Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2007, 06:13 PM

Really odd visit to the vets..

Ive just been to the vets with Flower as some of you may know she has been itching excessively recently.

In the waiting room was a lil cavalier and Flower was her usual self looking, having a nosy and wanting to play...she has always loved any other dog she has met and just wanted to be friendly!!

Then walked in a rottie, and Flower went absolutely berserk?? I couldnt understand her behaviour at all, she was sat over the other side of the waiting room from her...I tried to calm her down (having my foot shreded in the process by her claws) and she just would not stop barking..but it was either a frightened or a vicious bark, im not sure?

I apologised to the owners as she is not normally like this and there poor girl was shaking!

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Another dog then walked in and she was absolutely fine with it? Could she have sensed something??

Its just really bothered me thats all!!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2007, 06:54 PM
As she is so young my guess would be that she was frightened. Rufus used to do this with people who approached him but he is a little braver now
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I have just spoken to my mum and told her about it, she also said she must have been frightened. Its so strange though because th other dog that came in was just as big as the rottie??

I felt bad for telling her to be quiet but the other owners looked rather cross that flower was barking...but I couldnt stop her!?? xxx
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2007, 07:31 PM
She might have just developed a dislike for a certain breed, there doesn't even have to be a reason for it

One of mine is like this and has just taken a dislike to certain breeds/types of dog.

She is not aggressive to them but will avoid them at all costs - unless they come near her Mum and then she gets in between them and me and her body posture certainly tells them to keep away.

It isn't the size of the dog that bothers her either. For example, she loves, and will initiate play with, cockers, shelties, whippets, greyhounds, goldies (her favourites), normal coat shepherds, cavaliers (but will not tolerate Blenheims ) staffies, newfies, bernies, poodles (all sizes).

She keeps her distance from long coat shepherds, labs (these are her most disliked) collies and Blenheim cavaliers.

All other dogs she just ignores.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
She might have just developed a dislike for a certain breed, there doesn't even have to be a reason for it
True. My Inca just hates staffies, no reason for it at all that I know of, especially if Tonto is around. At the NIS last year I was told quite a lot of them don't like staffies.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
True. My Inca just hates staffies, no reason for it at all that I know of, especially if Tonto is around. At the NIS last year I was told quite a lot of them don't like staffies.
It's really strange isn't it Beckyc, I can understand her reasons for disliking collies and labs - she has had bad experiences of these, but to single out a certain colour within a breed is just bizarre . Who knows what goes through their minds
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Thats what I found really odd... Flower has never had a bad encounter with any breed...but a GSD..never a rottie?? Its so very strange and it really unnerved me to be honest!!! I just got frightened I guess!!! xxx
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-08-2007, 10:34 PM
My Storm was most dog loving dog you could meet but always had a problem with rotties from when he was a pup. He would bark, growl and go mental, we worked with him and let him meet as many as possible, all went well till one went for Jake and Storm saw red again and chased the rottie off. After that it was best to avoid them when storm was with us.

I do think dogs can dislike certain breeds and this might be a case.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I think you could be right stormey! The only thing that bothers me is if we were to rescue a dog...i always thought flow would love any dog, I really will have to be careful i think, and make sure they can be friends first!!!! xxxx
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2007, 01:39 AM
They are so individual and it could have just been some mixed up body language between the two that sparked her off. Try not to worry too much, I know it is embarrasing but if I was the other owners I would understand - they (dogs) can't be perfect all of the time
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >