Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2009, 06:18 PM

How long can a dog hold it!!!???

Werm hates the rain!
She loves her walks but if its raining I literally have to drag her out with nail marks following us down the pavement!!
She utterly refuses to go out to 'go toilet' if raining and if i pick her up and put her out she just stands there looking at me as if I am totally out of my mind!!
I am just worried as if it rains for days...... how long can a little pup hold it!?
Whats your record!!??
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-10-2009, 06:48 PM
In a crate, even 7 week old can go 4-5 hours. I have heard stories of dogs going days when away from home and not having the ''right spot'' to use.

Take her out on leash. Walk around. They can only walk and hold it so long. When it finally has to go, lavish praise on it. Take an umbrella.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Even in the rain I would go out with mine as pups and wander round the garden with them even if I had to stay out 20mins or so
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 07:26 PM
my lot hate the rain,

vinnie has tried to perfect the art of standing just inside the back door and peeing out when its raining

he thinks hes got it down to a fine art,,.,,,,he aint it goes everywhere..

I do leave the back door open most of the day for them, so when the others get to the point where they gota go, they shoot under the table in the back garden and go....
I just wish vinnie would do the same
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Fortunately, mine don't care about the weather, but do insist on the "right spot" - this means we could be out for some time.

I need waterproofs!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 08:40 PM
If its only a pee., then I have known Bruno to hold it for 12 HOURS !!!! as he absolutely will not cross the threshold when its raining - he literally went all day and then I had to drag him out, hold a brolly over his head and force him to do it !!
he aint a pup right enough though he is 8 1/2 !!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 08:51 PM
jake doesnt mind the weather lol, but he has held it for 12 hours before, and he is 7 months.

Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Take her out on leash. Walk around. They can only walk and hold it so long. When it finally has to go, lavish praise on it. Take an umbrella.
OT and sorry to be picky here, but you have done something i hate. why refer to her as 'it'? you even said 'take her out on a leash' and then follow it with 'when it finally has to go, lavish praise on it'... why not 'when she finally has to go, lavish praise on her' you know you are talking about a girl...

sorry but it is a pet hate of mine.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
my lot hate the rain,

vinnie has tried to perfect the art of standing just inside the back door and peeing out when its raining

I do leave the back door open most of the day for them, so when the others get to the point where they gota go, they shoot under the table in the back garden and go....
I can so picture that

When Ben was tiny he went 4 hours walking round Glasgow when I knew he needed to go
Then I realised - he was waiting till we got a patch of grass, I put him over a fence and, with a long suffering look, the floodgates opened

Mia is curently refusing to pee in the dark while the sky is banging - dunno how long she can hold it but I cant make her pee
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
In a crate, even 7 week old can go 4-5 hours. I have heard stories of dogs going days when away from home and not having the ''right spot'' to use.

Oh we tried that!! not happening!!
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
my lot hate the rain,

That is so funny!! I am sure if Werm were a little boy she would be trying the same!! He sounds like a character!!

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
If its only a pee., then I have known Bruno to hold it for 12 HOURS !!!! as he absolutely will not cross the threshold when its raining - he literally went all day and then I had to drag him out, hold a brolly over his head and force him to do it !!
he aint a pup right enough though he is 8 1/2 !!!
This is more like Werm, its nothing to do with waiting for her, or taking her out on the leash, she just refuses to go in the rain!! I dragged her out for 45 mins yesterday in the drizzle and she didn't go even then, and them she was so cross with me
The only tactic seems to be to wait until there is a break in the weather and then leg it outside before it starts again!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >