View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 08:53 PM

Horses & Ponies ... how hard did you pester to get yours?

Following on from other threads, how did you get your first pony or horse? How long did it take you and what lengths did you go to to get them?

Me?

1. Spent most of my childhood playing 'horses' and I had a complete 'showjumping course' in the orchard.

2. I used to ride the brick wall in the back garden, it had a rug, reins and stirrups!

3. I started buying bits of a grooming kit. Everytime I went with my Dad at the weekend, instead of him buying me sweets or a toy I took him to the Chemist where they sold brushes and curry combs.

4. I joined The Horse Rangers, it was brill, 8 hours every weekend, learning and riding, happy days. But you weren't allowed to join if you had your own pony.

5. I got my Dad to promise he'd buy me a pony if he won the pools. He won a fiver lol.

6. I got my pony, April. My Mum didn't want me to get a pony, so I went to test ride her after school in my uniform and had to lie. Once she was paid for it was tough... and I had to leave Horse Rangers. I was gutted, NOT! as I now had my own pony to ride! Woo hoo!

The rest is history, and I'd love another one.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I wanted a 'gee-gee' from the moment I could talk.

I thought I was going to get a pony when I was 5 years old and keep it in the garage, but instead got riding lessons.

When I was about 10 years old I started to go to a private yard and help with the horses all weekend, mucking out, cleaning tack etc and they let me ride 1 of their horses/ponies.

We went to live in the USA when I was 12 years old (lucky escape for my parents as I don't think they could have held out much longer) and went to New Canaan Mounted Troop.

The last year we lived in the USA I leased a pony called Dixie.

As soon as we came back to England (I was nearly 16 years old) I bought my 1st horse, Sting, she was only a 2 year old and I backed her myself.

I put Sting in foal when she was 7 years old and the result was a black filly, Dighty.

When we moved here I bought a broodmare, Anmut, and have bred another 6 foals (3 from Sting and 3 from Anmut).
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
I thought I was going to get a pony when I was 5 years old and keep it in the garage, but instead got riding lessons.
Isn't it funny how when you're small garages are perfectly natural places to keep ponies. "What do you mean you can't keep a horse in there Mummy?" lol
I though I was in with a chance as we had a coal shed too!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2007, 05:40 PM
11 years of begging!!

started riding at 4 - carried on until i was 15 - then i had 1 on share - which was really bad- the lady made it hell

mum n dad bought me jack when i was 15 - wish i knew how he was - thensold him a year later - had 2 on loan

then i had a break

then i passed my driving test, pestered again, bought tuscan and now i work my ass off to pay for him - - spent tousands on that lad - he got anail in his tendon - but now hes a lot better

would love amini shetti asa friend for him - but for now - that aint gonna happen!!!!