Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 06:50 AM

Curious

I am just curious really....how many of you with more than one dog, find that they are really attached and dependant on one another.

Pat and I have been asked several times (and again yesterday on our walk) '''How do you get your dogs so attached to one another''''

We don't think we do anything to make them like that, but we have had a increasing number of people approach us with the same question.

Our's are extremely attached to one another yes...and they hate being apart from each other.

When Meg was alive...Reah depended (with her life) on Meg. We only had Skye nearly 5 months before Meg had to be PTS, but Skye like Reah followed Meg everywhere.
When Meg went.....both dogs acted as if they were lost.

Bruce is the same....he will not go anywhere without the girls, and visa versa...........

How many of you have this with your dogs........ Just curious really.
SR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2008, 07:10 AM
My second Border Terrier came from a pack aged 16months so i'd say he is more attached to my Existing Border than the other way about because he was so used to other Dogs,
he follows him everywhere,
they are the best of friends & it's just so lovely to see them bond like this,
there's only 14months between them so are fit for each other.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2008, 07:15 AM
All three of mine get on really well, like three best mates and I dont think I have done anything to promote this, I think dogs often have a bond and no matter how hard we try we can never understand.
bichon1
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I have 3 bichon boys the youngest 2 go everywhere together where u find one u will find the other

Bichonmum
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Two boys here who most of the time are inseperable I do agility seperately though
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 07:54 AM
my 2 are close at home BUT i have taken them out separatly since Bonnie came. I also take them out together but Hector isnt that happy about it as he is more attached to me.

i think with a 2nd/3rd member you need to build their confidence separatly so they dont become reliant on each other.
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2008, 07:57 AM
My 5 all hang around with each other they all curl up on the same sofa even if room is a bit tight and I have more than one sofa!!!! I have 3 large beds in my kitchen but you will often find 2 in one bed, there a family and as much as they love there human owners most prefer the company of there own kind, what you have to remember is most multi family dogs are brought in to the home as 9/10 week old puppys all they have known is there mother and sibblings so they will get attached to the older dogs already living in the house when they arrive expecially if they are of the same breed, I have had imports in on pet passports waiting to travel to England and as most of the puppy's I board are cropped they tend to take a shine to my eldest bitch as she is cropped, and I think they think she look's like there mothers who are usually cropped too.

Mo and the Gang
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 08:28 AM
our guys love each other to bits, they share beds, food bowls, toys etc. however like has been mentioned above I do think its important for them all to get one on one time so they dont get to dependent on each other especially the youngsters. Harry is much more attached to Felix our other merle than Indy (black and white) or Dillan (ESS) x
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Its funny really but the Gordon boys all stick together and when out on a walk follow each other around - usually they follow Max (the boss ), Charlie my English on the other hand just goes and does his own thing. But having said that they are happy with me on their own - i.e. showing, ringcraft, agility - picking kids up from school etc.

At home they all cuddle up together or independantly.

So whilst I would say they are great mates they are happy to do things separately or as a group !
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 09:13 AM
They don't look to be too attached when we are out apart from Maddy and Charlie are always chasing each other but when they aren't they usually all do their own thing, however, if one of them is out on their own they are very different.

Dusty is the same either way, she lags behind and sniffs the sniffs and never gets involved in playing with the others anyway and is exactly the same when on her own.

Charlie on his own won't run about, he just does his own thing sniffing and pottering and is MUCH better with dogs on his own, he can be a bit funny with other boys when he is out with 'his girls', he is just a wee bit weary but is fine when on his own.

Maddy however is very different, when on her own she pretty much stays by my side and doesn't really explore or anything, I have to keep telling her 'go on then' but she soon comes back, which leads me to believe that she is quite insecure. However, she is also much better with other dogs on her own, still a nightmare but a better nightmare! Probably because I remain calmer.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >