Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Nothing wrong with cross-breeds or mongrels.
something very wrong with dressing up the former for profit. Equally stupid are the dozies that fall for it all.
I agree, and the same can be said of those that market their purebred dogs for profit.

In the large landmass area (province 2 1/2 times bigger than the UK) where I live the two major city shelter systems place all healthy and adoptable - and those only make ~20% of the numbers to replace dogs here lost just due to attrition. Our demand far outstrips what our shelters can offer.

There is not an overpopulation, although that doesn't make light of the fact that it is still hard work to place the larger rambunctious young dogs and the older dogs with needs.

We traditionally have not embraced the purebred breeding system - with not much more that 10% of dogs here ever registered, and I honestly don't want it pushed here or held up as ideal as I like what we have. Therefore I have no problem with mixes or pures being bred, but I dislike it when the main motivation is for profit.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Nothing wrong with cross-breeds or mongrels.
something very wrong with dressing up the former for profit. Equally stupid are the dozies that fall for it all.
Agreed. Well said.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 07:02 PM
"they are often pushed as being more healthy than pedigrees because they are cross breeds,"

Yes and people believe it! I know a lady at our old training club who bought a Labradoodle (or should that be Pooador?) because she used to breed Irish Wolfhounds and was concerned about the high incidence of bad hip scores in the breed so went for a cross-breed. When I asked her if the parents had been hip-scored she said no!!

What is the point of some of them as well? If you want a pet for someone with allergies wouldn't it be better to get a non-mloulting pedigree? it would be heartbreaking to have to send a dog back if you got the wrong coat texture as happens sometimes ie a Lab type coat.
We know of someone who bought a Kerry x Poodle. Why? They are both non-shedding breeds and this one was fesity and yappy-hardly the best of both breeds.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 07:05 PM
I have no problem with it if relevant health checks for both breeds are done, homes are available and the buyers do know they are paying for a cross bred dog without a pedigree. Too often they are kidded to think they are something special.

rune
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I don't agree with the deliberate cross-breeding of pedigree dogs to supply the pet market - most only breed for money and not for the health or benefit of the dog. There are more than enough breeds to suit specific requirements for each individual person and their circumstances and environment.

There are also breed rescues and crossbreed rescues for specific crosses that they may be interested in.

Just because they are crossbreed doesn't automatically mean they will be healthier than well bred, well reared pedigree dogs. Although, I do believe that crossbreeds are generally healthier than pedigrees. JMO and going by the prices of insurance etc for them. Some will also shed when people are told that they won't!

I also don't agree with these puppies then being sold for hundreds, sometimes over £1000. I think it's unneccessary and wrong and really makes me angry as there are so many lovely, healthy crossbreed dogs in rescues all over the country, and the world.

However, with regards to working type dogs such as Dogs for the Disabled, Guide dogs and Hearing Dogs etc, I'm about 20/80 in agreement for deliberately bred crossbreed dogs, BUT obviously only if they come from good stock with proven working lines etc and all health tests have been carried out properly and are acceptable before breeding. In saying that, again, there are a number of breeds already suitable to do all of these dogs.

I have absolutely no problem with crossbreeds in general, I love most of them. I have one myself and probably will have more of them in my lifetime, but they will all be rescues and not bought from a breeder.

I maintain that if someone specifically wants a crossbreed (which is absolutely fine), then there are plenty in rescue centres and particular crossbreed rescues for them to choose from, in all different colours, shapes and sizes.
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
"they are often pushed as being more healthy than pedigrees because they are cross breeds,"

Yes and people believe it! I know a lady at our old training club who bought a Labradoodle (or should that be Pooador?) because she used to breed Irish Wolfhounds and was concerned about the high incidence of bad hip scores in the breed so went for a cross-breed. When I asked her if the parents had been hip-scored she said no!!

What is the point of some of them as well? If you want a pet for someone with allergies wouldn't it be better to get a non-mloulting pedigree? it would be heartbreaking to have to send a dog back if you got the wrong coat texture as happens sometimes ie a Lab type coat.
We know of someone who bought a Kerry x Poodle. Why? They are both non-shedding breeds and this one was fesity and yappy-hardly the best of both breeds.
Completely agree with these two posts, and I've always said, labradoodles wouldn't be half as popular if they'd been called pooadors!!!

I have no problem with people breeding companion animals, whether pedigree or not, as long as they health test and abide by the same guidance for breeding, as responsible pedigree breeders are expected to adhere to, unfortunately the vast majority don't.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
lol this topic is relentless!

Im of the opinion of the owners do there research like they should with any dog they hope to own, know what they're getting into, and the breeders do the relevant tests which some do there is no problem.

The issue is with all dogs, bad owners who dont know any better or dont care and bad breeders who care even less, not "breed" specific.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I have a cross breed - money grabbing breeders would sell her as a Cava-Zhu. I like to think of her as my lovely little -'accident'

gsd lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 01:23 PM
ok so i think there are both good and bad points to these breeds some of them are bred for being low alergy so people who couldnt have dogs before can now altho most of them come with douple the health problems from both the parent breeds and because of the demand for these some of them are being bred iresponsibly and are adding yet more health problems to the dogs dont get me wrong tho they are lovely dogs and is nothing wrong with cross breeds i lost my german shepherd x blacklab cross 2 years ago to cancer and he was one of the best dogs ive had. i have a pedigree gsd now and if i was to pick another cross breed id go to my local shelter and pick one from there rather than a cross breeder i think if new breeds are to be introduced then more time should be spent getting rid of the health issues in them rather than the way they look.
Eumaeus
New Member!
Female 

14-08-2010, 06:37 AM
My biggest gripe is with the need for everything to have a fancy name. I have to say that I take the problem back to the "bad" pedigree breeders who have bred so many problems into their dogs, and then charge the earth for them. So people now think they can produce cross-breeds, knowing that people are becoming wary of pedigree health issues, and charge just as much for them because they "won't have the health problems". I honestly think that if pedigree breeders had ALL been a little more ethical about their breeding then people wouldn't feel the need to be paying high prices for the so-called designer breeds (I REALLY am no tsaying all breeders here, I know there are great and lovely breeders, but we all know that there are also very bad breeders out there). I love mongrels/mutts/crossbreeds/call them what you will. But I don't feel the need to give them a fancy name.

Maxine - thank you for posting the picture of your very handsome springador/mutt. He is gorgeous and would be a cross I wouldn't have thought about if I hadn't seen him.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I watched a USA programme about these dogs and it was a positive programme, told of the pros and cons of these dogs.

If people are buying them, then there is a place for them. However, humans are by no means perfect, no only do some people breed for money , with no regard for the dogs/pups but people also rush out and buys pups and are not bothered about offering a forever home This is where problems arise.
Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »