Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I help out at the Labradoodle Trust and we have had dogs in that have come from gundog kennels. He'd been left in the kennel for 7 months with minimal human contact until he came here. He was a killer, brilliant ratter and fantastic termperament but very very strong prey drive. Was in rescue for 10 months before a good home was found for him. They have a very large paddock so he can free run!
Some are donated to the assistance dog charities but I don't know what their success rate is with them.

Thanks, he sounds like he would of been a great worker, but then as both breeds were working dogs originally I don't think that it should be so surprising , but I wonder how many people take in the background of the breeds before they get a dog, as I have little experience with these type of dogs as I use to work in some boarding kennels, and they were some of the most high energy type dogs there were, and only two of the sixteen regulars looked remotly simalar.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by dog-nut View Post
That's exactly how almost all modern breeds were formed.

There was a new job to be done...and crossing breeds was performed in order to design a dog better to the new task.

The only difference between real breeds and designer dogs is that people ignorant of genetics decided that "pure" breeding was a great idea.
It would have been a great idea, if the breed groups weren't so anal and obsessed with "purity of breed" and seeking a very limited standard appearance.

The main purpose of "designer" dogs nowadays is to create a great family dog...which is the main new "occupation" of dogs.
Therefore, there are many crossbreedings of poodles with retrievers.
This generally produces low-shed, highly intelligent, friendly and fun dogs, that are very patient with children.

Sorry...but very intelligent and knowledgeable folk are buying these dogs, for these very reasons.

There are excellent breeders, mediocre breeders and breeders who should be shot....just like with purebred dog breeders.

Picture of Ernie with my grandson:

Thats a nice looking dog, but if there wasn't purebreeds then he wouldn't be around, as you wouldn't have the breeds to cross, so you owe your dog to pedigree dogs, even if it isn't a pedigree dog
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2009, 08:40 AM
That's exactly how almost all modern breeds were formed.

There was a new job to be done...and crossing breeds was performed in order to design a dog better to the new task.
Exactly, breeds where bred for a purpose, there is already a breed to suite every purpose anyone would ever need.

The only difference between real breeds and designer dogs is that people ignorant of genetics decided that "pure" breeding was a great idea.
It would have been a great idea, if the breed groups weren't so anal and obsessed with "purity of breed" and seeking a very limited standard appearance.

Sorry, you will have to explain that one... are you saying those who breed designer dogs are the only ones educated in genetics

The main purpose of "designer" dogs nowadays is to create a great family dog...which is the main new "occupation" of dogs.Therefore, there are many crossbreedings of poodles with retrievers.
This generally produces low-shed, highly intelligent, friendly and fun dogs, that are very patient with children.
There are hundreds of breeds already that fit into the criteria of a good family pets.... the Golden Retriever being one, the Poodle being another.

As for them being none shedding...well again, it will be down to luck, depending on what genetic traits push there way to the forefront of the mix..

As in your boy... he has inherited almost all poodle genetic traits, in looks as well as coat...

The reason for the creation of the Designer X is simple, to make money and fool people into thinking they have something specail..that no other breed can forfill

Sorry...but very intelligent and knowledgeable folk are buying these dogs, for these very reasons.
Sorry, most people will beg to differ on that.... sometimes the most intelligent are not always blessed with most common sense

There are excellent breeders, mediocre breeders and breeders who should be shot....just like with purebred dog breeders.
These will be few on the ground sadly, as you have found out yourself... most of the breeders who produce these crossbreeds take little account of health....

You have said yourself , your breeder did not do any heath tests on her breeding stock...

The point being most people who breed these crosses, will be breeding with medico dogs, many not registered, many not health tested..

The simple fact is, NO reputable breeder of any pedigree breed would add their name to a designer dog or allow their pedigrees to be used to flood a designer market
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Here is a quote from Wally Conron, the first person to cross these in Australia back in the 80's

Wally Conron (the man who first bred the Labradoodle for the Royal Guide Dogs Association in Victoria, Australia) once said

"I have opened a Pandora's Box. I'd be the first to come out and admit that. It's a pity, really...we had gone to great lengths to ensure the poodles we used did not have any problems," notes Conron, who feels the same cannot be said of many of today's breeders.

"I think it is a recipe for disaster because they are breeding with dogs that have hereditary problems".
"Another concern is that people are being mislead into believing that labradoodles as well as other poodle crosses all have allergy friendly coats and do not shed. This is not the case and their coats and saliva have to be specially tested," Conron says. "At the Royal Guide Dogs,for instance, we had one litter where there were ten puppies and out of those only two were non allergenic.".

Apparently he has been known to say that he wishes he never did start this!
Becky
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Have been really tempted to tell folk who run full pelt toward Jacub shouting 'snowdog snowdog' at the top of their voice that he is a 'Siberlaskan Huskamute' I imported from the Arctic circle, but I can't keep a straight face

They usually glaze over when I say he is a mongrel One lovely lady stood for over 15 minutes explaining to me that out of all my dogs Jacub was the real 'snowdog' because he looked like the ones she had seen in Disney films.

He might be a really handsome boy but he 'Disney' have a pedigree

Seoniad.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I think some people need to make their mind up. On one thread they are slating Chihuahuas because they have "huge heads, short muzzles, bulging eyes..." (which they actually don't if they are bred properly - the eyes I'm talking about). Then on another thread they are basically saying there's no need for crossbreeds
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Here is a quote from Wally Conron, the first person to cross these in Australia back in the 80's

Wally Conron (the man who first bred the Labradoodle for the Royal Guide Dogs Association in Victoria, Australia) once said

"I have opened a Pandora's Box. I'd be the first to come out and admit that. It's a pity, really...we had gone to great lengths to ensure the poodles we used did not have any problems," notes Conron, who feels the same cannot be said of many of today's breeders.

"I think it is a recipe for disaster because they are breeding with dogs that have hereditary problems".
"Another concern is that people are being mislead into believing that labradoodles as well as other poodle crosses all have allergy friendly coats and do not shed. This is not the case and their coats and saliva have to be specially tested," Conron says. "At the Royal Guide Dogs,for instance, we had one litter where there were ten puppies and out of those only two were non allergenic.".

Apparently he has been known to say that he wishes he never did start this!
Becky
Good post Becky, shame something that was thought o be a good thing, escalates into a money making scheme by the unscrupulous..

Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I think some people need to make their mind up. On one thread they are slating Chihuahuas because they have "huge heads, short muzzles, bulging eyes..." (which they actually don't if they are bred properly - the eyes I'm talking about). Then on another thread they are basically saying there's no need for crossbreeds
I think some peopel are very clear in their thoughts.

Re Chi`s.... Is it true they only breed from the "big" ones (non standard) because the standard are to small to breed from.... an why would that be.. because they have huge heads, unable to whelp properly.... do they not even the best of them have bulging eyes...

How can that be confused with disagreeing with designer breeding.

one is doing it for money the other is breding to a standard, that if whelping is problem, needs to be looked at , and standard changed .

Still not sure where your two comments are connected.

You dont have to X a Chi to fix any problems,, jus tweak the standard of the existing dogs
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 09:12 AM
No - I think you will find people will say bad breders are bad breeders, it does not matter whether they are throwing together 2 dogs and charging huge amounts for them or continuing to breed dogs who (through hamun error) have problems.
This thread happens to be about designer dogs - assuming from the OP she meant crosses.

Most doodle crosses I have met have looked So much like poodles I really don't see the point in the cross. I do think a lot of the problem comes form the fact that people have a (very wrong) stereotype of how a poodle behaves.

The poodles I have met have been fantastic working dogs with a great attitude and lovely temperment. I have also been to see several elderly people who have taken on poodles not realising that they have so much character.

And the funniest has to be a Labradoodle owner I went to see, when we were talking about the cross, (he was Very poodle like) I mentioed this....and gher response was 'Yes - but at least he has hair on his nose....I couldn't have a dog with a bald nose!'

There is a lady who does HtM (she has also trained it to be her assitance dog) with a smooth haired one....I always point people towards her when they say that they always come out with the poodle coat
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I never slated them I stated a fact and I have NOT commented on this thread either!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 09:21 AM
So Tilly must be a colliedor - I actually think it's a really nice mix

Bint - my hubby uses it all the time (not to me though!) I thought it was a northen thing & people down here don't tend to use it.
Page 7 of 30 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »