Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-08-2009, 12:29 AM

Do you treat your dogs differently ?

Simple question really - Do you treat your dogs differently and if so why ?

Karen and I were talking about this tonight and whilst I'd like to think I treat them all the same - I don't.

It's not a case of favouritism - it's more a result of their individual personalities and differing bahaviours.

I've trained them all the same, treated them all the same, love them all the same and consider them equall but regardless of my input I can't really treat them all the same.

I was going to give a load of examples as to why I don't treat them the same or why I do certain things with one that I don't do with another but decided to hold back and see what other folk thought ??????
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Gypsy
My superfast lean little Girlie BC ... she just wants to please , so I dont have to be firm at all with her , plus, she's a delicate little sweetheart so im physically gentler with her , even down to the way I stroke her , she does like a love but on her terms , she isnt keen on being held , but will sit next to you and lick you to death
She is most def my dog

Toffee
My stubborn , big cuddlemonster BC ... He needs a firmer tone of voice or he just ignores me , he is solidly built (not fat) and so Im less worried about hurting him when we play. He is lazy , prefers crashing on the sofa to anything , so is great to cuddle up to . Drives me nuts with his selctive hearing , lol
Daddies boy
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
Gypsy
My superfast lean little Girlie BC ... she just wants to please , so I dont have to be firm at all with her , plus, she's a delicate little sweetheart so im physically gentler with her , even down to the way I stroke her , she does like a love but on her terms , she isnt keen on being held , but will sit next to you and lick you to death
She is most def my dog

Toffee
My stubborn , big cuddlemonster BC ... He needs a firmer tone of voice or he just ignores me , he is solidly built (not fat) and so Im less worried about hurting him when we play. He is lazy , prefers crashing on the sofa to anything , so is great to cuddle up to . Drives me nuts with his selctive hearing , lol
Daddies boy
That's the kind of thing I mean.......
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Definitely.

Lennon is pretty "normal" - whatever that is but Mya is very nervous and terrified of people, although after 3.1/2 years with us there has been enormous improvement.

That being the case, Mya is treated more "gently" than Len, who is still my OIKY boy and up for most things
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Yes my old dogs stay in the kitchen I sometimes let them in the lounge in the evening but they spend all there time at home asleep. The reason for this is I have four children the youngest is three and has been snarled at before by the older dog when she has fallen on them or dropped someting on them. So for everyones ones wellbeing they are in the kitchen.
They only go out twice a day my other dog comes with us out for the day when the oldies stay at home.
They are not loved any less just treated diffrently according to their needs.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:23 AM
As all my dogs are individuals they need to be treated as such so yes I don't treat them all the same.
Becky
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Scratch, my old man, he is happy doing his own thing and Louis loves playing with other dogs and balls, if I threw a ball for Scratch he would look at it and walk away. They all have their own personalities if you tried to treat them all the same there would be some disgruntled dogs.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 08:15 AM
When I had all mine they were all treated the same with regards treats etc., but some of them, Leon for example, had to be fed seperately and would become anxious if he felt threatened so I would spend some time with him on our own to make him feel calm.

The oldies would get special privilages such as being allowed to have the run of the house when I wasn't there, not because I loved them more but because I knew, (or hoped) they wouldn't trash the place whilst I was out.

Those I was showing had more baths and grooming time than the others and probably had more "mummy" time than the others because we would spend time together at shows.

That said, I loved them all equally but in different ways because of their individual characters
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Ben
is offlead more than onlead, has the free run of the house

Mia
Still working on recal and is reactive around strange dogs so offlead times are structured. Is in a huge crate during the day as still chews occasionaly and would bug Ben to play all day when I am out

I train positivly so they dont really get told off, Ben is a soft wee soul and if he thinks he is getting things wrong he shuts down and sniffs about

Mia looooves being told off and jumps all over you giving you big kisses, but she is far more independant and although she wants to please if it isnt reawarding enough for her then she can amuse herself
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
It's not a case of favouritism - it's more a result of their individual personalities and differing bahaviours.
I totally agree with this - e.g. I can trust Bryan with any dog, but with Tilly I have to be very careful because of her past.

With Bryan, I can take a ball out of his mouth (it's part of a game), but with Tilly we always make her drop it and then say 'back' (because she's not bothered if she catches your fingers!).

Bryan is pretty independant - in the house he likes to go upstairs to his bed and have some alone time. Although sometimes he like to come and have a cuddle on the settee. Tilly likes to be at least in the same room as the humans, if not sitting on your lap (we told her she's too big to be a lap dog, but she says she isn't).

Apart from that I think I treat them the same, but I don't think you can treat every dog 100% the same because they are all different
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >