Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Agility - East Lothian

I used to train my GSD in agility back in Lancaster and enjoyed the training without ever wishing to compete.

As most of you know, my collies are working sheepdogs and so I never thought of doing agility with them, as I feel their needs are fully met through work and on our long walks. However, since moving to Scotland and having a baby, MY needs aren't being fully met What I mean is that I live in a very rural area, our nearest neighbour is about a mile away. I love my baby, my job and my OH, but I would really love to make some doggy friends up here. The only people I ever meet through sheepdog work or trialling are old men

Sooooo, as a result of this I have been considering taking a couple of the collies to agility training. I have checked out Agility net and have seen there are two in my area.

Does anyone know anything about either? One is in North Berwick and one at Garvald (just 10 mins from me )
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Never heard of the one at Garvald.

Just replied to your post on Stumpy's picture thread about one in Midlothian which I was thinking about joining, but depending on when it is Garvard would be feasible for me too.

Until you get sorted, if you feel the need for some female company, I'm quite happy to meet up for a walk (with or without baby), though it would have to be weekends (and Saturday would be best)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 04:00 PM
The one at Garvald is called Tyne Dog Training Club and this is what is says about it ...

Training venue: Chesters Riding School, Garvald, East Lothian
Training times: Summer: Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6.00-8.00pm; Winter: Sundays from 12 noon to 2.00pm
No. members: 40
Fees:
Other dog activities: Agility, Obedience
Events: Home and away fun days with Dryburgh Abbey TG, demonstrations
For more information, contact: Mrs Frances Urquhart
Tel: 01620-823653
Email: asurquhart@bigfoot.com
KC Registered: No
Est: 1994
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I would love to meet up for a walk It is easier without Ben at this stage, because he is so tiny and the weather is a bit cold, but I am sure my OH will be only too happy to look after him for a few hours.

Are there some nice walks in between me and you?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I would love to meet up for a walk It is easier without Ben at this stage, because he is so tiny and the weather is a bit cold, but I am sure my OH will be only too happy to look after him for a few hours.

Are there some nice walks in between me and you?
I'll have a look and pm you. I don't mind coming right across if it's easier, though perhaps you'd like a change of scenery.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 04:15 PM
That would be great. I don't mind meeting in the middle or over here, whichever is easiest.

I have emailed the lady at Garvald about the agility club and will let you know what she says.

There is a lovely walk in Butterdean Wood near Haddington that Louise told me about ... in fact, I might start a thread and see if Louise wants to come too
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2008, 08:07 PM
moobli,

i go to the club at Garvald.

Did you hear back from Frances or Alistair?

It is a small club but everyone gets on great.

Hope to see you there some time.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Hiya Zoot

I did hear back from Frances. I am still intending to come to agility with one of the collies but it will probably have to be in the summer now. I was hoping to have time to train for agility but with a 4 month old baby and lambing time, we are simply too busy just now. I hadn't realised how much time a young baby was going to take up

So I will hopefully see you there sometime in the next few months.

Can you tell me a bit about the club? Is it all collies, quite competitive etc? What sort of ages are the members?

Whereabouts are you in East Lothian? I am up in the Lammermuirs.
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-04-2008, 08:35 PM
there are a lot of collies, as at most agility clubs - but there are other breeds too. A few cross breeds, labs, border terrier... etc. but mainly collies

Members of all ages from about 10 years old up to people of retirement age (wouldn't like to guess anyones ages and upset them!)

not overly competitive. Everyone likes to win now and again but we all just enjoy running and training our dogs. To be honest there are only a few of us who compete due to work commitments etc.

we live in Wallyford.

hope to see you at the club sometime.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
there are a lot of collies, as at most agility clubs - but there are other breeds too. A few cross breeds, labs, border terrier... etc. but mainly collies

Members of all ages from about 10 years old up to people of retirement age (wouldn't like to guess anyones ages and upset them!)

not overly competitive. Everyone likes to win now and again but we all just enjoy running and training our dogs. To be honest there are only a few of us who compete due to work commitments etc.

we live in Wallyford.

hope to see you at the club sometime.
Great, sounds good. I am not interested in competing - just having a bit of fun with my dog. I am also really interested in doing Working Trials with my new GSD (when he arrives) - do you know if there are any clubs in this area? I was told there was a guy in Duns (who also trains dogs for SARDA) who used to compete/train in WT?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >