Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:51 PM

question about new behaviors...

My 3.5 year old mixed breed has been eating a LOT lately. In fact Ive been keeping track of her food for about a year. It would take her 2 months to finish a 20 lb bag - then last month she finished one in 35 days. It looks like this is going to continue - she will eat her whole bowl and Ill fill it and she will eat more. I dont see that she is gaining much weight - but of course i see her every day.

Its the same food - i just dont know why she is sooo hungry. She did have her yearly exam in january. Of course this started happening in March. Should I just feed her twice a day - one bowl?

ALSO and I really dont get this. For the last 3 years I have had to take this dog out between 4 to 6 times a day for the bathroom. In the last few weeks - she goes maybe 3 times. In fact there have been a few nights when she wont go at all. Yesterday she peed at about 3pm - then didnt go when I took her out at her usual 9 break. (my bf did take her out in the middle of hte night just to make sure and she did go - he wasnt sure if she peed though).
Other than these longer bathroom breaks - she is going just fine - doesnt seem in pain or anything.

Any ideas?? Eating more and going to bathroom less doesnt make sense.

THANKS!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Most adult dogs can last 8 or 9 hours without a pee. Some go even longer, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

As for the increased hunger, I would get that checked with your vet.

Keep us posted.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2009, 06:56 AM
It sounds like you're free feeding (topping up the bowl, whenever it's empty), otherwise you wouldn't have this problem...

I would keep her on a feeding schedule which matches her breed and stamina... Make sure she doesn't get over weight..

I use the recommendation of 2-3% of their body weight in food per day.. I split that over 2 meals, although Jessie only seems to eat once a day...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
It sounds like you're free feeding (topping up the bowl, whenever it's empty), otherwise you wouldn't have this problem...

I would keep her on a feeding schedule which matches her breed and stamina... Make sure she doesn't get over weight..

I use the recommendation of 2-3% of their body weight in food per day.. I split that over 2 meals, although Jessie only seems to eat once a day...
I agree, two of my five would eat constantly if allowed to. They get fed an amount suitable for their size and energy levels. Just feed twice a day and make sure she doesn't have access to any other food.
Some dogs are able to over eat and not gain weight just as some will gain weight while eating very little. Cut down her meals and see what happens.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Just a thought...is she spayed?

If not, is there any chance that she could be pregnant?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 12:06 PM
The first thing I`d do is worm the dog. Then a vet check-up. Another possibility - have you changed your dogfood? Some brands are pretty useless.
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks so much for the responses.

I usually DO leave out a full bowl - mostly because for the last 3 years she hardly ate!

But yes, I have in the last few days only put food in the bowl twice a day. However if she starts to chew on other items around the house - which is her cue that shes still hungry- can i feed her more??

The food has not changed and she is spayed.

At her appointment in Jan she was checked for heartworm and is on preventative.

THANKS