View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2012, 07:27 PM
To be fair, I would not be annoyed with my dog if it was barking at a dog that was trying to get under a fence into his garden. How does he react just seeing the dog next door?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
lol SB you are the link diva - pay ya a fiver for all yer links!?!?!?!
Sometimes it helps that I am doing a lot of CPD...............
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
If she barks, take her inside. Wait a few mins then let her out, if she barks take her in again. Boring and repetitive but she'll soon get the message that barking = no garden!
Same here. I wasn't even going to post until I read that. Because it takes AGES!

But it works. She barks, I put her outside on the verandah - she stops. Let her back in, she barks again, back out on the verandah. After about (well I won't depress you with how long lol!) I don't even have to put her out - she barks - I do the hand signal hand out, pointing to the verandah - and off she trots (bless her!) stops barking but still waits for me to say she can come back in!

I've never done 'treat based' training. And waste of time with this 4kg tyrant. Halfway thro a treat training session and she'd have overtaken her food intake for a day!

But I do have patience and it does pay off. Just reward with over the top praise (for the short respite between barks!) and they do get the message eventually.

My daughter was MOST impressed with how good she is in the car today (having not seen her for a while). I shrugged and said 'yeah well it was a doddle AFTER THE FIRST 9 MONTHS!'
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I sort of do this for Polo at the beginning of a walk. He is not allowed out of the car crate until he is quiet for a count of five.

If he then barks once he gets out, he is returned to his crate, repeat until he can begin the walk quietly.

If I have to repeat it more than once now he sits leaning against my leg looking up at me as if to say "I'll be quiet Mum, promise, don't put me back in the car."

It's not that I'm trying to punish him by putting him back in the crate, more that I'm making going for a walk contingent on his gob being shut. He learnt this very quickly but occasionally needs a reminder!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I simply call my dogs in if they bark. They only bark to alert me so if I`ve noticed, the barking stops.
I think this `if you bark you`ll be punished by not being able to go out and play` is a bit advanced for a dog!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
If she barks, take her inside. Wait a few mins then let her out, if she barks take her in again. Boring and repetitive but she'll soon get the message that barking = no garden!
This really works. I have had my m-i-l's GSD X, Toby here since yesterday as she has been taken into hospital. He'll be here for about a month and my son works shifts and is currently on nights so asleep during the day.

Toby likes looking out through the gate at the street, but barks at everyone who goes past or at any noise from next door. I have called him back in about 10 times since yesterday afternoon and he has now stopped doing it altogether. He is currently out there sunbathing and hasn't made a sound for about 3 hours.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think this `if you bark you`ll be punished by not being able to go out and play` is a bit advanced for a dog!
It's not advanced it is simple behaviour-consequence training.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
It's not advanced it is simple behaviour-consequence training.
Do you think dogs will necessarily associate the behaviour shown when barking with being taken inside or rather the behaviour they were showing the exact moment they were taken inside - this might not be the same!

Also they get taken inside at other times, not just when doing something wrong. So it's an everyday thing but also a punishment?!?

If it was me, I'd be thinking of the 'why' she is barking - rather than 'how can I stop it'. I might have misunderstood the original post but is it only at one dog she barks at? Or just anyone walking past?

Could she be nervous or frightened? Saying hello to everyone? ......

Have never used this in garden, but one thing I started doing with Riley outdoors (because he must go say hello to every human he meets) - is giving him a treat every time some walks past. I use his squeaker to gain attention, give him a treat and a fuss until they have walked past.
Worked really quickly for us, now every time someone walks past he comes over for a treat!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Millie is a nervous individual. The fence at the bottom is a long way from our house so by the time she starts to bark she has all ready got worked up.

She will often stop once I come down but once Marlie attempts to come to the fence again she barks!

I think its the design of our garden the bottom is a blind spot so I keep her away and attract her away if she goes down there.

The fence stands on a wall so all though the dog opposite is harmless he is looking down. The owner is very nice and dog savvy and has tried desperately to make friends with Millie but she wont have it. I think she feels threatend because they are above her. We have high-ish fences either side so you would have to peer over and I think she finds that threatning too as she can't see all of them.

She gets worried seeing people looking over though I have never seen anyone come into the garden or try to. She does bark at strangers at the door and cats that sit on the doorstep even the door is closed o.0''
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3