Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2006, 09:06 AM

Agility After Surgery ?

Does anyone know if a dog who has had leg surgery would ever be able to do agility ? I would love to do agility with Missy. She had a fall which knocked out her patella in May. She had surgery to correct it in September. Obviously , I would be careful with her but as she is a very active dog anyway , my feeling is that she would be just as likely to hurt herself when she is chasing a rabbit as she twists and turns very quickly until she catches it. She is just so hyperactive and I think agility would be a good way to channel her energy. What do you think ?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 09:17 AM
i would take advice from your vet on this one he will be able to monitor things better.....
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Just popped down to the vet for Missy's worming tablet. While I was there , I asked if Missy would be able to do agility since the surgery on her leg. My vet's answer was YES :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 . He did say to keep a close eye on her and any hint of lameness I should stop immediately. He also said that as she is a very active dog , she is no more likely to injure that leg doing agility than she is when running around off lead , so he sees no reason why not. Now I need to find an agility club in my area. Can anyone reccomend one near Edinburgh ?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 11:27 PM
The only club listed on Agilitynet is :

Leavenhall Flyers AC

Email: Anne.Animaled@btinternet.com

There are various dog training clubs here, some doing agility, none listed as specifically Edinburgh, but maybe there is one within reach ?

http://www.dogclub.co.uk/regions/region-sc.php

This place is probably worth a look on its opening if you can go along ? [ Jan 20th ]

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=13612007

When you do decide on a club, do make sure your instructor is fully appraised of Missy`s op and the result, he or she must watch carefully in case of lameness, [ it will be harder for you to tell yourself when alongside her or concentrating on what you are doing to guide her on a course or exercise ].
Aways remember, *you* know Missy, you went through her op and recovery with her and will be in tune with whats ok or not for her as she learns and progresses, so don`t ever let yourself be pressured to have Missy do any more than you consider she is ready for at any point - and have fun !

Please do let us know when you find a suitable club and how you get on. Piccies will be a must please
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks Patch . I'll give some of those a try and let you all know. It's only 4 months since her op so I plan to do some more basic obedience first , then think about agility after that. Hardest part I think though is finding a good club where I can get started.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2007, 08:42 AM
:smt026 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 Yipee , we found a beginners class nearby . Beginners agility . Course starts on 4th Feb and we're booked in . :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt026.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Have a wonderful time training
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Brilliant :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

PS

TAKE A CAMERA !!!!!

rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh I'm really pleased - as you can see started mine last night - such fun - hope you and Missy have a great time like we did!