Our sister sites
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Collar or Harness or both?

Hello,

Sorry about creating all the new threads

I am wondering what the best for a puppy a collar, harness or both?
What's your personal opinion and what do you use? I've owned dogs before but used either collar or a harness but mostly fabric collars.

Thanks, again.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi

What kind of puppy is it for?

I used a harness only and no collar (including to training classes, etc.) for my toy breed but generally just used the collar for my larger breed dogs. However, I did start using a harness for walking after a while, when the pulling began.

So, I would use whatever you feel is most comfortable for the pup and you.
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm getting a border collie and comfortable with any.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Charlotte - oh lucky you with your BC........wonderful dogs

Personally, I love harnesses especially for puppies who can suddenly veer off in all sorts of directions at short notice and also for any dog that insists on pulling on the lead.

If you are comfortable with using both collar and harness then why not have both? Your pup will presumable have a collar for general wear anyway, and the harness could be used for walking until it is trained well enough to dispense with it. Being a BC, I am sure that that won't be long!
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I think I will use both, thanks everyone!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Hi,

BC's are wonderful!!!

I started Tess on a collar, but it took her all of 2 days(at 8 weeks old) to figure out how to slip it.... so then I went for the harness... and have never looked back!

However... she only ever wears it when out and about... we have a totally enclosed garden with 2m concrete fencing so there is no way she could escape.... if she had to wear something all the time with her tag on just in case she go out I would use a collar for the time she spent at home in the garden.... but for our purposes the harness is great....
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:44 PM
I'll get both and try them around my garden to see which one works best or just use both.

Thanks tho'!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 01:54 PM
It wouldn't harm to get her used to both anyway - now's an ideal time to introduce lots of new things to her whilst she's young. Personally I prefer to walk mine on a harness because I feel it spreads any tension over the dog's body in a much more comfortable way than a collar, even if they're not pullers. I know I'd rather be attached to something via a body harness than a collar around my neck!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 03:30 PM
I have lurchers and a greyhound and I use harnesses on them but they do wear a collar. I've had one of the lurchers collar break whilst he was trying to chase a small dog. I pulled him away and it snapped leaving him free to chase this poor little kid's dog! Luckily he just wanted to play but it scared the kid half to death (and me!!) so I don't trust collars anymore!! I wouldn't mind but it was a proper greyhound collar!!
I know yours is only young now but I do find it so much easier to control them on a harness.
rottiemom85
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I would definetly start on a harness, they won't choke her/him when you walk them and its easier. I have two of my rottweilers on harnesses and they love them my other one is like houdini and slips out of a harness.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >