Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 12:55 PM

pc broke :(

I've managed to completley break my PC
Basically, I had uploaded my graphics card driver (which altered something in the bios too). So when I've started having problems weeks/months ago such as flashing screen, crashes upon crashes, non boot ups etc, etc, I gave up and reformatted my pc (thinking that it was probably a conflict since the graphics work fine in safe mode).

Before I reformatted, I tried system restore to oct, and it wouldn't boot up, hence I've had to reformat completely

Now it won't boot up fully as it's missing the updated driver (which I downloaded off the net). As soon as I get through to the windows desktop, the screen freezes and it crashes with the error box saying that the driver for my graphics card needs updating

So I'm stuck on what to do next. Can anyone help? Please?

(bare in mind, I can't access the internet for the updated driver from home)
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 12:58 PM
most of that was greek to me but hugs anyway ((((((((())))))))
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
most of that was greek to me but hugs anyway ((((((((())))))))

Thanks hun

Here's the non geek version:

PC completely broke cos I messed with something that I shouldn't have
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Can you get in to the BIOS if you can set everything to the safe default values then save and see what happens.

Just changing on thing in there can stop it from booting.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 01:25 PM
aahhhhh understand now!!!!!! oops, ask leo she is the fountain of technical knowledge!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
aahhhhh understand now!!!!!! oops, ask leo she is the fountain of technical knowledge!
lol i don't know about that!
just spend to much time messing around with the pc,i make mistakes then learn the hard way how to put it right.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Graphics cards are funny things. Sometimes the best thing to do is bite the bullet and buy a new one.

If it's any help, I have a really old basic one which I'd be willing to bung in you're direction for the price of the postage and a pint or two.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Will it let you boot into Safe Mode ? {Press F8 key during bootup}

If you choose the 'Safe Mode with Networking' option, it should allow you access to the Internet.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all your hints everyone

Rich, I think hubby has ordered me one for xmas, but appreciate the offer hun.. thank you

Roy, for some reason, I can't connect to the internet when it's running in safe mode, so I have had to put my external modem on my old pc, hence I'm posting this now.

I've even downloaded the driver onto the old pc and tried to burn that to disc, but I think I haven't loaded my cd burning software properly since it won't recognise the disc as being blank

So i'm still stuck. The strangest thing that I did notice was that before I reformatted the new pc, I ran it in safe mode and it didn't crash or flash once Thats why I think it's a conflict of someform, but couldn't find out what, hence I've wiped the lot now.

I'll try and get the new driver onto the new machine and see if that works. If it doesn't, no doubt I'll be here asking again

Thanks
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Well Disaster struck for the second time, when I downloaded the windows update for 98

I got a virus and so had no pc at all
3 days without DW Has been hell
But fingers crossed, I'm back now

So for anyone who has a machine running 98, don't do the windows critical update as it puts a nasty, nasty worm on your pc which will render it completely useless!

And I hope that you all have a lovely christmas and a pc problem free 2006
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >