Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crystal
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2005, 10:10 AM

Jack Russell or Lurcher?

After recently losing our dog we are slowly thinking of getting a new puppy sometime in the future.

I want a laid-back dog that enjoys the company of people and other dogs and walks as I live near the sea

I would like a lurcher, but my partner wants a jack russell.
I've read that jack russells can be stubborn and aggressive?

Any advice want dog would be best or any other advice would be most appreciated.

thanks
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I don't know about stubborn and aggressive I never place breeds in sterotypical boxes. I believe it's how the owner brings a dog up and of course a bit to do with the temprament of the dogs parents. A jack russell is a working dog they are intelligent and need lots of mental and physical stimulation. They are not for couch potatoes!! My own JRT does agility, flyball, Dog modelling and has just been accepted as a PATS dog. If you have the time and energy to give a JRT the stimulation they need then they are great charismatic little dogs who will bring you great joy. If not opt for something much more docile!

Good luck with your choice.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure, but although lurchers are very laid back, you can't generally let them off lead because they're not good with recall. If this is the case then your dog will have to be on lead the whole time!

There are however, lurcher people on here so I will probably get told off and ciontradicted in a bit!

Lottie
doglover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Now I have a JRT she's certainly NOT aggressive all I can say, dog proof doesn't necessarily mean JRT proof.......
They can be very cheeky but also very loving and always there for u.
ZoeU
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2005, 11:29 AM
My lurcher is definitely not laid back!!! He's extremely bouncy and absolutely everything is a source of wonderment and adventure to him Oh and he's also very nosy Although he does have frequent naps he is generally very energetic and needs a fair bit of execise. Our greyhound on the other hand loves to sleep and most of the time you wouldn't notice she's there except she takes up a whole sofa to spread herself out on!
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Hi Crystal,
I have a Jack Russell and was a bit dubious like you, she is one year old, tomorrow and we have had her for 4 monhs. She is very fussy, fast and very, very loving. I get woken with kisses every day so does OH. he objected at first but she is such a gem that you can't get cross with her. She loves to walk (run) and we live overlooking the sea, so although at the moment she doesn't like water, she will come round eventually. Very very intelligent and I would recommend JRT's to anyone.
Hope you make the right choice for you both.
Best Wishes.
Annex
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 03:53 PM
I would go for either! Both working dogs, both have loads of stamina and energy, both chase things that move and if they catch them, both would probably kill them! Both are usually great family dogs and have wonderful characters.
Dawn.
ZoeU
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
I would go for either! Both working dogs, both have loads of stamina and energy, both chase things that move and if they catch them, both would probably kill them! Both are usually great family dogs and have wonderful characters.
Dawn.
That sums it up exactly I think Dawn Neither is for the faint hearted!
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:32 PM
I think it also depends what type of lurcher you have, get one with collie in and its gona be a bit more hyper, you'd need to research the breeds behind the type of lurcher you chose. Not really sure on J.R.Ts the one i know is snappy but thats probably the way he was bought up. Try a lurcher & greyhound rescue if u go for a lurcher. I let my lurcher off the lead without a problem you'd just need to make sure you trained a good recall.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi,
JRT's arent for the light wait, they need a lot of trainign, excersise, and mental stimulation if not they become aggressive, destructive and can be a nightmare, you may find my article on the JRT very intersting
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/the...u-1_13785.html

I will never be without at least one russell, but too have more than one JRT is insanity!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >