Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
When I first decided to get a dog, I thought it would be all fun, lovely long walks & curled up on my feet at the end of the day............ I didn't really think about the fact that my show house would be turned into a stinking mud splattered, full of hair pit with dog slobber all over the windows! My lovely garden would have yellow wee patches everywhere & holes dug up all over the place! & lets not even mention the shoes, mobile phones & other items which have been destroyed along the way. I've ditched the heels & am mostly found now wearing a tracksuit & wellies with a stoopid wooley hat, mis matched scarf ,any odd pair of gloves & somebody elses coat because I don't have sensible warm coats! & I'm considering having plastic surgery to have the hoover attachment bonded to my hand permantly! But I love it really
Oh you've not lost your scouse humour have you
You sound like my twin sister

xxx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 08:00 PM
For me, it's all about that happy bum bouncing about in the open world. Nothing makes me happier than seeing that.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Every coat you own has a poo bag in the pocket. Talking of poo, only having a dog makes it acceptable to handle someone elses poo!
Its about someone loving you, regardless of how scruffy you look.
Its the look they give you that says so much without a single word being spoken.
Its the smile they bring to your face when they do something daft
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 08:15 PM
They are always soooooo pleased to see me, even if I've just come out of the bathroom. They are sitting there patiently wagging their tails knowing there is no other way out, so I will reappear soon. Awwwwwww love 'em!!!
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:02 PM
It's the money spent replacing chewed things - sky remotes, mobile phones, a carpet (+underlay!!), kitchen lino, couple of pairs of crocs etc..

The worry when they are not well and they can't tell you what is wrong

No more lying in bed til lunchtime

Being covered in dog hair most of the time and saying "sorry for the smell of dog" every time I take a colleague/client in my car.

Spending months getting a perfect recall for it to disappear when he hits his teenager phase

But then..

Waking up with Hamish cuddled in between me and hubby

Coming in after a really guff day at work to that waggy bum and a present (how did he know I wanted a tugger!?)

Making me go out on days when I feel like I want to hide in my bed

Cuddling me like a people!

The unconditional love and companionship

The understanding between you and other dog owners - that some people just don't get

There's just nothing like it and it certainly isn't easy (or cheap) but I don't know where i'd be without him.

I found this poem a while ago and it sums it up for me..

Just a Dog

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I find it pretty hard at the moment. My OH is away during the week and it often feels like my life revolves around walking and looking after Monty as well as the day to day house stuff and a full time job.

I also find it hard as at the minute I feel like i don't get to have any fun unlike OH and i'm the one stuck with all the responsibilities. I've missed out on several work things and social things with mates because i can't find anyone to have Monty for me.

However my house wouldn't be a home without Monty, my crap days at work wouldn't be brightened by the waggly, happy greeting I get everytime I get home, my boring evenings would be even more boring without having a tennis ball dropped in my lap every 5 minutes and my lonely nights would be worse without Monty asleep next to me so I guess the two things balance themself out.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
It's being embarrassed to let anyone get in my car cos it smells of mud and dog spit and you also get out of it looking like a furry rug
It's witnessing Skye eating dog poo yesterday, then throwing it up when we got home.....oh the smell
The amount of money Willow has cost in vet bills

But it's also the snuggling up in bed with you, the sheer joy on their furry faces when they are going for a walk.
The running up to you with toys or your slippers in their mouths making woo woo noises when you come back from shopping or just nipping out to the car
And the trust i can see in my new boys eyes when he looks at me and knows he is home and never going to be beaten ever again.
Yes it's worth everything yucky that goes with loving dogs to have that unconditional love they give in bucketloads

Jann
xxx
OMG the car.....yes lovely, stinks of DOG.......great when you pull up and open the door only to be greeted by the relatives with no dogs, who step back with a sharp intake of breath

Keep telling Pat, I must clean out the car
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
For me, it's all about that happy bum bouncing about in the open world. Nothing makes me happier than seeing that.
this made me laugh, but I think Elaineb was talking about the ''othe side of owning a dog'' you know the mucky bits......like eating poo, dog hairs etc.,
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
this made me laugh, but I think Elaineb was talking about the ''othe side of owning a dog'' you know the mucky bits......like eating poo, dog hairs etc.,
Reckon mine was probably way off the mark as well then!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 10:24 PM
i havnt read the whole thread ... yet

whats it really like,for me.... HAIRY!!!
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >