Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:20 AM

Dogs in pet shops

I have just had the worst experience of my life today.

I have just got back from visiting a pet shop in another town to where I live. I was over there christmas shopping, spotted this pet shop, and thought I'd go in for a browse. Oh my god, how I wish I'd never gone in there now.

1 half of the shop was the usual...pet foods etc. The other half of the shop was sectioned off, and had the largest number of small animals cramped into the smallest space I've ever seen in my life. If that wasn't bad enough, I then spotted about 8 dog kennels out the back of the shop too.

I made out I was interested in buying a puppy what I saw will probably haunt me for the rest of my life now. The kennels were about 3ft wide and roughly 5ft long. Each kennel had on average 3-4 dog/pups in it. The smell was absolutly unbelieveable. Newspaper solied so badly that it was just mush on the floor. Dog bowls empty...even the water bowls. All of the dogs looked as rough as anything. There was a kennel of CKCS and one of them looked particulaly large to be a puppy. I asked the man how old she was...he replied " Erm I think shes about 5mths old now, we've had her in here a long time " My first thoughts were that this puppy had spent the first couple of months of her life in a 3ft x 5ft kennel.

After asking many more questions...I later discovered the CKCS had not had any injections or anything. They wanted £565 for her plus vat.

I was by the kennels for approx 15mins and I couldnt stand it anymore. My legs were itching so much I had to get out of there....so yes, it was probably infested with fleas in there.

I felt physically sick when I left the pet shop. I came home, had a strong coffee and a few deep breathes and I did it....YES I foned the RSPCA and reported the shop. I couldnt of slept tonight without doing what I did.

Do you agree with puppys being sold in pet shops?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Sorry you had to go through it Teeny, you really shouldn't have put yourself in that position!!!

I have heard a few storys in here that would put me off going to local pet shops forever! They are sick and break peoples hearts, which in turn lead to people buying them to 'save' them, but in fact all they are really doing is encouraging puppy farming!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post

Do you agree with puppys being sold in pet shops?
No, I don't.

Luckily (with the exception of a visit to the USA for or 5 years ago when I was in tears at seeing it), I haven't seen pups in a pet shop for as far back as I can remember.

PS well done for reporting it...will the RSPA give you any feed back on any actions they take?
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Well done for reporting what you saw. The poor things I foolishly thought it was illegal now to sell pups in pet shops. I hope they remove them.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:37 AM
How awful..........You did the right thing,
I didn't think they were allowed to sell dogs and cats in Pet shops anymore ???
I know how you must've felt though...When i visited my parents in Spain,we went to the Sunday market in Guardamar,i was wondering around and came across a Pet stall,with Puppys in TINY,TINY CAGES and they looked sooo lethagic and poorly,bad eyes etc,I went back to my Mom and asked her what F**** cruel B******'s was in Spanish,her reply 'you've seen the pet stall then,i knew you would' !!
Funny thing was it seemed like a village full of dog lovers,with well cared for dogs being walked wherever you went and little pooches on balconys, sitting on their owners laps........yet no-one batted an eyelid at this stall,i think it must be the norm,so sad,what an awful start in life for them
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:38 AM
I thought it was illegal too.
Well done for reporting them.

Have to say, our local pet shop is totally fantastic and doesn't sell ANY livestock...although he does pet sit for small furries!!!!!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Ooops missed the reporting them bit. Well done teeny!!!
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:54 AM
i cant believe it how horrible i think i would have been sick i havent ever seen a pet shop with pups in it i think its so wrong +WELL DONE you for reporting it fingers crossed they do something about it
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:56 AM
I thought it was illegal now too.

Good for you Teeny for reporting it hope the RSPCA take action and close them down.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Do you know anyone else in that area that has been in and seen this also ? I would encourage them to complain too,The more people that make a fuss the more likely they are to do something .
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >