Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Even an animal that has been stunned will move/spasm after death...

When we have slaughtered the turkeys for Christmas, even after there is no heartbeat and the head has been severed, the body continues to move, as the electrical nerve impulses are still active....

This happens when euthanising dogs or when people expire too.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 09:25 AM
My goat kicked for ages, very disconcerting.

She was shot.

rune
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Ref - horses from markets. doesnt halal have rules on how the animal was raised? (asking dont know anything about it bar how they are killed) we have Halal egg sandwiches in our canteen (5p more than the non halal egg sandwich?) what makes an egg halal?

With non halal meat for human consumption dont they have rules on medicines (worming antibiotics steriods etc im pretty sure on 'bute' packets it actually states not to be used if intended for human consumption?) that an animal has to be clear a length of time before it enters the food chain? therefore how many joe public would actually go to market and buy a horse for meat take it home and kill it? more so muslim as i believe the faith is stricter on meat in general?

I would assume an animal has to be specifically raised by Halal standards to be acceptable? therefore it would require someone to be producing horses for this market.

just my ssumption though
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I never knew this.

Considering half of one side of my family are Muslim (except my dad considers himself Atheist), I have never realised horses could be slaughtered for halal meat. I have never known my family, or my friends who are Muslim/Islamic to eat horse meat.

If people are so worried about eating Halal meat then it is up to them to do their research and shop wisely IMO. Having said that food labelling should offer infomation with regards to it being Halal/Kosher/Free range etc.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This happens when euthanising dogs or when people expire too.
Yup, I can confirm that also. When Hal was put down at the vet's as the anaesthetic went in he momentarily leaped to his paws with a primieval sort of cross between an howl and a yelp before collapsing - it was extremely disconcerting and most upsetting.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
My goat kicked for ages, very disconcerting.

She was shot.

rune
As did my horse, but the consolation for me, was knowing he was dead , before he hit the ground.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2011, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=Dobermann;2253246]I do think that people should be allowed to express their views and that disagreeing with something is not necessarily meaning they are racists etc

I also think people should be far better informed of what they are eating etc...

Someone told me that there is something that makes beef bad for us (or at least not as good for us) due to the way we slaughter here - its to do with the stress hormones released into the cows body just before death.....I may be getting this confused/wrong way round.

As no one has offered a comment on your query I'll make an attempt.
I'm not aware that stress hormones will cause any harm to you through the beef. What the stress hormones do is toughen the beef. When cattle are brought in for slaughter they should be rested first before slaughter to reduce levels of stress.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Glad this thread has opened such an interesting discussion.

I do find the "racist" comments way off mark, but then this country has gone PC mad

I am totally against the slaughter of animals in ANY inhumane form, all I can try to do is go by the knowledge and expertise of vets and others (such as the Farm Animal Welfare Council) and trust that their judgement (that halal slaughter is cruel) is correct.

Of course not all animals that are stunned prior to slaughter have a humane death either unfortunately, but the vast majority do.

In an ideal world (imo), all meat animals would be able to be humanely slaughtered on the farm where they are reared.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Re: Muslims eating horsemeat. This is what I found with a quick google search

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/70320

What is the ruling on eating horse meat?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The majority of scholars are of the view that it is permissible to eat horses, because of the sound ahaadeeth that have been narrated concerning that.

It was narrated from Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said: On the day of Khaybar, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade eating the flesh of domestic donkeys, but he granted a concession with regard to horses. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3982; Muslim, 1941.

It was narrated that Asma’ bint Abi Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: At the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) we slaughtered a horse and ate it. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5191; Muslim, 1942.

It was narrated that Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: We traveled with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and we used to eat the flesh of horses and drink their milk. Narrated by al-Daaraqutni and al-Bayhaqi. Al-Nawawi said: with a saheeh isnaad.

Other scholars – including Abu Haneefah and his two companions – are of the view that it is makrooh to eat horse meat. They quoted a Qur’aanic verse and a hadeeth as evidence for that.

The verse is as follows (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (He has created) horses, mules and donkeys, for you to ride and as an adornment”

[al-Nahl 16:8]

They said: He did not mention eating them, but He mentioned eating an’aam animals (camels, cattle etc) in a previous verse (verse 5).

The scholars responded to that by noting that mention of riding and adornment does not mean that their benefits are limited to that, rather these two are singled out for mention because they are the uses to which horses are put in the majority of cases. This is like the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al‑Maitah (the dead animals — cattle — beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine” [al-Maa’idah 5:3]. Here flesh is mentioned because that is what is usually eaten in most cases. The Muslims are unanimously agreed that the fat, blood and all other parts of the pig are also forbidden, and they said: hence Allaah does not mention carrying load on horses, although He says with regard to an’aam animals (camels etc), “And they carry your loads” [al-Nahl 16:7]. This does not imply that it is haraam to carry loads on horses. End quote from al-Majmoo’.

The hadeeth that they quote is that which was narrated from Khaalid ibn al-Waalid, that he said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the flesh of horses, mules and donkeys, and every wild animal that has fangs.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Nasaa’i and Ibn Maajah.

This hadeeth is da’eef (weak), and was classed as such by al-Albaani in Da’eef Abi Dawood.

Al-Haafiz Moosa ibn Haroon said: This is a weak hadeeth. Al-Bukhaari said: This hadeeth is subject to further investigation.

Al-Bayhaqi said: This is a mudtarab (faulty) isnaad, and in addition to that it contradicts the ahaadeeth of trustworthy narrators, which say that the meat of horses is permitted. Al-Khattaabi said: There is something wrong with its isnaad. Abu Dawood said: This hadeeth is mansookh (abrogated). Al-Nasaa’i said: The hadeeth which says that it is permissible is more sound. It is more likely, if this is saheeh, that it has been abrogated, because of what it says in the saheeh hadeeth, “Permission was given to eat the flesh of horses,” indicates that.

End quote from al-Majmoo’, 9/7-5

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 08:40 PM
The biggest horse slaughtering countries for food are
China 1,700,000 204,000
Mexico 626,000 78,876
Kazakhstan 340,000 55,100
Mongolia 310,000 38,000