Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
And correctly administered, halal and kosher slaughtering IS quick!

Again I can't speak for Halal but yes - with Kosher meats, the first cut HAS to be a swift, clean cut. If the animal makes any sound of pain for example, the meat cannot actually be classified as Kosher.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
McDonalds dontchaknow!

LOL I lived and worked in the Middle East for several years. Thought it was very cute when I first saw a McDavid's in Israel
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
LOL I lived and worked in the Middle East for several years. Thought it was very cute when I first saw a McDavid's in Israel
I remember when we lived in Cyprus finding is highly amusing that McD's sold Carlsberg, and that you could order a Big mac meal and have a pint with it!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Again I can't speak for Halal but yes - with Kosher meats, the first cut HAS to be a swift, clean cut. If the animal makes any sound of pain for example, the meat cannot actually be classified as Kosher.
That's really interesting, I didn't know that.
My son is about to go to a Jewish school and I want to research kosher meat to give him the option about whether he will eat the meat, so he can make an informed choice for himself. Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated, obviously all the meat in the canteen will be
Kosher, and if he goes away with school on trips. Rightly so.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Remember, it is not just MEAT that is kosher/halal, ALL the foods will be, some will involve animal products............
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Remember, it is not just MEAT that is kosher/halal, ALL the foods will be, some will involve animal products............
Yes, I realise that...so life could be tricky for him lol!!! the decision will be his, I suspect he will be okay with it all, especially from what Tabitha has said. I think it is important he understands though... Out of common curtesy is nothing else.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Sorry for typos... The downside of an iphone.
Swisbey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I take your point "animal lovers". Well, some are. The halal slaughter does need to come under UK law. I am ashamed to be part of the human race at times.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Swisbey View Post
I take your point "animal lovers". Well, some are. The halal slaughter does need to come under UK law. I am ashamed to be part of the human race at times.

What about kosher slaughter, does that not need to come under UK law?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
She couldn't Azz , the cleansing routine is more intense than that. The dog shouldn't have been anywhere near her, it's easy enough to do, it's about respect.
I never let mine go to someone unless it's clear the person wants contact. When we had the pups I went out of my way to ensure they couldn't get to people unless I was ok and they were, with contact and that was a hugely important part of their training as well.
Aside from the religion issue , some people do not like dogs, some people are allergic to them. One if my close friends is hugely allergic to dogs and uf a dog touched her she would be really ill. She isn't alone.
I am hugely allergic to cats,I spent the day in a house with 4 of them on Saturday. Despite my antihistamine I ended up wheezy, itchy eyed and sneezing. I didn't touch them and I really wanted to, but if I had done I would have become worse instantly, my skin would end up covered in hives and I would have had to go home. It's that bad. How unfair is it to assume it's okay for a dog to touch someone?
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Generally speaking, quite a well put principle.

Not relevant to akitagirl's story though, as that was about a deaf man whom took his assistance dog to a preaarranged meeting with the council regarding his deaf issues, involving councillors whom knew why he was their and presumably that he is accompanied by an assistance dog.

The onus was on this councillor before the meeting to raise her issue and set guildelines for the meeting accordingly.
After all, she is a council official, she should know her employer is full of policies regarding cultural inclusion, health and safety, work place practices, etc, etc.
In other words, she has loads of rights at work and her employer is more than happy to accomodate them.

This story isnt an issue of religious rights at all, its just an issue of an individual whom decided not to make use of her head and mouth, and consequently committed an act of animal cruelty.

Therefore, your principle of people should ask before dogs say hello to strangers is correct, but in this context that is trumped by the principle that people should take responsibility for themselves and speak up.
Neither principle anything to do with religion or culture, they both apply equally to everyone.

talking critically about muslim culture isnt racism either, islam isnt a race.
otherwise i have been a right royal racist the last few threads i made criticising christianity
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well seeing as none of us were there, and seeing as we are ALL making assumptions on who was were and who should not have done what.

My guess is and going by most people who have assistance dogs, they are usually on leads close to their owners , to allow them to do the job they are trained for.

So blaming a disabled man for his dog being kicked by an irate woman, seems a little odd.
As said above - the responsibility was on the councillor.

And I had to laugh at your comments about allergies Ramble - I doubt anyone has a severe or life threatening allergy to a cat or dog, at worst I'd imagine a flair up of sneezing. Maybe I should start kicking people away when they smell of those stupid chemicals (perfumes) they give me a headache!

If that councillor kicked my dog she would have been prosecuted, or got the same treatment from me - my 'religion' says backwards animal abusers must be punished
Page 16 of 41 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »