Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Dog guards for car

Hi all, I drive an 03 vauxhall zafira & desperately need to buy a dog guard.
So far I havent had all 3 dogs in the back at once. I've had Sasi in on her own & Ruby & Khal into together.
What would be the best way or the safest to transport all 3 at once?
Sasi is going to be able to clamber up & over before long so am not sure if a cage type thing would be better for her + a guard for the other 2.

I haven't got much dosh to spend on it, so any advice/ideas/photos of yours appreciated as always.

Bev
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Some people like harnesses, I like either a cage or a dog guard and tail gate guard. You can get universal fitting guards, although don't know about tailgate guards as there as so many shapes of car boots.

Barjo engineering do bespoke cages and guards, they are expensive but they sometimes do 2nd hand or try e-bay as people sell them when they sell their cars. Vauxhall may do a specific guard for your car?

Cages rattle less but you loose space at the sides of the car, they are also heavy if you have to get them out to get to the spare tyre.

I like having a tailgate guard. After I walk Max I put him in the car safely, shut the tailgate guard and leave the boot door open while I change my boots. He is safe in the car but kept cool. Also, if you have a rear end shunt and the boot flies open, a tailgate guard or cage will stop the dogs from jumping out.
nickynockynoono
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2011, 05:59 PM
From today in Aldi;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

We've had one in our Vauxhall Astra. We put the 2 back seats down and fit this in. Not bad for a tenner.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Some people like harnesses, I like either a cage or a dog guard and tail gate guard. You can get universal fitting guards, although don't know about tailgate guards as there as so many shapes of car boots.

Barjo engineering do bespoke cages and guards, they are expensive but they sometimes do 2nd hand or try e-bay as people sell them when they sell their cars. Vauxhall may do a specific guard for your car?

Cages rattle less but you loose space at the sides of the car, they are also heavy if you have to get them out to get to the spare tyre.

I like having a tailgate guard. After I walk Max I put him in the car safely, shut the tailgate guard and leave the boot door open while I change my boots. He is safe in the car but kept cool. Also, if you have a rear end shunt and the boot flies open, a tailgate guard or cage will stop the dogs from jumping out.
I was thinking that about the space beside a cage as Ruby & Khal are quite big dogs to squeeze in the space that would left for em.
I absolutely love the idea of the tailguard will go check that out now.
Thankyou

Originally Posted by nickynockynoono View Post
From today in Aldi;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

We've had one in our Vauxhall Astra. We put the 2 back seats down and fit this in. Not bad for a tenner.
OOOh that looks good, thankyou, I'll see if i can nip to Aldi at lunchtime tomorrow.

Bev
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:29 PM
At 30mph, a 60lb dog would be thrown forward with a force equivalent to 1200lbs – enough to kill a driver or passenger.

So a robust dog guard or cage is essential for your safety that of your passengers, your dogs and other road users.

There are a number of companies that specialize in producing off the shelf cages that will fit virtually any make of car that is available in the UK. They come in various designs from the solid sided fibreglass models to those made entirely from steel which will fold flat for easy storage when not in use. They can be fitted with dividers if you have more than one dog; escape doors (so that you can remove your dog from the front of the car in case of a rear end shunt); drinking bowls, fans, hooks for leads etc and can be locked for security. For specialized needs many companies offer a bespoke service.

The advantage of these is that the dog is completely contained and therefore unable to damage any of the vehicle interior or escape during an accident. For those dogs which spend a great deal of time in the car travelling either on holiday or to and from events, it means that all the windows and tailgate/boot can be left open whilst ensuring both security and full ventilation.

Dog Guards are designed to prevent the dog interfering with the driver/passengers; again those companies that specialize in these will have various models shaped to the angle of the rear seat to give maximum floor space. They may often come with the facility to bolt to the roof and floor of the car for safety. Be wary of cheap, mass produced varieties which will not withstand the impact of a large dog on sudden braking etc due to their inferior quality and inefficient mounting mechanisms.

Tailgate Guards can be used in conjunction with Dog Guards and again provide security when parked with full ventilation.

This combination is cheaper than a car cage but it does have the disadvantage that the car interior could be damaged by tooth/claw say of puppy and windows tend to get very “snotty”!

Both layouts mean that the dog can be kept under control whilst opening the vehicle tailgate.

As well as ebay, look here:

http://www.agilitynet.co.uk/clutch/fleamarket.htm
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Grrr - I just ordered one from Amazon tonight and that Aldi one looks much better for what we're after! Oh well - we need a second one anyway - may have to pop and have a looksie tomorrow morning.

More vitally... foamy strawberries on the special offers page as well
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks for that SB. I am planning on doing alot of travelling with the dogs to shows & stuff hopefully this summer. I already take them out quite a bit in the car but only short distances to the woods etc..
Gonna have a look at the link you posted , I have my heart set on a tail guard now , be best for everyone all round.

Ha Dizzi, I'd noticed the foamys too
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a universal one. A dog can easily lean against the legs adn dislodge it, plus as smokeybear says it wouldn't be especially useful in the event of the crash. I've go the next cheapest option - a manufacturers OEM guard which fits securley into bespoke fittings. In the ideal world, I would get one of the totally enclosed units, like a lintran, to prevent damage and hair getting everywhere. I picked my guard up off ebay for about £50 and would recommend scouring that for comething suitable. A lot of the time you can get a good bargain if the item is collection only.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Iv just bought a guard and tailgate guard from barjo..id thoroughly reccomend their work.
Maybe you can find one on ebay or contatc barjo and ask if they have any second hand ones to fit your car
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Snoringbear View Post
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a universal one. A dog can easily lean against the legs adn dislodge it, plus as smokeybear says it wouldn't be especially useful in the event of the crash. I've go the next cheapest option - a manufacturers OEM guard which fits securley into bespoke fittings. In the ideal world, I would get one of the totally enclosed units, like a lintran, to prevent damage and hair getting everywhere. I picked my guard up off ebay for about £50 and would recommend scouring that for comething suitable. A lot of the time you can get a good bargain if the item is collection only.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I've been searching various websites for the tail guard & normal guard they are quite pricey but ive decided that if im gonna get one I may aswell get the best i can within my limit.
Its gonna be used alot & id rather my furbabies were safe.
Ive had my car from new but not bothered about snots & drools etc as what the dogs dont damage the kids probably will

Bev
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >