View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Many people don't care if they can't register the pups, if they have a dog they wanna breed they are gonna breed from said dog whether the pups can be registered or not, or they will use any registery like dog lovers, where any dog can be registered, unfornatly nothing is fool proof, and there are plenty of idiots around.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 11:07 AM
You did thanks for the info you gave. maybe then the show world doesn't help- maybe if Staffords were accepted in the ring without having to have papers(as rescue won't give them out if they cone with there kc papers)
I have seen some stunning staffs come into rescue that would walk the shows- I know little about showing so are they allowed in show ring without papers? Ate there any classes for rescue Staffords at the big shows? Do you think there should be - and if there was theoretically would that help to make you not breed but still show?

I honestly don't want to pick on you because you are a "good" breeder who obviously has thought stuff through- however I do feel thats a minority, and I do wonder about the NEED to breed, and others reasoning for it
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 11:24 AM
No dog regardless of breed would be allowed to compete in open or champ shows without the KC Papers.

I don't think it's the show breeders well the majority anyway which are creating the problem,most are active in raising funds for rescue etc etc.

It's the people which just want to breed,won't listen to reason and will breed regardless whether or not the dog is KC'd, doesn't matter because all they see is £ signs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately I think there is little anyone can do to stem the flow of Staffie pups that constantly flood the market. If my experience with GSD Rescue is anything to go by, it isn't the good breeders that are the problem. They will always care where and who they sell their pups to, will take an interest and offer advice if needed for the entire lifetime of that pup, and will take any dog back that they have bred at any time in the future if needs be.
The problem as I see it are the irresponsible and/or ignorant owners of this breed (and others!) who breed purely for profit or "because they can". They don't care who they sell to, where their pups end up or what happens to them.

The Staffie problem is a huge one, but until this breed (and its crosses) become less popular with certain factions of society, then I sadly cannot see light at the end of the tunnel. It is very sad indeed.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
You did thanks for the info you gave. maybe then the show world doesn't help- maybe if Staffords were accepted in the ring without having to have papers(as rescue won't give them out if they cone with there kc papers)
I have seen some stunning staffs come into rescue that would walk the shows- I know little about showing so are they allowed in show ring without papers? Ate there any classes for rescue Staffords at the big shows? Do you think there should be - and if there was theoretically would that help to make you not breed but still show?

I honestly don't want to pick on you because you are a "good" breeder who obviously has thought stuff through- however I do feel thats a minority, and I do wonder about the NEED to breed, and others reasoning for it
I don't mind you questioning anything I put up here because it can only help to get information across.
In the Breed Record Suppliment it gives details of all litters bred and by whom. People who show amount to around 1% of pups registered, thats not a lot of pups in the scheme of things. Because they breed mainly for the next dog to show they are looking to breed the best they can. They are generally health tested and they look after their own even if the reason they do that is because of peer pressure. These same people tend also to be very active in their support of breed rescue wether it be fund raising, home checking or transport. They will also be the first ones to not breed if its not right so blanket you must not breed is not an option to me.
A blanket you should not breed irresponsibly is much harder but the only way, and that should be for any breed.
I have no idea who breeds dogs that don't go in the breed suppliment and you will never find out the true extent of those numbers.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I don't mind you questioning anything I put up here because it can only help to get information across.
In the Breed Record Suppliment it gives details of all litters bred and by whom. People who show amount to around 1% of pups registered, thats not a lot of pups in the scheme of things. Because they breed mainly for the next dog to show they are looking to breed the best they can. They are generally health tested and they look after their own even if the reason they do that is because of peer pressure. These same people tend also to be very active in their support of breed rescue wether it be fund raising, home checking or transport. They will also be the first ones to not breed if its not right so blanket you must not breed is not an option to me.
A blanket you should not breed irresponsibly is much harder but the only way, and that should be for any breed.
I have no idea who breeds dogs that don't go in the breed suppliment and you will never find out the true extent of those numbers.
Thanks and can you tell me how does one get a copy of the breed record supplement?

In my limited experience when we have had a dog come in that's traceable to a breeder who is kc registered etc, they haven't taken it back or been helpful in the rehoming of it, particularly the older the dog is as then there is less history on the sociability of dog and that's when rescue end up with the problem.

I would love to work with the breeders and rescue situation and we aim to try and get stands etc at the shows that we can. It's hard though when you also have the whole " damaged" rescue dog versus "puppy ready to mold!!" which as we know simply isn't the case- so so many Staffords in rescue are there simply because of them
Being Staffords and people not understanding their wee notions and quirks of the breed.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Thanks and can you tell me how does one get a copy of the breed record supplement?

In my limited experience when we have had a dog come in that's traceable to a breeder who is kc registered etc, they haven't taken it back or been helpful in the rehoming of it, particularly the older the dog is as then there is less history on the sociability of dog and that's when rescue end up with the problem.

I would love to work with the breeders and rescue situation and we aim to try and get stands etc at the shows that we can. It's hard though when you also have the whole " damaged" rescue dog versus "puppy ready to mold!!" which as we know simply isn't the case- so so many Staffords in rescue are there simply because of them
Being Staffords and people not understanding their wee notions and quirks of the breed.
You can get the breed record suppliment from the KC. Most breed clubs give stand space free to breed rescue. They usually use it to sell stuff to raise money.
I believe also that National Terrier gives free stand space to rescue.
Are you working with scottish staffordshire bull terrier rescue?

Just because they are KC registered does not mean they are responsible breeder, they just know they can ask a higher price. Again from the BRS 40% are now the colour blue and they will not be the show breeders.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I just really struggle with the fact anyone who wants a Staffie would go to a breeder full stop. A family pet (which was mentioned before) doesn't need to be reaching a certain standard looks wise, and Staffies are available in rescue from tiny pups to older dogs.

The majority of people obtaining a Staff are not doing it for show purposes so it wipes out the 'must meet the standard' argument. Many standards theses days are not for the good of the dog anyway and so a healthier version is generally the not 'standard' dog.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Claire, guess what...I agree with you!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
I just really struggle with the fact anyone who wants a Staffie would go to a breeder full stop. A family pet (which was mentioned before) doesn't need to be reaching a certain standard looks wise, and Staffies are available in rescue from tiny pups to older dogs.

The majority of people obtaining a Staff are not doing it for show purposes so it wipes out the 'must meet the standard' argument. Many standards theses days are not for the good of the dog anyway and so a healthier version is generally the not 'standard' dog.
Excellent post I have to agree and I am pretty sure there is a suitable SBT for anyone no matter what they choose to do with it in several rescues in the U.K. Leadstaffs I am pleased to see that breeders and breed shows are happy to help out rescues in the areas you mentioned. I think, and from the experiences I have knowledge of its not nearly as good in Scotland. Most breeders don't care and will have nothing to do with pups that end up in rescue and will have no input in rehoming pups or dogs produced by their dogs. This is of course where a scheme like car regestration would help and breeders could and should be held accountable for any dogs they produce with, as someone suggested non compliance being rewarded with a hefty fine which could go to rescues. There has to be consequences to actions and that does not happen at the minute.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »