Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:25 AM

Fear/phobias

Does anyone have a fear or phobia of anything?

I am just back from the doctors, where I was getting my blood taken. Now I have a competely irrational fear of getting blood taken - possibly verging on phobia. I was meant to make this appointment in December, and everytime I make it I cancel it, it is now June. I haven't slept well for nights thinking about the appointment. When I went into the surgery my legs were like jelly, by the time I was called I was in such a state. The nurse took my blood pressure first and said it was incredibly high and would I not rather come back another day to get my blood taken. Anyways, I said no I wanted it over with, so she put me on the table and made me lie down and breath in and out slowly. By this time I was crying and shaking like crazy, the poor nurse felt terrible, she was so lovely about it and kept asking if it was necessary for me to get it taken. I was getting the blood taken to check if I still have rebella in my body before I get pregnant, so it was necessary. Anyways, I made it out conscious this time, every other time I have had blood take I have passed out , but I am still shaking and feeling very faint. The thing is I don't know what I am frightened of. I know it doesn't hurt, I'm a little scared of needles but not to the extent to cause this reaction. I think it has something to do with veins (not blood, just veins). Whatever it is I have absolutely no control over it. Going out the door, the nurse said that if I get preggers I wil have to get used to getting blood taken - I'm not letting Kevin near me now!
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2005, 10:28 AM
I quite like getting my blood taken I think it's cool seeing the blood filling the tube.

I have a phobia of rodents tails... can't even look at a rat or mouse but will happily handle hamsters.

Graeme
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Awww Joanne, poor you
I dont like needles but i can just about deal with it.

My biggest fear is sharks Terrified of them, i wont go out in the sea further than my waist.
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Aww Olive I totally understand about the needles phobia. I absoutely hate it

I do exactly the same, spend days worrying about it and I'm in a right state by the time I get to the doctors
BTW..you only have to have blood taken once when you are pregnant as far as I remember Obviously someone correct me if I'm wrong
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm not frightened of needles, it's just I don't like them being stuck in me or any one else, i have to inject myself with insulin twice daily and even though it is only a very fine needle, I sometimes have to take a deep breath and just do it. I think one of my rears is that the needle breaks off inside of me. (my feet are curling up just thinking about it.

I can't watch anyone else getting injections etc done either.

But the worst place is the dentist, i can't have anything in my throat, it makes me wretch so he has to work dry and with suction on all the time. I usually am shaking by the time he is done. I would have my operation done again rather than have to face the dentist.

Ian
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Yuk, dentists
I hate the idea of getting a needle in my mouth, NO WAY! I have had drilling done with no anaesthetic, far preferable to a needle.
Now, generally, needles don't bother me at all, I've had 3 C-Sections so I've had tons of needles, all over the place,but, in my mouth, NEVER!!!!
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2005, 10:37 AM
I've had a couple of bad dentist experiences but i'm not too bad about going.

Worst was getting root canal work done without anaesthetic.

Graeme
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

01-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Joanne I know exactly how you feel - just reading about it is making me feel really ill - I have two phobias - anything to do with the body like getting blood taken or even the thought of getting pregnant for me makes me really faint I can't handle it or when people tell me about their operations I get really sick - most people find this funny though -I guess it must sound really daft for some folk ( I can't even look at the veins on my arms thats how bad I am )

my other phobia is thunder and lightening - I become a complete wreck whenever there is thunder and lightening and if I get caught outside in it - the fear at that is horrible
doglover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I haven't hjad many needles (only jabs and stuff) but still hate them.

My biggest fear is SPIDERS! Even little moneyspiders absolutely terrified of them. but i hate insects in general i hate all of them but don't mind butterflies.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:50 AM
I hate needles, and worry about having jabs etc well before i have to have it done there horrible.but my worst fear is heights, im terrified, they make me feel really sick and light headed, so theme parks are a no no.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »