 28 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »