Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 02:44 AM

Need Some Help With Two Behaviors

OK so I have two behaviors on each of my dogs that Im wishing to address but Im not really sure how to.

First issue is my Aussie has always been food crazy and I cant figure out how to get him to settle over it. It takes him literally 17 seconds (counting 1, 2, 3...) to finish his cup of food. He is on Canidae dry Chicken and Rice and he is doing very well on it, gained some weight too. This is something that has been going with him since he was a puppy (he will be 2 in September) and he has been on different foods to try and see if it was because he wasnt getting enough of something. Im just honestly sick of staying on top of him every time that he eats and hand feeding him half the time to make him slow down. Any tips? He eats on a raised feeder. Im just afraid of him bloating.

Second issue is with Ivan, my PointerXBC. He licks CONSTANTLY. When you call him and he comes to you, you get his tongue all over you and sometimes he leaps at your face. If you pet him he is constantly licking you. Ive tried telling him no and pushing his head away and calling him back to try to pet him again but now hes unsure whether he wants to approach at times. Ive also tried ignoring him when he licks but he just keeps on licking and if you move away he gets closer or finds another spot to lick. It begining to get on my nerves and I have no other ideas on how to fix it. The lady that had him before us let him lick her and I dont mind it but this is a bit much IMO.

Any help would be great.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Hi

Sebastian also ate very quickly, when I first got him... I handfed him for the first 2 weeks to get him to relax, and also to show him that I have control over the food... Now I often throw his meal out on the patio and sometimes even in the yard, so he can search for it... That slows him down a lot... I also have a treat dispenser, and when I'm working during the day, he gets half his meal in that.

Licking: He loves you! Sebastian is very licky as well... I sometimes put my hand around his snout, so he can't lick, especially if we're cuddling close to my face... Sebastian is still only a puppy, but I expect his licky stage to get less as he gets older.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
chucking food out for him to find is a great idea. i have also seen people put balls an things ontop of the food so the dog has to move it around
personally a big raw meaty bone keeps my guy chewing for 30min

Licking
Yup Ben is a ig licker - sometimes if you have an arm near him and watching tv he will lick and lick untill his tounge gets stuck cos its too dry
I just treated it like play biting, if he licks too much then he is moved away from me, he is slowly learning that lick lick lick means no more attention
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:19 AM
My foster staffy is a big licker too. If she gets the chance she will pin me down to the floor and lick my face all over. She also licks bare arms and legs.

As soon as she goes to lick I say 'No licking!' and move away a bit from her. When she stops I stroke her. If she goes to lick again I stop stroking and say 'No licking!' again.

It's definately helping to stop her. I think in her case it's a pacifying thing because she's had a traumatic time recently. But now she's relaxing a lot more the licking is getting less.

I've lost count of the amount of times she's managed to stick her tongue right in my mouth though
ticketyboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2008, 10:25 AM
My youngest dog is a 'licker' as well, especially when she comes to wake me up in a morning! I try and distract her so that it's only my hand she licks as I can't bear her licking my face.
....she's also a very fast eater, so I put her food down in two sittings (if you see what I mean), so that it gives the first lot time to go down before she starts on the second helping.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I have been throwing his food on the kitchen floor as its linoleum and it slides and spreads out. But my thing was I was wondering if there was a way to get him to slow down. If this is how he is going to be then I guess I will do the 2 meal thing with him and see how that works.

For the licking, thats a good idea Ben and Sarah. I never thought to treat it like play biting. So what would you do if you move away and he (or she in your case) moves closer to lick?? Im asking cause he has done that to me a couple of times.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Both mine eat in a few seconds flat, Diesel is VERY licky, always has been and he's 2 now but he knows not to lick our faces, he knows we dont like being covered in dog slob so he will do sly licks, with his tongue sneaking out the side of his mouth when he thinks no-one is looking
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Could you put a heavy ball in your Aussie's food bowl so he has to eat round it? There is also a bowl with different "lumps" in it, so they have to eat around them, I think you can buy it on the web, but I can't find a link for it at the moment.

Re the licking.... If Max tries to lick me, I just push his head away. He will try and lick my face/mouth a lot unless I push him away. He gets "three strikes" and then he is off the sofa!
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Ive tried putting something in his bowl but he pushes it out. Ive even put large heavy rocks in there but he gets his nose under it a pushes them out, and its the first thing he does. Ive thought about the bowl but the pretty pricey here, so I was looking for other alternatives first.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I have dogs that used to rush their food down, I was told by someone to put water in with the food, put the food in alarge bowl and add plenty of desert spoons, the dog has to try and catch the food in the water, BUT work around the spoons in the bowl, this REALLY worked with mine and now they eate at a somewhat normal speed. as for the licking, all I can say is I would love my dogs to show me such effection.

Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >