Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Is there 'legal' docking still?

Just found this add on our works intranet site about docked german shorthair pointer pups. I thought 'all' docking was illegal now in this country. Can someone tell me if I'm right or wrong?

Black and White GSP puppies. Legally docked and microchipped. KC Reg. From working stock but would also make ideal pets.

Cheers,
Jackie
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I believe it is illegal. However, it can be circumvented if there is a "medical" reason for doing so. So if the pups appear to have picked up an infection etc. who can say otherwise?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:00 PM
No they can still be legally docked if it can be proved that they will prpbably be working dogs. They then can't be shown at events where the public pay to get in, like Crufts.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by warlord0 View Post
I believe it is illegal. However, it can be circumvented if there is a "medical" reason for doing so. So if the pups appear to have picked up an infection etc. who can say otherwise?
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No they can still be legally docked if it can be proved that they will prpbably be working dogs. They then can't be shown at events where the public pay to get in, like Crufts.
Thanks guys, from the ad it says would be good working dogs but also suitable as pets. Would a vet dock without knowing the dogs were going to working homes?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:09 PM
It's been illegal since 7 April 07, but breeders can get around it by intending the puppies to be sold for working purposes, even if they're not.

We had a nightmare trying to find a Springer litter that wasn't docked and in the end had to settle for 1/3 docked.

It does make sense though if you think about how feathery and long that end bit of tail is, although I'm still not keen on it.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Thanks guys, from the ad it says would be good working dogs but also suitable as pets. Would a vet dock without knowing the dogs were going to working homes?
It's up to the vet. They need proof of sorts that the litter will be 'worked' but they can't know which pups will and which pups won't when they are docked so they do the lot.
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
It's been illegal since 7 April 07, but breeders can get around it by intending the puppies to be sold for working purposes, even if they're not.

We had a nightmare trying to find a Springer litter that wasn't docked and in the end had to settle for 1/3 docked.

It does make sense though if you think about how feathery and long that end bit of tail is, although I'm still not keen on it.
I have to say, owning a breed who is more than happy to go through cover etc and who's tail never,ever stops and has lots of fur on it...I just don't see the need. If a Flat Coat can work and have a tail that never stops,ever, even when they are asleep most of the time, then I fail to see the need to dock other breeds.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I was going to report it but obviously there are 'get out' clauses. I certainly don't like the thought of it but that's only my personal opinion.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have to say, owning a breed who is more than happy to go through cover etc and who's tail never,ever stops and has lots of fur on it...I just don't see the need. If a Flat Coat can work and have a tail that never stops,ever, even when they are asleep most of the time, then I fail to see the need to dock other breeds.
Noooooooo, don't pull me into a Docking Debate! I am anti it in general, (nothing beats a wagging tail) but I have a pup who is 1/3rd so I can't be a complete hypocrite.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Nooooo, didn't mean to start a debate. Just asked a question and all of you lovely people have now answered it. Thank you.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 03:07 PM
pidge what do you mean by 1/3rd docked?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >