Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:09 PM

Adult dogs correcting rude puppies

Can anyone tell me more about how adult dogs correct puppies? Would a dog find a puppy running up, skipping a greeting and going straight under it's feet rude behaviour? What sort of reactions so adult dogs do to correct the puppy?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes a puppy just bimbling up and not paying attention to the adult dog would be considered rude and the adult dog would growl, or air snap at the offending pup... Some dogs are of course more lenient than others... Selkie put up with a great deal from Kismet, where Pharaoh was much less patient and would give her the 'face' if she so much as wandered in his general direction. Selkie would put a paw on Kismet and held her down if Kismet was getting too in her face. But they soon learned each other's boundaries and sorted out their place.

The wolves at my local zoo recently had cubs and I spent many happy hours watching them and their interactions with the older wolves.. The lower ranking wolves seemed to let the pups get away with almost anything including taking meat from them, but the Alpha wolves would snarl and air snap at any infraction. I saw one particularly naughty cub get a nip and pinned to the ground with noisy snarls and growls for being silly enough to jump on his dad's back, sounded like the older wolf was killing the pup and many of the people watching were horrified. Poor little pup was screaming loudly and was obviously upset afterwards, but he scuttled away, clearly unhurt and much more respectful of his dad's boundaries after that... The keepers were not concerned, they had seen the behaviour before.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Depends on the dog doing the correcting.

Tassle would not stand for it and she would correct hard. Siren Snaps and runs - Trip - I would not like to guess.
Gabe, growls and possibly a snap.

Zeff.....he would not notice!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I think it depends on the dog, their own experiences and social history. They might not have the best language themselves.
Some will put a paw on the pup and hold it, some will growl, air snap or 'shoo' away...I've seen Mum's mainly pin them with paws, or when a pup was incessant she simply held her mouth over his neck and pinned him using that until he relaxed. Pup went away with a soggy neck but no injury.

Axel is different. He has mostly met 'rude' dogs and pups who are onlead, but he will mainly look away if they're being in his face, when they calm down he'll initiate some contact like a sniff. He doesn't like rude dogs, but is highly tolerant, the only time he has growled was when a dog tried to mount him.

I think adults teaching pups is fascinating to watch, pups need to learn boundaries from each other I think and so long as it's nothing too severe we should watch and let them get on with it.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:49 PM
As above posts ,I have had all of the different corrections used depending on how persistant the foster pup/s has been and what mood my dogs are in, They still go back for more so figure even if it looks bad to us sometimes it isn't ,just a dogs way of saying back off give me some space!