Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 09:20 AM

When Do You Stop Feeling

Hi I dont know if its me or Animal programs that have changed,yesterday I was in floods of tears because of all things a Lobster,it was caught and none to pleased about it,the fisherman then showed by rubbing its head it would quiten down,the claws relaxed,he then put it ready for the pot,surely if you know an Animal has feelings,how can you eat it or kill it.
It seems now every animal programme,you have to witness an animal being put to sleep or being killed.I vowed to stop watching wild life programmes,because if the camera man could see surely he could help that animal by getting it help,not just filming,I remember the Flamingo yes they are stupid birds,but everyone has a right to life,they go to this lake in Africa and it is very high in salt,they have there young,
but unfortunately the lake begins to solidify and the birds end up with great chunks of salt on there feet,they can't fly and then you see the small babies trying hard to move,why couldnt the camera man at least try to help,by chipping off the salt no he kept on filming.Are we becoming so de-sensitised, that we now look forward to the outcome,knowing its going to end badly.I remember not that long ago if an animal was going to be put to sleep,you never saw it actually,they played music and went on to the next story.
Its if we are going backwards not forward,and baying for blood like the Romans,the more blood the happier the audience,the way its going, I just wont be able to watch these programmes,yes I did enjoy those programmes when you got a snapshot of animal lives in the wild as it always upset me the way Zoos kept there animals,but the Zoos seemed to have cleaned up there act.
Circus are now non-animal,and I know from first hand that this is right,the stick they used to move an animal foward,up or down has a small shock,enough to make you withdraw your hand if it touched you.
So why has television gone the other way and seem to celebrate,they do warn you that this programme will have scenes that may upset SOME people surely all of us should be upset by the death and suffering of any living thing.
It reminds me,of when I was waiting for a tube,and this lady was behaving weird,she folded up her coat placed it on the floor and started pacing up and down,I had this feeling that something bad was going to happen,and as I couldnt leave,too many people I turned my back and pressed myself against the wall,but when it happened,everyone surged forward,it really shook me up,and one of the staff saw me pressed up against the wall,and took me out and away from the incident..
Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Circus are now non-animal,and I know from first hand that this is right,the stick they used to move an animal foward,up or down has a small shock,enough to make you withdraw your hand if it touched you.
This is not correct.

It is only the use of 'wild' animals that is going to be banned in circuses. But it has not yet been banned.The argument has been raging for years (with much opposition to it) and it is starting to look as if it will become law. It will be another two years at least before it is.

The government has set out a draft law, banning the use of wild animals in circuses in England from December 2015.

Animal welfare groups have been calling for the law for years and in 2011, MPs voted overwhelmingly in support of a ban, supported by 95% of the public.

It's after a number of reports of animals being mistreated by some circuses.

A draft law means it hasn't yet been officially approved but it's being proposed by Defra, the government department that deals with animal welfare.

Ministers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are being invited to sign up to the law change for those countries too.
And only applies to wild animals (animals not normally domesticated in Britain)

Circuses in England will be prohibited from using wild animals in their shows from the beginning of December 2015, the government has announced.

Ministers were initially reluctant to bring in a blanket ban - demanded by many MPs and campaigners - in case of legal action by operators.

Agriculture minister David Heath said the two-year "grace period" would allow circus owners to arrange suitable care.

There are currently 20 licensed wild animals working in circuses.

These include camels, zebras and snakes, but not elephants, monkeys, gorillas, chimpanzees or big cats.
If you are signed up to any of the animal welfare action groups you will be kept informed about this matter.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2013, 09:41 AM
This is why I rarely watch tv.
Nothing is safe, one Christmas when I was with my parents we were watching Catherine Tate a Christmas carol, I think that was what it was called.
She killed a dog in it, it really put a downer on our evening given Christmas is supposed to be a time of happiness, love, giving etc. dad looked like he was going to cry lol.
The fish incident on the inbetweeners.
Mrs browns dog got put down in yesterday's episode, that was pretty bad timing as I'd had an awful day with the death of two fish earlier.
The giraffe got beheaded in the hangover 3.
I don't feel safe watching hardly anything anymore!

The worst was when I had a children's channel on for Aiden, I can't remember the station, I think it was a bbc one.
I have never been do disgusted in my life, it showed a group of children, 8 or so year old catching lobsters to eat.
I turned that off pretty quick.
The slaughter of goats, sheep etc in poor countries, The killing of a pig on some farming documentary on in laws house, i could go on.

I hate absolutely anything showing suffering and think its constant depiction in comedies especially is unnerving.
The number of people laughing when the giraffe died in the hangover at the cinema was pretty scary.
And I know it's not real, but is it really something people actually enjoy..?
Watching what seems like but obviously isn't very real suffering of someone or something.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Morning Laurabehjet. It is not just in 'poor countries' that goats, sheep and other animals are slaughtered. And not just in poor countries that they are kept in what is often inhumane and disgracefully cruel conditions.

In lots of 'wealthy' countries animals are born, raised (if you can call it that), transported and killed in far less than ideal conditions.

The life of the average battery hen is hardly a natural or happy one.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Morning Laurabehjet. It is not just in 'poor countries' that goats, sheep and other animals are slaughtered. And not just in poor countries that they are kept in what is often inhumane and disgracefully cruel conditions.

In lots of 'wealthy' countries animals are born, raised (if you can call it that), transported and killed in far less than ideal conditions.

The life of the average battery hen is hardly a natural or happy one.
I know, it was just the method that seemed so brutal and the screams, oh my god, I couldn't turn programmes like that off quick enough.
But your right, it's no better here really.
I used be quite militant regarding animal rights some years ago, my vegan brother still is.

Never in a million years would I buy battery eggs.
If we had more space I'd take on some rescued battery hens but we don't have enough.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 10:08 AM
I buy only free range too but am lucky I can afford to. At around €4 for 6 eggs I can understand why hard up families buy the cheaper ones.

If animal cruelty related to feeding us is to stop people would have to stump up more money for their food. I believe lots of people are prepared to do this but far more just cannot afford to.

If you look into ALL the stuff about how animals used for food are treated you would become a vegan - I only needed to see one vid relating to KFC to stop me ever eating their chicken again!

I'm not sure (where animals relating to food is concerned) that people should only be shown 'sanitised' stuff about them.

More people should realise WHERE the food on their plate comes from and what happens to it along the way. Whole generations of kids who only ever see chicken as breadcrumb coated 'nuggets' or fish as golden 'fingers' and even non meat products produced in novelty or cartoon 'shapes' - show them a spud caked in mud and they are all 'eeeyuk'.

Here in the Mid East even in huge supermarkets you see the dead heads, skulls, lights etc. of the animals you are buying the meat of on the counter with the meat - in the UK (apart from foreign markets) I don't see that. Behind the butcher counter in a supermarket here you will see a row of dead animals hanging on hooks.

Might offend some people's sensibilities but - face it - it's where the nicely shaped 'chop' or nice pink minced meat comes from!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2013, 10:16 AM
I had this feeling that something bad was going to happen,and as I couldnt leave,too many people I turned my back and pressed myself against the wall,but when it happened,everyone surged forward,it really shook me up,and one of the staff saw me pressed up against the wall,and took me out and away from the incident..
I`m not sure what the incident was you speak of, but turning your back and pretending its not happening is not going to stop horrible things happening in the world,

I am not really sure what you are suggesting regards the animal situation, are you saying we should not show "real life" and pretend that all animals live out a utopia life

Life is hard for most wild animals, they are all somewhere on the food chain, ether for other animals or us, given I eat meat and fish I would rather know how they die so I can make an informed decision on where I buy from.

Wild life documentories have come a long was over the years, they show the good bad and ugly side to life in the wild, would you rather we never allowed our children to learn the cycle of life , because it offends some folks sensibilities, and they would rather keep hidden under a bush.

Its if we are going backwards not forward,and baying for blood like the Romans,the more blood the happier the audience,t
I think the above is a total exaggeration to be honest, suggesting we are baying for blood because we are interested in life's cycle, is a bit extreme

I think you do a far greater injustice, to pretend it does not happen, and all fury creatures live a nice happy life..........

Lets face it, without these programmes we would still be unaware of battery hens, Elephants being slaughtered for their ivory, rare animals being on the brink of extinction, and so on and so on.... making the world aware no matter how upsetting can only be a good thing, hiding it away will not help any animals plight for a future existence.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I buy only free range too but am lucky I can afford to. At around €4 for 6 eggs I can understand why hard up families buy the cheaper ones.

If animal cruelty related to feeding us is to stop people would have to stump up more money for their food. I believe lots of people are prepared to do this but far more just cannot afford to.

If you look into ALL the stuff about how animals used for food are treated you would become a vegan - I only needed to see one vid relating to KFC to stop me ever eating their chicken again!

I'm not sure (where animals relating to food is concerned) that people should only be shown 'sanitised' stuff about them.

More people should realise WHERE the food on their plate comes from and what happens to it along the way. Whole generations of kids who only ever see chicken as breadcrumb coated 'nuggets' or fish as golden 'fingers' and even non meat products produced in novelty or cartoon 'shapes' - show them a spud caked in mud and they are all 'eeeyuk'.

Here in the Mid East even in huge supermarkets you see the dead heads, skulls, lights etc. of the animals you are buying the meat of on the counter with the meat - in the UK (apart from foreign markets) I don't see that. Behind the butcher counter in a supermarket here you will see a row of dead animals hanging on hooks.

Might offend some people's sensibilities but - face it - it's where the nicely shaped 'chop' or nice pink minced meat comes from!
I think most people know that chicken comes from a small bird, turkey a big bird, pork from pigs etc.
i think thats enough, i really dont think its fair to keep showing people brutal scenes of them being despatched, if anything, i think it desensitises people to suffering and encourages a flippant attitude to other creatures where people think they have some right to hurt or kill another because its 'just' a rabbit, 'just a fox' etc.

I think, it's safe to say, I could not live in the Middle East. Yuck!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 10:23 AM
So you think people should not know what happens to the food they eat before they buy it? I think people should know where their food comes from and how it gets to their plate. Many people would not be prepared to kill animals to eat them and would go without meat if they had to do so, but are happy to let others do it for them as long as they don't have to know 'the details'.

Of course anyone who felt strongly enough about it would just not eat any animal products. I have a son who won't and know many others like him.

The display on the butcher counter in countries like this one might offend the senses of people who don't like to be reminded what their dinner looked like when it was still running around. Don't want to be reminded that their chicken once was covered in feathers!

We still have lots of shepherds here who work as they did for centuries past, just tending their flocks and walking around with them all day to graze them. They get most of their complaints from ex pat Brits who complain about goats being walked through their little englander outposts and eating stuff from their gardens! Although quite like tucking into their goat milk produced Halloumi. And the goats were here for a very long time before they were.

Making consumers more aware of what does happen to the animals who provide the food on their plate is the way forward for more humane treatment of those animals. Sweeping it under the carpet or just 'not thinking' about it allows unspeakable practices to continue. Public outrage is a powerful weapon. Alas concern for the money in the public's purse usually wins out.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
I think most people know that chicken comes from a small bird, turkey a big bird, pork from pigs etc.
i think thats enough, i really dont think its fair to keep showing people brutal scenes of them being despatched, if anything, i think it desensitises people to suffering and encourages a flippant attitude to other creatures where people think they have some right to hurt or kill another because its 'just' a rabbit, 'just a fox' etc.

I think, it's safe to say, I could not live in the Middle East. Yuck!
I think those people who hunt and kill a rabbit or fox control are far more aware of the cycle of life , than anyone who buys their meat from the supermarket and gets upset when they happen to see how their food is dispatched on the TV.

I don't think seeing these programmes desensitises folk or encourages then to then go out and kill a rabbit for the fun of it

So as long as you don`t show the brutality of life and it does not offend you , its all OK, because you can pretend your nice juicy steak got on the supermarket shelf by magic
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »