View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't be impressed if you called me a bint its not a complimentory expression.What would Brinley be called he's a Collie Staffie x
dog-nut
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I may be completely wrong here but effectively aren't all dogs crossbreeds of some description??

I've been reading a dog breeds book lately and a lot of the breeds listed in there say "[Insert breed name] was bred from X and Y to create a dog that was suitable for.......".

I think IMO that if you trace a breed's history back far enough it probably came about from crossbreeding its just back then it was done for a purpose other that "design".

I might be completely off the mark, thats just the way i perceived the book I was reading.

That's exactly how almost all modern breeds were formed.

There was a new job to be done...and crossing breeds was performed in order to design a dog better to the new task.

The only difference between real breeds and designer dogs is that people ignorant of genetics decided that "pure" breeding was a great idea.
It would have been a great idea, if the breed groups weren't so anal and obsessed with "purity of breed" and seeking a very limited standard appearance.

The main purpose of "designer" dogs nowadays is to create a great family dog...which is the main new "occupation" of dogs.
Therefore, there are many crossbreedings of poodles with retrievers.
This generally produces low-shed, highly intelligent, friendly and fun dogs, that are very patient with children.

Sorry...but very intelligent and knowledgeable folk are buying these dogs, for these very reasons.

There are excellent breeders, mediocre breeders and breeders who should be shot....just like with purebred dog breeders.

Picture of Ernie with my grandson:

rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Your grandson is adorable, and so is Ernie! (Grandma in waiting here).

I'm with dog-nut on this one.

I am from Canada and here 90% of our dogs are not registered - as in are mutts. Many of those mutts are pedigreed but not pure (deliberately) especially those bred to work (from farm/ranch country such as I am familiar with). There always have been purposely bred mutts, and always will be.

I also have no problem with portmanteau names - can't understand how they are offensive.

For man to stop "dabbling" to achieve constantly changing dog purposes would be changing the man/dog evolutionary relationship of history and I think that would be sad.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 06:12 AM
[QUOTE=magpye;1711401]This is pretty old ground we have been over portmanteau names (meaning when the beginning of one word is run into the end of another word to create a hybrid meaning) before and yes I do own a Huskamute I think it has a nicer ring to it and is easier to say than Husky malamute cross... On my more 'can't be bothered to explain it' days I have been known to cally her an Alaskan Husky too!

There is a difference between running the two names together because it's cute sounding and deliberately cross breeding 'designer dogs' to order.

My aunty had an adorable Jack Sh*t for instance and Madmare I'm sure Shady can be an adorable 'Germiler rottherd' How posh does that sound!!!

There are two issues I think is what I am saying.. The wrong and bad practice of breeding 'overpriced designer dogs'. Which I think we can all agree is terrible blah blah blah

And the more harmless fashion for creating portmanteau names for cross breeds to make them sound less derogatory that 'mutt' or 'mongrel'.

I think it's worth finding out which the er 'bint' has before damning her or the breeder. She may have paid a perfectly ordinary sum of money for a Springer Labrador cross which is a relatively common gun dog cross and may just prefer the portmanteau name?

(bint is definitely derogatory down here in darkest Essexland.. I'd not be impressed if anyone called me a bint)[/QUOTE]

I'm an Essex girl not that far from you originally - where i used to live its just another word like "bird" typically a fella's term. Looking at some of the meanings from others it obviously depends on where you live i think. My brothers sometime use the term but not as a derogatory word just an another word for woman.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 06:44 AM
We have a "Min-Pin-Poo" at training, and the owner insists that it is a breed, and not a cross-breed

Incidentally, I have an acquaintance with a Labradoodle, who paid through the nose for him

However, I think she's been taken in on 2 counts, 1 - the price and 2 - the fact that he looks more like a springer-cross than anything to do with a Labrador or Poodle! I must get pics of him!
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

So my Ellie who i s a GSD x Akita is a German Akita? Or Japanese Shepherd? Or a Germita? or a Japshep? etc etc etc

Laura xx
I have one of these too. Willow's posh name is a 'Shakita'
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Bint was used by soldiers in WW2 serving in Arab countries as a slang term for women (as opposed to Ladies). That`s what my dad said when I asked him once on hearing him use it anyway. He also said I mustn`t use it cos it`s rude.
I`ve got a hound / beagle / greek hunting dog type - any ideas? Bounder? Stavros Heagle?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Does anyone know if any Labrador cross poodles have been used for working, as I have been thinking about this cross and think that in the right hands, if both parents were good gun dogs then the pups might have a good chance of being good workers but I'm not sure and wondered if anyone knew if this has been tried?
I help out at the Labradoodle Trust and we have had dogs in that have come from gundog kennels. He'd been left in the kennel for 7 months with minimal human contact until he came here. He was a killer, brilliant ratter and fantastic termperament but very very strong prey drive. Was in rescue for 10 months before a good home was found for him. They have a very large paddock so he can free run!
Some are donated to the assistance dog charities but I don't know what their success rate is with them.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There are quite a few poodle crosses about round here. They seem like very active dogs, and their owners seem to adore them. It`s early days yet, though. One thing - do you have to have doodle clipped / groomed every few weeks like a full poodle if it`s got the poodle coat?
It depends on the coat type and the generation and poodle %. The vast majority of first crosses will moult to a degree, I know I have to sweep up 6 inches of hair out of their kennels everyday! Yes those that are prepared to put up with such a high energy dog do love them to bits, but they are very much a handful, need a huge amount of exercise and a direction for their brains!

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I may be completely wrong here but effectively aren't all dogs crossbreeds of some description??
They were originally until they created the dog that they wanted for whatever purpose they wanted, working or companion (as they are the two main groups for dog breed 'creation').

The only difference between real breeds and designer dogs is that people ignorant of genetics decided that "pure" breeding was a great idea.
It would have been a great idea, if the breed groups weren't so anal and obsessed with "purity of breed" and seeking a very limited standard appearance.
You wouldn't have a breed unless it bred true to type and whilst there may be a few obsessives there are many who put health and temperament first

The main purpose of "designer" dogs nowadays is to create a great family dog...which is the main new "occupation" of dogs.
This generally produces low-shed, highly intelligent, friendly and fun dogs, that are very patient with children.
Sadly that simply isn't true. They don't make great pets unless youa re prepared for a very high maintenance dog in terms of attention and energy requirements. The crossing of these breeds does not produce low-shedding, friendly dogs that are patient with childrem. I know I see the large numbers of dogs that are given up because they DO NOT live upto this reputation. The Labradoodle Trust are desperately trying to educate people of the true nature of these crosses to prevent the large numbers that turn up in rescue (on average they have 20+ dogs in their care at any one time and many of them need an intensive amount of rehabilitation before they can even be considered for adoption) Several have had to be PTS for unprovoked and sustained attacks on people.

Sorry...but very intelligent and knowledgeable folk are buying these dogs, for these very reasons.
Even the most intelligent of people can be misled!

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
We have a "Min-Pin-Poo" at training, and the owner insists that it is a breed, and not a cross-breed

Incidentally, I have an acquaintance with a Labradoodle, who paid through the nose for him

However, I think she's been taken in on 2 counts, 1 - the price and 2 - the fact that he looks more like a springer-cross than anything to do with a Labrador or Poodle! I must get pics of him!
There in lines the problem, people thin k they are a real breed, even if you show them the parents who clearly aren't the same!
As to price, the recession appears to have played a part and prices seem to have dropped considerably in the main, some crosses are going for as little as £100 now as they can't find homes for them!
As for the one that looks like a springer, there are a few doodle puppy farmers who are claiming multi-generation doodles that look like they have jack russell, collie, pointer and a good deal else in their lines!
Buyer Beware!
Becky
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Freddie is gorgeous.
Cheers, we think so too!

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Looks like a Sprointer to me
Could be...but he is a very stocky little chap and when he stands next to my GSP or ESS he's a completely different build and shape.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by dog-nut View Post
That's exactly how almost all modern breeds were formed.

There was a new job to be done...and crossing breeds was performed in order to design a dog better to the new task.

There are excellent breeders, mediocre breeders and breeders who should be shot....just like with purebred dog breeders.

Picture of Ernie with my grandson:

As already mentioned above, without breed standards there would not be breeds, but a bunch of generic looking dogs. You obviously are not a fan of "anally bred" pedigree dogs, so why do you own a cross between two? why not get a purebred 'mutt'?

As for crossing Poodles and Golden Retrievers to make good family dogs, why not get a pure Golden or a Poodle? both of them make great family dogs in their own right, especially Goldens.
Page 6 of 30 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »