Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

flyball

Hi there, what is the general thoughts to flyball training. I took Milly for her very first session on Sunday morning and she really embarassed me, she was doing her impession of having never done any trainig of any sort ever. She just thought she was there to play and it almost dissolved into chaos. How easy is it to get dogs trained in this. The group I go to is new, and it is going to be £5 a session.
Sarah
Teal'c
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi Sarah,

I compete in both types of flyball (BFA and KC) :min:

If the training is structured and consistent in its approach and with a who is dog motived, then learning the key skills for flyball should not be over complicated.

almost dissolved into chaos
Was this comment in relation to the whole group? if so training for flyball should never be chaos more highly exciting but still in a controlled environment. Sometimes the highly excited atmosphere can be quite off putting for new dogs and handlers so basic train can slip. But don't worry if they are training you right then Milly should become more focused on what she has to do over time

DC
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I took Max to Flyball training for 2 seasons - we did 1 indoor and 1 outdoor season

He was rubbish! He ran up and down the lanes fine, did the jumps fine, but had no interest in the tennis ball at all...

Other dogs got 'wound up' very easily, and were hyped up ready to go, however Max would lie on the ground and go to sleep waiting for his turn

Some of the dogs who started at the same time made it into the competitive teams in 2 seasons, however, we realised that Max just couldn't be bothered...

I think it depends on your dog. After a few sessions, she might really pick up on it and get super-duper, once she realises it's not a play session.

I'd probably give it a bit longer, as 1 session isn't really long enough to tell!