Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post

From the crippled beast that could barely drag its own weight up the garden path....

...to the magnificent athelete of today.

100 years of KC mismanagement.
It is sad to say it is only one of many breeds that, IMO Man has 'fiddled' with far too much. The original breed must have been far healthier with less problems.

Definately some breeds have been meddled with to almost comic-like proportions and they are a but a shadow of their original ancesters.

When I look back on lots of these old pics, I often prefer the breeds as they originally were!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by dardar View Post
bruno looks ok, but the majority of show staffs today are 2 to 3 inchs smaller in height than the original standard and are getting more and more like bulldogs. this is the first time in 25 years i have been without a stafford because i dont like the way they are going, ie. short muzzle's, and frog like eyes and very bully. i still love them though.(the old type).
I do agree with you to some extent, but i think its lots to do with bad breeding practices, but thats why I have rescues - bruno is a slightly taller than most you see staffie, he is what many class as an old style big boy !!

Well bred others though are still stunning and there are many on here !!!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 09:32 PM
i did a presentation at college few months ago - party on thist topic...

shame my old computer went bust else i would have shared it.....

GSD are to me the most shocking in change - their backs....

pugs and bulldogs were others i included - very scary changes

shocked about the shar pei as well :s
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks all, great contributions. Sad to see how some dogs have changed for the worse but good to stay educated in these things.
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I didn't realise there was much difference in the original staffs to tadays ones.
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Am I right in saying the main difference's are being shorter & less terrier & more bulldog like?
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
not too much thankfully

gent jim 1937 ?

bruno this year

although there are huge variations in the dogs you see but mostly I believe that to be down to bad and overbreeding.
Sorry tu wake you up but there is a huge difference between the 2 dogs

the old one stands higher on his legs and is less masive than the younger one. Mesure the proportions on the foto's and calculate the difference in % Think you'll be in for a surprice

Greetings

Johan
sbt4eva
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Also agree that SBT have changed so much over the years.
seen a dramatic change is the head and muzzle for starters.
So many have been bred shorter in the muzzle,that can lead to issues on its own,also whats happend to the terrier?So many today are way to bulldoggy looking.
Some look even pug,boston terrier and boxer like with froggy eyes,and huge heads etc.A sbt should be a balanced, fit looking dog with a nice tuck up and not have a chest low to the ground either.they have changed so much now there are so many differnt looking types within the breed,but still love the breed as i always have and alway will.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:09 AM
I have an Estrela book which shows a couple with an Estrela and a St Bernard at the turn of the century. The St Bernard is almost identical to the Estrela. The Estrela is very much like today's dogs but the saint Bernards have obviously been bred for exaggerated size since then. They were agile dogs without droops and dewlaps before they were 'improved'. Will scan it later if I get a chance.
BigV
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I think the most disturbing and upsetting thing is not the fact that the dogs have changed appearance, but the fact that in most instances it has some at a high price in terms of health of the dog & breed in general.

I mean I recently watched the pedigree dogs exposed video online and the thing I found most shocking was that many breeders seemed to feel that breeding for physical features or 'breed standard' was more important than breeding for health and function.

The GSD is a really shocking example of this...... many of the dogs now have such a humpback / sloping back and bad legs that they do not move around properly at all..... what was wrong with the old straight backed style of dog (that they police still use) and who decided that it would be a good idea to push the dog in a different direction?
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »