Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Patch
[sorry to sound ranty, I have a cold and I`m always snippy when I`m in poorly woe mode lol ]
I thought you sounded ok.. I have heard snippy from you.... and this was mild.. lol

Eunice

I dont believe spot works in rescue. but plans to in the future {I had asked her recently } but is a keen rescuer if that makes sense
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
There are also whole kennels who only out-cross and have produced many champions...in dallys (Aus), standard poodles (US) etc. We need to offer such examples up as evidence of success that line breeding is not necessary, and without giving those without correct info excuses to trot out that the only alternative to linebreeding is outbreeding to another breed, it is simply NOT TRUE for most breeds if we act soon. If we don't...
Mary
is it right in saying that it takes five generations after an outcross for the dog to be classed as a pedigree breed again?

If so... and please correct me if im wrong.. how would someone like me.... manage to continue showing dogs when it could take me a life time to breed five generations.... {not that showings the be all and end all..

if what I have said is right.. its would be an option for the breeders breeding many litters each year..
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
is it right in saying that it takes five generations after an outcross for the dog to be classed as a pedigree breed again?
Do you mean outbreed? I used outcross here in trad breeder speak and outbreed to indicate using another breed. I don't know the answer...thats one for Jeff Sampson, or Bruce Cattanach, since he has done it!
If so... and please correct me if im wrong.. how would someone like me.... manage to continue showing dogs when it could take me a life time to breed five generations.... {not that showings the be all and end all..
You couldn't but it may not take 5 gens
if what I have said is right.. its would be an option for the breeders breeding many litters each year..
I honestly don't know Shona...maybe Pod could tell us if she reads this. The numbers of outbred dogs in a population would correspond to degree of problems so its a bit theoretical, I guess
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
I honestly don't know Shona...maybe Pod could tell us if she reads this. The numbers of outbred dogs in a population would correspond to degree of problems so its a bit theoretical, I guess
I think this is poss where things have gotten heated..with PW and others.. when they say outcross they mean to another breed.. hence my views on her posts.. no one minds outcrossing to diff lines within a breed....

but its outbreeding PW wants to see happening to improve health...

yes like you I see outcross as meaning.. useing a diff line of dog but still the same breed of dog..
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:59 PM
sorry for being thick.. but what happens with merle to merle matings?

my knowlage is very limited to breeding rotties..

Sorry, I should have explained when I posted that
Merle to merle is a common long known cause of deaf pups, it`s why my Collies are deaf, one is also CEA Affected, [Collie Eye Anomoly ], also an avoidable hereditary condition.

Basic easy to read general overview regarding merle here :
http://www.lethalwhites.com/doublemerle.html
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I think this is poss where things have gotten heated..with PW and others.. when they say outcross they mean to another breed.. hence my views on her posts.. no one minds outcrossing to diff lines within a breed....

but its outbreeding PW wants to see happening to improve health...

yes like you I see outcross as meaning.. useing a diff line of dog but still the same breed of dog..
I really believe that some breeds would benefit from this - some just don't have distinct lines anymore. Will look into it further, but the FCI are taking steps to allow outcrossing to similar breeds in the future to preserve diversity. I would link to it, but it seems to be written in French now!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-10-2008, 12:15 AM
If you want to be against the breeders of your rescue dogs.. great.. go get em.. but I dont see why we should all be tarred with that brush... NONE of my pups are in rescue... so why are you and PW so against me??
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovezois
But maybe because she has 7 pedigrees from rescue is what turns her against breeders of pedigrees?

Hi Spot

Somehow I am not convinced of this sorry, but you are entitled of course to your opinion.

Eunice see above I could have 7 of my breed (in fact there are many a time I wish I did) but seeing so many in rescue certainly does turn you against the breeders of these dogs, how many in rescue does there have to be to make you think the breeders are in the wrong?

As I said previously you are entitled to you opinion and I have already said was referring to PW and not you.

You work in rescue and that is great and I r can see where you are coming from and respect your views .You can have as many as you like of your breed, that is your perogative, but working in rescue you see it from a different perpsective than I do . I have always researched any breed a I was interested inand I make sure I choose an ethical breeder who I know will support me and my dogs and if necessary have them back , so since we see it from different ends of the spectrum we shall just have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one Spot and I hope like I respect your views you will respect mine.
Patch

I thought you sounded ok.. I have heard snippy from you.... and this was mild.. lol

Eunice

I dont believe spot works in rescue. but plans to in the future {I had asked her recently } but is a keen rescuer if that makes sense

did a long reply to all of this then it got wiped then I realised whats the point either Ihave an agenda or just rescue for some other agnda whaever I jus cant win they areare all pretty worthless really and that makes me cry so will sign off fo tonight cuz i love mu dog wherever they come from.

i do get tired of being the bad rescue bad guy not all of us are in it because we are cheap
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Spot
quote:nope the breeders of both my pedigrees and numerous ones that I have fostered would not take them back - in my breed its not necessary to be a good breeder to always take them back. Still does not answer the questions though.quote.

I dont see how your breed is any different to any other breed, a good breeder in any breed would take their breeding back IMO no exception, so IMO the breeders are NOT good breeders.and I am sure even in your chosen breed there are breeders who DO take their breeding back.

Mo
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Spot
quote:nope the breeders of both my pedigrees and numerous ones that I have fostered would not take them back - in my breed its not necessary to be a good breeder to always take them back. Still does not answer the questions though.quote.

I dont see how your breed is any different to any other breed, a good breeder in any breed would take their breeding back IMO no exception, so IMO the breeders are NOT good breeders.and I am sure even in your chosen breed there are breeders who DO take their breeding back.

Mo
I would love to find just one that would! However this is not just about one breed or us cheapskate rescuers so I will now bow out.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Anyone who thinks rescues don’t have a problem finding homes for Rotties, GSDs, Danes, Mastiffs and Collies are naive at best.

In answer to your question Shona the rescue I’ve adopted my dogs from takes in more pure breeds than crossbreeds, and Mo to answer your assumption over the last few years I’ve donated more money to the rescue than I would have paid to breeders.

Interestingly having a variety of breeds has taught me that people don't need certain types of breeds, it's a choice not a 'need', not one of my dogs lives up to the typical breed standard of what an individual breed should be, they're dogs first and foremost. Individual dogs who all fit in with my lifestyle perfectly. Two of them were bred by show breeders, two originated from what I suspect were puppy farmers and three originated from what you'd call back yard breeders.

Out of choice I only took on one dog which was considered as easy to rehome, should I feel guilty for adopting her? I suppose I agree with your point to a degree.

Please can someone point out where I have I said I dislike or have a problem with pedigree dogs? That is absolutely not true. I might disagree with breeding (pedigrees, crossbreed, mongrels) when rescues are at the crisis point of having to destroy healthy dogs but that doesn't mean, or, have I said want to get rid of pedigrees.

Yes I certainly have a problem with the way they are currently being bred under the Kennel Club rules at a detriment to their health and well being. Realising and listening to what scientists and geneticists have taught us that opening gene pools by controlled outcrossing to other breeds will improve health certainly doesn't mean I'm against pedigrees, pure bloodlines yes we know this is a detriment to their health, but that doesn't mean we have to do away with pedigrees.
Page 56 of 65 « First < 6 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 > Last »