View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Superfran
New Member!
Female 

25-10-2012, 01:15 PM
My dog ate cat poo today and later climbed on me kissed me on the face. I've only just put two and two together reading this thread and feel a little blergh now!
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wozzy View Post
I think to push a dog into physical contact it isnt comfortable with is wrong. I have a dog who adores close physical contact, hugs, kisses etc and isnt intimidated or phased by it at all. Then I have 2 who dont like it - one gets intimidated and the other just prefers space. In their case I always show them affection by stroking safer areas like chest, rib cage etc and making sure I dont have arms draped over them or my face too close or just not getting into their space too much. It's not that i'm afraid they'll bite me, i'm just respectful of the fact they arent into big displays of affection.

Jed has got better as he's got older and accepts more fuss nowadays and although he is a big bear of a dog who has a luxurious coat, I just have to accept that i'm never going to be able to bury myself in it!

So no, I dont think it's something that should be trained out, although in some instances a dog can learn to appreciate affection and contact more, but I think their limits are something to be respected, not pushed.
I have had my fair share of non kissers and have respected that, Ben my TM was especially adverse to a snog, or even a cuddle, he wasn't aggressive about it, but you could tell by his posture he wasn't over the moon either.
He was a bear of a dog too, especially in his winter coat, how I would have loved to snuggle up to him, but he would have hated it.

In the main, Staffies do seem to enjoy close contact with their owners, I don't think the notion of personal space, is even in their vocabulary.
Daisy's kissing habit's aren't even her oddest behaviour, she enjoys have a raspberry blown on her belly, now what the hell's that all about ?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Umm. Pereg has to sit and wait for her food - do the "please mommy" - then it is "look at me and give me a kiss" - which is only nose to nose before I say she may have/eat.

She loves cuddles and walloppy thumps but all physical interaction is according to what she wants.

But if she does not want cuddles then I understand and respect her feelings.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
It's quite natural for some dogs to "kiss" and if I thought of my dog as filthy I wouldn't own one TBH

My point was respect your dog really and some like it some don't. I would guess people who get hurt doing it are not respecting their dog because as I say Duncan doesn't like it so we don't do it to him.

If we did as you suggest next generation would feel their dog was a disease carrier and feel fearful of it.
I am a realist, my dog licks his willie and his balls, occasionally consumes faeces of other animals. Sticks his nose into the backsides of other dogs.

Being sensible does not = being fearful.

Does wearing a seatbelt mean the next generation become fearful of cars?

I do not really care WHO kisses their dogs, where or when, feedback was requested.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes but we aren't talking of swapping saliva or french kissing here, I don't think anyone will catch anything from a lick on a cheek providing they are going to use soap and water later, and when I kiss Mollie it's on her head or cheek I don't thrust my tongue in her mouth and she doesn't do that to me either.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Do I think a dog should be forced to accept 'kisses' - NO.

Do i think that it is important that a dog will accept a human head near his/her own head without feeling the need to bite YES.

I think we should respect our dogs, but equally I feel that face biting is not acceptable and is something which should be worked on to avoid any potential accidents. Afterall, though I might not want to kiss my dog, I might want to have a good look at a grass seed in their eye or a tick on their face - all of which would require quite close contact between my face and the dog's head.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 02:17 PM
hmmm...I have on very licky dog...She is allowed to lick hands only...She NOT allowed to lick anyones face.

I am talking about a dog who eats crap, licks her own starfish, and lady garden and consumes gawd knows what.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Yes but we aren't talking of swapping saliva or french kissing here, I don't think anyone will catch anything from a lick on a cheek providing they are going to use soap and water later, and when I kiss Mollie it's on her head or cheek I don't thrust my tongue in her mouth and she doesn't do that to me either.
Haha kaya would given the chance! X
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by misskatie20 View Post
Haha kaya would given the chance! X
Haha Mollie would too but so far we are quicker than she is and read her mind so know what she is about to try
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I do not want to kiss my dog neither do I want him to kiss me, I know where his nose, lips and tongue have been!
This basically
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >