Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 08:21 PM

Top tips for deodorising

your house from doggy smells - which aren't those aerosol or perfume maskers that you get for rooms...heard they might be slightly carcinogenic..

Any good natural solutions?

Would love to know your tips.

Thanks
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2005, 08:24 PM
plenty of fresh air, keep windows and doors open and wash dog bedding regularly thats what I do.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi there MC, I have a Goodsphere air purifier and not only does it make the place smell nice, one of Charlottes friends who coughs and sneezes around the dogs, can stay for a lot longer now without the side effects
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Half an onion, sitting cut side up on a saucer will absorb smells - you'll get an onion smell instead but that soon goes with an open window or pot pourri or similar. Totally natural - just an alternative!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Good information everyone, thank you!!!

Ash will be looking that air purifier up - OH suffers from hayfever so could help double.

Pot pourri - great idea DM.

Carole, it doesn't surprise me that your house smells lovely - washing floors daily still gets me everytime
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 08:51 PM
where to begin .. i have a fear of my home smelling horrid .. i use anit bacterial fabreeze , every day i do the kitchen and all the laminate in neart zoflora concentrate . i use oust half a doz times a day . wash the carpets twice a week have numerous anit smell devices all over the place , detol odour neutralizer . bouchard pet deodorizer . have push things in every room . thoses puff things . an oust fan . a few ones that squirt when doors are opened . and the airwick puff one i slo have my windows open and the back door . front door open with a chain on . weather permitting . plug ins , gels. neutradol gell and spray and push spray . actually i buty all the dif smelly things i van find oh says i spend more ojn smellies than food

and i can still smell the dogs everywhere i go my house stinks !
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

Originally Posted by Carole
plenty of fresh air, keep windows and doors open and wash dog bedding regularly thats what I do.
Snap!

Soon as i get up-i fling the windows open and i cant detect any doggie smells.The only time i smell Vegas is first thing in the morning when i go into kitchen/diner-it stinks of his farts,but clears after a few minutes-thank god...
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

My house probably smells of dog, but I don't notice it!
Probably cos I smell of dog, and so do my clothes!
I know my car stinks of dog!! lol
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

09-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
Half an onion, sitting cut side up on a saucer will absorb smells - you'll get an onion smell instead but that soon goes with an open window or pot pourri or similar. Totally natural - just an alternative!
My mum does this when they are decorating

Agree with Carole re doors open too, fresh air. I think carpets are not really ideal with dogs either...
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Steve
only time i smell Vegas is first thing in the morning when i go into kitchen/diner-it stinks of his farts,but clears after a few minutes-thank god...
LMAO I thought it was just my dogs ! haha

I think where are any dog lives inside it'll have a slight doggy odour, my house smells of dog as well, but I think you just get used to it maybe ? We have carpets throughout (except obviously the kitchen and bathroom) and carpets will hold the doggy odour. I used to live in a house that was tiled throughout back in Australia and we had no doggy smell. The dogs didnt come in that often though.

I just have a Dettol Plug In (I think it's called Neurta Air) in the hall as that's where the dogs sleep the most, they arent allowed in the Lounge unless we are home as the flatcoat likes to sneak on the couch when we arent in and also at night Norti Boy.

I'm starting to wonder if I clean my house enough now seeing that Deefin does her floors everyday ! Mine get washed with just some all purpose cleaner diluted with hot water and mopped. Floors are vacuumed every 3 days though .... Now comes the next 'dangerous' question ? How often do ppl clean their houses then to get rid of the doggie smells ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >