View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Oooh this is very exciting! You might need to invest in a generator and a couple of freezers!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lagalaza View Post
Hello,
I am the owner of The Inn at Ardgour near Fort William, the one that was on Relocation, Relocation. We welcome dogs, so if any of you fancy a holiday.... .
Relative to your thread, we have been here eight plus years and moved up from London. It's a beautiful place to live and a great place to bring up children. But I would echo some of your earlier replies and say that you should visit in January before you buy anything up here. We lived up here before when I was a child so had a good idea of the lifestyle and the weather. It rains all the time and I mean all the time. You will get maybe thirty or forty sunny days a year, generally in May or June, and there will be 200+ days where it rains for at least a few hours. The winters are wet and windy, not snowy and romantic!! It is also unbelievably isolated. Visit in the winter before you make any commitment!! If you want to know anything else, just ask and I will help all I can.
Hi and welcome So were you the couple shown on the programme who were looking for somewhere to buy in the Highlands? If so, well done on making the move and making a go of the business Great to hear you are dog friendly. I tend to come up and stay around the Strontian area, usually in a self catering cottage, but will definitely have a look at your prices etc for next time I come up with the dog

How have you found living and working there? It is a beautiful spot but, as you say, very wet!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Would that be the Altnacealgach Inn that we've been looking at which is up for sale, next to the Motel opposite the Loch? How spooky is that then The internet sure makes it a small world doesn't it!!

Perhaps you mean the other one that Moobli put up, which is a lot grander and not for sale but well worth a stay methinks!

As much as you're putting me off with all this talk of wet, cold and midges, the seclusion, the scenery, the price of property is still persuading me to wear these rose tinted glasses!

Thanks for the input Lagalaza we might be seeing you soon then
No H, the Ardgour Inn is the one I put up that was for sale obviously much longer ago than I realised. This one is close to Fort William but on the opposite side of Loch Linnhe and you need to take the Corran ferry (which stops right opposite the Inn) over.

I adore the Highlands, but have to say that living on the East is nicer in some ways as it is cold rather than wet and even though we can get some years where the midges are awful, they are never as bad as on the West. Our scenery isn't as dramatic or beautiful (in my opinion) but you can still get the same seclusion ... actually probably more so over here as the Highlands is such a draw for the tourists.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-10-2011, 04:46 PM
the seclusion, the scenery, the price of property is still persuading me to wear these rose tinted glasses!
OK H I've caught up now so you're in Scotland, from hard personal experience even if you do find somewhere with lots of snow it's only pretty and romantic from inside a nice warm house, once you are outside it gets to be a pain walking around in just a foot of it (Never mind the two or three feet we get here in winter). My workshop is only 20 yards from the house but in winter to pop down there (to get a screwdriver or whatever) involves (a) dressing up (b) changing slippers for a pair of snow boots (c) trying to walk in the footsteps of previous trip just an hour before and (d) finding that the dam screwdriver was in the house all the time

But, Scotland does have loads to offer and I have in the last six years considered it too, there are a few laws which are different to England, one is something to do with tenants rights, I expect Mobli can explain but some rural properties can be sold but the descendants of the original owners can claim it back, any half decent Scottish lawyer knows all about this but it's worth bearing in mind.

Someone on the mortorhome forum was telling me about a lovely Park Home site in Scotland with wonderful views and where motorhomes and camper vans are welcome, the problem for me is that we actualy live closer to Kent now than we would if we moved to Northern Scotland

So, which one of the above are you going for and what's the latest on this buyer of your place, did they do the dirty on you and back off
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all the info Kirsty, much appreciated, and also for the link to that scottish agent which we had great fun going through. We still love that school with the 4 letting apartments, it's kind of what we've been searching for, i.e. a home and income (with only a bit of light housework involved just as I have now with the static at the week-ends). So that's still on the cards.

Hi H. Lol at you there with that screwdriver after all that effort!!! Well, we've moved over to Pembrokeshire now Dave was on eBay last night and it's cheap, and I mean reeeeeeally cheap for a secluded cottage, bungalow in the middle of nowhere, some of them like Fort Dodge (Dallas!!!) and all for around £200K Mind you, the one I reeeeeally like is £229 but you can't have it all lol! This would mean that Dave finds his own work, whatever that might be, but he has found a mobile tyre business with a van and all the equipment based in Merseyside (never mind) but I said that doesn't matter, if it's mobile you can relocate with the websites he has up and running, just change the address!!! Have no idea about Pembrokeshire though or heading towards the coast over that way but it sounds glorious and probably not quite as wet and cold as the Highlands! I sometimes wish he would stop searching and leave it to me, coz he's got me hopping all over the country, let alone the time I'm spending on the puter and telephone! I bet we end up in East Sussex or Kent and I buy another van for the empty plot which is now next to mine!

Regarding our sale, according to the agents they still desperately want our house, they love it, it's right up their street, but their sale fell through but maybe that's a good thing with the way it's all going this end! At least it's giving us plenty of time to scour the entire UK!!!! Oh Lordy my poor ie favourites is now bursting at the seams!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-10-2011, 05:03 PM
We only had it for 3 weeks down here last winter and I have to say, I felt very "restricted"!
Try six weeks and having to dig yourself out whenever a trip to the supermarket is needed Actualy I can get the car out even in a foot of snow, but the darn highways snow plough comes around at 5am and leaves a three or four foot 'mountain' outside our gate that's the bit that always needs shoveling out the way.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, we've moved over to Pembrokeshire now
Whew H slow down, I really can't keep up so you're in Wales now, funny lot the Welsh I say that as someone who had a mother and father from Wales (Cardiff) and I tell everyone I'm Welsh (When they are winning at rugby ) however, wasn't born there and never lived there. Some lovely rural areas and have some friends who moved from Kent to Laugharne with their 11 Newfies they love it, not far from the place Dylan Thomas lived when he wrote some of his best work.

I put that McPhee & Co site on my favorites too, you never know
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Whew H slow down, I really can't keep up so you're in Wales now, funny lot the Welsh I say that as someone who had a mother and father from Wales (Cardiff) and I tell everyone I'm Welsh (When they are winning at rugby ) however, wasn't born there and never lived there. Some lovely rural areas and have some friends who moved from Kent to Laugharne with their 11 Newfies they love it, not far from the place Dylan Thomas lived when he wrote some of his best work.

I put that McPhee & Co site on my favorites too, you never know
... and to think, you can start your search at £150K in Wales and see half decent properties, some very nice in fact, whereas down my way you wouldn't even buy a beach hut in Brighton for that!

In case yer fancy going back to your roots then H, take a look on this site for some Welsh properties.
http://www.vebra.com/cgi-win/vebra.c...ERWLA/27943/12

That is one on my "saved" lists, but you can search their site for others.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-10-2011, 08:13 PM
In case yer fancy going back to your roots then H, take a look on this site for some Welsh properties.
Thanks H I have put that on my Favs as well, it will give me something to do during the long winter months when it's minus 20 outside and snow up to the windowsills
stafford
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Ok i have pm'd you Helena, Sorry if this is abit off topic and random.
This is talking from personal experience, I moved from Thorne about 7-8 months ago but still visit my mum there at weekends (unfortunately my mum still lives there).

Originally Posted by tattoogirl73 View Post
i live in doncaster, and got to say thorne has certainly improved since i last visted. plenty of cheap houses to be bought. it's an ideal location for country walks, and if you do want a good night out we've got plenty of pubs to choose from
Sorry tattoo girl... pubs? Most of them have shut down and have metal shutters on to stop them being robbed.

Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I l ive not far from Thorne The reason properties are extra cheap there is because it has a reputation as a Sh*t hole!! lol
Well said, i couldn't of put it better my self.

Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
It's full of gypsy's and druggies!! Ooops I'm generalising

Some houses with land would be ok but I would get a big dog that likes to be outside at night just in case
There are alot of problems relating to both drug users and the traveling community. I have experienced both .

One big dog... i think several would be better.
Page 10 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >