View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2004, 06:13 AM
Of course you do not have to show to breed, lots of street dogs manage well enough, but it does help you learn to know a good dog if you see one also and more important what problems the breed has and which lines carry them. The show community will help teach you and advice you and the information you will get from the breed elders can't be found in any book. That way you can try to improve on the health and construction of your chosen breed and not just breed because you can. Good luck with your plans you have plenty of time to research your breed before you will need to look for a suitable stud.
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

03-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi Ems,

Hmmm. this is a hot potato question for me so I shall put my thoughts but please don't take offence.

As I run a rottie site, my affix co-owner and I get many questions on the breeding side and my stock answer is not to breed from your first and you should have a good grounding in working and show (for our breed).

Now my reasons are that if you buy a bitch and you breed from her, the chances of you getting a good quality bitch can be small and also you don't have any experience with males (which are a different kettle of fish) so how can you offer advice to your puppy owners? Also the breed ring gives you invaluable groundwork on conformation etc.

Some breeds do get divided into distinct types (e.g. show/work) and this is a tendency that had crept into the Rottweiler.

I do believe that there are some outstanding dogs in pet homes, mainly because the owners do not want to show for various reasons (nerves, politics etc.). I do think it's worthwhile persevering with showing though but I know it is nerveracking when you start out.

If you want to meet up at any shows, let me know and we'll come across and say hello but you will have to be mugged by Otto, Freya and Grace (in the nicest possible way of course :P ) - you can have a good laugh at our efforts in the show ring then !
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2004, 04:52 PM
thanks for all advice. All of what everyone has said makes good sense, i think i will show, as i couldnt possibly know if my bitch was the best or not, or if the dogs im producing are within the standard and/or are good examples of the breed.
trouble is i wouldnt know where to start atall, is there a special puppy training for shows??

Alison, i havent taken offence, i value your advice/opinions
I know people have strong opinions on breeding/showing, thats why i ask
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2004, 10:05 AM
ok, my input here is-------having shown around 22 years, slowly learning, sitting exams on construction, on my chosen breed-having picked reared dogs that where champions in the breed and knowing i had a fair idea of what lines-sires produced what in there offspring ONLY THEN did i breed. ------ because by then i felt id done the best i could , learnt as much as i felt i could , although i know we still learn along the way, ---- i didnt just go buy a bitch, and breed relying on asking others, :smt018 to do it right i think you need to prove you understand the breed inside out, -- i sat a judging exam on my breed along with many others, aome big names too, - i was top student with a distinction !!!!!!! proving i understood the workings and functions of the breed----this has paid me big time, as ive now been the top breeder for 2 consecutive years-and currently so this year, i was also top breeder in ireland last year from a bitch i sold over there,-- this is the way i feel it should be done, a genuine interest and willing to wait until you know what your doing.,- there are no short cuts in breeding quality pups.

the other one id like to answer is the comments re faces-and everyone knowing who's going to win. when i was a novice i saw it like that too :smt017 but, if you learn and look youll probably see that they win because theyve done there homework and have fabulous stock, --they werent born faces, something got them known. ----- could it just be they have an eye for a dog and know how to breed a good one-----there youll find is the difference between breeding ------ and knowing and BREEDING!!!!

i came into pei around 8 years ago, i got top puppy bitch with my 1st one and bob at crufts as an unknown--top puppy dog with my second----i then campaigned casey-we are the breed leader-17cc's a bis at wks, many group placings etc, now people new to the breed mutter that they know who's going to win-im a face etc :smt071 ---- i disagree, i took my time-did my homework, and have produced the breeds highest winning bitch since they first set foot in the uk !!!!! this isnt to blow my own trumpet---its to explain the right way of doing it -and what you might acheive if done correctly. :smt023 ------------------------------------------------- oh and i forgot to mention-not one of my litters have been by a big winning star of the ring------i look much further into it. genetics etc, a lot of big winners have sired not a thing, yet theres some dogs with great genetic makeup thats never been in the ring-caseys sire [top sire] hasnt been shown here, her dams sire [top sire] hasnt been shown. ---which proves a point i think, you have to know whats behind a dog, to know what might work, and until youve done your homework, theres plenty dogs out there to supply a pet demand, we dont really need more.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Dizzy that was excellent advice and well worth reading for any person considering showing or breeding.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Spot on Linda.
Anonymous
Dogsey Junior

04-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Deleted - double posted!
Anonymous
Dogsey Junior

04-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Well said Linda. I hope that those who think that you can stay at home and produce puppies who will do their chosen breed justice take what you have said on board.
I agree that you don't have to show to breed, but dog shows are certainly the best place to go and see a number of dogs (both good and not so good!) in one place to learn as much as possible before anyone even thinks about breeding.
I bet those who promote "why shouldn't anyone breed puppies if they want to" haven't had the success that you've had doing it the right way!
I also remember grumbling about the faces winning when I started over 20 years ago. When I look at pictures of the dogs I was showing then (and loved very much I must say!!) mine should have stayed at home in the cuddle box!!
I take my hat off to you Linda - well I would if I was wearing one!!
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2004, 10:56 AM
thanks everyone!!! and val--------thankyou and thankyou :smt081 one for each post :smt026
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi Gems On my picture page I have dedicated a photograph to two great breeders of my favourite breed the Miniture Schnauzer. One of them Mrs Milsom of 'Quarrydene' kennels imported some of the first, then bred and showed many great dogs and was as far as I am concerned one of the godmothers of my breed. When I had the privilige of meeting her she no longer attended dog shows or showed dogs but stayed at home and produced puppies, she certainly did justice to the breed with her skill and knowledge, many of the present day Miniture Schnauzers would not be around if it was not for her. The fact that she was elderly and no longer showed dogs was no reason to consign her to the ranks of the 'has beens'. Both Mrs Milsom and Dorothy Owen, the other lady whose dogs are in the picture gave freely of their time and knowledge to help other to get started in the breed they both loved. The novice who wished to buy a good puppy but was not sure about showing or how to get started in breeding was treated with kindness and taught all they wish to learn. I was one of those.
I and many other people are greatly indebted to those ladies for their help and kindness. Gems, I hope you meet someone in your chosed breed who will do the same for you
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >