Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:22 PM

What's it REALLY like ?

owning dogs I've been thinking about this for a while now, and having read loads of stuff on here and other places I thought it would be a good idea for us all to come clean and tell warts and all what it's really like having dogs.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Some times a right pain like today when it pours with rain and you have to get up at 6am to walk them then hose them down dry them off put towles down on their bed for them the lay on and them have your kitchen smell of hot wet dog when you are trying to eat breakfast.

I love getting out with them and going for long walks but sometimes wish I have a day off.
My car is like a hair snow globe when you put the heaters on their is hair flying everywhere even though I hover it out all the time.

I love coming home to dog woo woos as I open the front door and having one sleep outside the bedroom door protecting the family as they sleep.
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
It is a lot of vacuuming. And cleaning muddy paw prints. It is staying at home because you have puppies. It is dog bowls and more dog bowls. Filling, cleaning, picking up. It is poop and vomit and big paw prints on your clothes. It is up at 5am to let the pup out, or assist an old dog who needs help up and down the steps.

It is also love, endless unconditional love, and joy. Those paws that make the messes also make big prints on your heart.

I would not trade them, or my restricted life, for anything!
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
owning dogs I've been thinking about this for a while now, and having read loads of stuff on here and other places I thought it would be a good idea for us all to come clean and tell warts and all what it's really like having dogs.

lots of fun. a bit of stink, poo pickin, cold wet walk. beggin your dog to stop lickin his bits in front of company (or at least keep the noise down).
Thinking oow i think i should buy him a friend.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I don't know what I did with myself before I had dogs! I don't get a lie in any more. The girls would snuggle in with me but Dandy demands Mummy's presence downstairs so he can have breakfast, so I'm up by seven each morning. It will be difficult to go abroad because I have no one to have the dogs nearby. The only person who could have them is their breeder and she is 5 hours away! They take up most of my time and I'm out three to four nights a week to training classes which are a forty mile round trip. I'm constantly looking for new places to walk them which are safe as Estrelas have awful recall, but I like them to have a run. I've lost touch with friends who think I'm a bore coz my life revolves around dogs. On the other hand I've made some wonderful friends too. I've ditched old hobbies to concentrate on the dogs, and I rarely go out without them. There is talk of us moving somewhere more rural or even building our own house to accommodate more dogs. They have totally taken over my life!!!!

And I wouldn't change a thing!!!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
Some times a right pain like today when it pours with rain and you have to get up at 6am to walk them then hose them down dry them off put towles down on their bed for them the lay on and them have your kitchen smell of hot wet dog when you are trying to eat breakfast.

I love getting out with them and going for long walks but sometimes wish I have a day off.
My car is like a hair snow globe when you put the heaters on their is hair flying everywhere even though I hover it out all the time.

I love coming home to dog woo woos as I open the front door and having one sleep outside the bedroom door protecting the family as they sleep.
That's great Kathryn and thanks for being honest I know how you feel about walking though, sometimes it's just....well can't be bothered, but then you get your coat on and once your out it's ok. I know about the doggy smell and the hair!!!

xxx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by RedyreRotties View Post
It is a lot of vacuuming. And cleaning muddy paw prints. It is staying at home because you have puppies. It is dog bowls and more dog bowls. Filling, cleaning, picking up. It is poop and vomit and big paw prints on your clothes. It is up at 5am to let the pup out, or assist an old dog who needs help up and down the steps.

It is also love, endless unconditional love, and joy. Those paws that make the messes also make big prints on your heart.

I would not trade them, or my restricted life, for anything!

yea that's the sort of thing. It's bloody hard work.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
lots of fun. a bit of stink, poo pickin, cold wet walk. beggin your dog to stop lickin his bits in front of company (or at least keep the noise down).
Thinking oow i think i should buy him a friend.
why do they insist on doing that
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I don't know what I did with myself before I had dogs! I don't get a lie in any more. The girls would snuggle in with me but Dandy demands Mummy's presence downstairs so he can have breakfast, so I'm up by seven each morning. It will be difficult to go abroad because I have no one to have the dogs nearby. The only person who could have them is their breeder and she is 5 hours away! They take up most of my time and I'm out three to four nights a week to training classes which are a forty mile round trip. I'm constantly looking for new places to walk them which are safe as Estrelas have awful recall, but I like them to have a run. I've lost touch with friends who think I'm a bore coz my life revolves around dogs. On the other hand I've made some wonderful friends too. I've ditched old hobbies to concentrate on the dogs, and I rarely go out without them. There is talk of us moving somewhere more rural or even building our own house to accommodate more dogs. They have totally taken over my life!!!!

And I wouldn't change a thing!!!
See...this is it isn't it, we all work damn hard looking after our dogs. We worry about them and go out of our way to make sure that they have happy fulfilled lives.

What am getting at is this...does it ever get you to the point where you think to yourself, and am not thinking this guys so don't worry is this all worth it??
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:43 PM
As a rottie person, I have to say its all great, I cant think of anything that upsets me, even when they are making the place manky, or being silly, rotties do it in such a clown like way that you gota love them,

now dougie making the place manky.......that upsets me..big time
but never the dogs,
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »