Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2010, 09:00 PM

Designer Breed Dogs What Do You Think?

Well when you breed your supposed to only breed well a good breeder will only breed a bitch or a sire that is the best example of the breed right??

What about Designer Breeds such as Shorkie,Chorkie,Labradoodle,Cockapoo ect.. im not saying their bad dogs my sister owns a Shorkie , but there is an over population problem and these dogs arent reconized by a club such as AKC ,CKC ect... and i volenteer in a shelter i see more of these "designer" breeds in the shelter without homes more than mutts,purbreds ect... why is this??

and any opinion you'd like i was just wondering for sake of dicussion
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Oh dear, this thread could end up being locked! Well I have one of these designer breeds that will be called a Springador by some and a mutt by others. He's a rescue, amazingly handsome and very slightly mad when it comes to trains, model aircraft and the hosepipe.

kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2010, 09:34 PM
You cannot deny these designer dogs are lovely, like the one in the photos, my only concern is back in the day they were called cross breeds and mongrels and they did not cost much to buy one. With the label designer dog it feels a bit as though people are paying a lot more for the label rather than the dog which i don't think is fair ( although i do know owners of these dogs will think they are worth every penny and i certainly wouldn't argue that).
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2010, 10:17 PM
I have serious issues with it. Don't get me wrong, I love crossbreeds to death, many are goregous and intelligent and I'll definately be owning them in the future. However, I intend to rescue. In my opinion, if you want to show off about your dog's breeds, get a pedigree or stop waving it in my face.

'I have a cockapoo!'
'No, you have a mutt.'

Just...ugh...it is really one of my pet hates. The only ones I have little trouble with are springadors and sprockers. Don't know why, maybe because they don't seem to be so in your face as the 'poo' breeds.

It also annoys me when in the free ads you'll see KC registered labs or other popular breeds costing half of what these designer dogs are. A lot of breeders seem to be using it as a way to make a quick buck and to be honest, that's neither good for the mother, the pups, or the potential new owners.

(By the way Maxine, Oskar is gorgeous <3)
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Luckypirate View Post
I have serious issues with it. Don't get me wrong, I love crossbreeds to death, many are goregous and intelligent and I'll definately be owning them in the future. However, I intend to rescue. In my opinion, if you want to show off about your dog's breeds, get a pedigree or stop waving it in my face.

'I have a cockapoo!'
'No, you have a mutt.'

Just...ugh...it is really one of my pet hates. The only ones I have little trouble with are springadors and sprockers. Don't know why, maybe because they don't seem to be so in your face as the 'poo' breeds.

It also annoys me when in the free ads you'll see KC registered labs or other popular breeds costing half of what these designer dogs are. A lot of breeders seem to be using it as a way to make a quick buck and to be honest, that's neither good for the mother, the pups, or the potential new owners.

(By the way Maxine, Oskar is gorgeous <3)
Cheers! We are very lucky to have him.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by spaznchevy View Post
Well when you breed your supposed to only breed well a good breeder will only breed a bitch or a sire that is the best example of the breed right??

What about Designer Breeds such as Shorkie,Chorkie,Labradoodle,Cockapoo ect.. im not saying their bad dogs my sister owns a Shorkie , but there is an over population problem and these dogs arent reconized by a club such as AKC ,CKC ect... and i volenteer in a shelter i see more of these "designer" breeds in the shelter without homes more than mutts,purebreds ect... why is this??

and any opinion you'd like i was just wondering for sake of discussion
Probably because the dogs behind the crosses were not representative (in terms of temperament) of their breeds. No reputable breeder would allow their dogs to be used in crossbreeding, so the people producing "designer" dogs throw any two purebreds together without a second thought and give it a fancy name. If you breed a mad backyard bred Standard Poodle (they can be quite stubborn and very energetic anyway) to a mad backyard Labrador (very demanding as youngsters, slow to mature and bouncy anyway), the crossbred pups are going to have the same nature. New owner can't handle the pup, the 'breeder' can't/won't take the pup back and the pup ends up in rescue.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2010, 11:20 PM
sorry all did'nt mean to start a thread that may become locked my mistake
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi,

I think where ever you go there will be designer breeds, crossbreeds, mutts, mogrels and purebreeds. Then you have those on top that are KC registered.

Now, I don't take any notice fo anyone telling me their dog is KC registered or has a 5 gen pedigree. The reason for thsi is that I've seen a pedigree (drawn up by the owner fo the sire and dam) which stated the great grandfather of the dam was "Wayne". Very professional!

Aside fromt hat, ALL fo my dogs, including my croxxbreed bitch (GSD/Akita) are KC registered - thay are all on the activity register. So for me, it depends on what is actually said and I'd always want to see the paperwork if someone claimed registration.

I do agree though that BYB's should be stopped, regardless of whether they have 2 dogs of t4he same breed or are trying to cross 2 dogs to get designer dog.

of course, purebreed dogs now started off as dogs being crossed with other breeds at some point, but there's no need for any other breeds at the moment and aside from that, whatever anyone wants from a dog, can already be obtasined with the dogs we already have here - whether purebreeds or mongrels.

Ellie is the only crossbreed I have and I'm very proud to be her owner. Of all of them, she's the dog who's had least training and has learned the most. She won't fetch a ball (just like Hachi for those who've seen it), but she will follow my Son around and wait for him.
But with respect to designer breeds, does this mean that Ellie is a German Akita? Or a Japanese Shepherd? Maybe a Germita? Or a Japherd?
To me, she's just Ellie and I love her just the way she is.

The others need constant training day in, day out and those are all purebred dogs with behaviours and temperaments that should be easily predicted.

Also, what happens when those designer dogs who end up in rescue are also those with the worst traits of their parents rather than the best traits? Imagine the worst case of herding from a badly bred BC mixed with the over-protective guarding instinct of a badly bred GSD - I doubt such a dog would get past it's first birthday without being in rescue at least once and possibly PTS, just because owners don't know how to work with dogs, where to get the help or how to handle them.

If someone is a reputable breeder and can bring something positive to the breed by having a litter, then fine (although I don't think anyone should be breeding at the moment with so many dogs in rescues). But I think those who have 2 dogs purely as pets should either be forced to have both of them speyed/neutere, or if they do allow their dogs to breed unnecessarily, they should be hit with an extremely large fine and removal of the pups. Then hopefully people would think twice.

Laura xx
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by spaznchevy View Post
sorry all did'nt mean to start a thread that may become locked my mistake

What I meant was this is a subject that can and sometimes has resulted in heated debate. You haven't done anything wrong, in fact sometimes these threads are very entertaining until they get locked!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm on the fence. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with breeding cross breeds, as long as there is a purpose for it other than making money. The parents should be healthy and more importantly, the pups should be healthy, if not healthier.

For example, the "chiweenie" Dachshund X Chihuahua. Very popular here and a money maker which I hate BUT, they don't have the IVDD (back problems) that dachshunds have because they have more evenly proportioned backs, and they don't have the orthopedic problems that come from the very tiny chihuahua, because crossing them with dachshunds makes them larger in general. Not saying you can't get a chiweenie with health problems but crossing the two has created a dog that doesn't suffer from the common problems of the parent breed.

Now thats not true of all cross breeds for sure. Many people just breed two dogs together and hope for the best without any real clue as to why they chose to mix those two breeds.

I live in Texas and around here a very popular ranch working stock dog is an ACD X Border Collie or ACD X Aussie Shepherd, or some other combination of those three breeds. Ranchers here will take proven working stockdogs of either breed and mate them to produce puppies with qualities of each parent that are complimentary. I've seen these dogs work and they are incredible and perfectly suited to what they do.

Now that said, they don't sell these pups for obscene amounts of money and rarely do they end up in pet homes. These are working dogs, bred for a purpose. They do have a designer name though, they are called "Texas Heelers"

So I can see where cross breeding has its purpose. I just hate that some people do it for no other purpose than to make money!
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »