View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gerriec
New Member!
Male 

05-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Westie after spay. Connected to when she would next have come into season?

My Westie bitch was spayed back in late May, since then she has been in good health, and very friendly. But this last week or so she has become grumpy and very timid, and if crowded she is inclined to "snick", not bite, but just gives a warning snick. She is coming up to four years old, I got her last April, not spayed, and she was terminating her spell of being in season. So going by the vet's advice she was spayed when it was time to do so. So it appears that now would have been the time for her to once again be in season, if she was not spayed.

So my query is "Is a spayed bitch affected by the times she would have been in Season so possibly making her grumpy and unsociable, otherways she is very active and in good health."

Gerrie C.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Molly was spayed in July and the time she was due to come into season she went nuts! Not nasty, just her mad, nutty, deaf pre season self! I have been told this can happen, but I dont know if it happens all the time or only for a while after they have been spayed!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 07:20 PM
I think it's the same as for us humans. I had a hysterectomy in 1994 but my ovaries were left in. I had the same level of PMS for years. What your dog is doing sounds pretty normal to me
gerriec
New Member!
Male 

06-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Miss Potter & Vicki

Thank You for your response, I had thought that it may be a natural occurrence but wondered if anyone had experienced this with their dog.

Thank you Both.

Gerrie C.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki
I think it's the same as for us humans. I had a hysterectomy in 1994 but my ovaries were left in. I had the same level of PMS for years. What your dog is doing sounds pretty normal to me
It is the ovaries that determine hormone levels, so if you had only the uterus removed then you would naturally experience the ups and downs of pre & post- menstrual stress/tension

In dogs a spay involves an ovariohysterectomy, which is removal of uterus and ovaries. It is not unknown for the behaviours associated with seasons to persist for a while, but they should diminish over time.
Meg
Supervisor

06-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi gerriec I wonder if there may be some other problem, these things can be a sign of pain and if the behaviour continues I would have the vet check her out to be on the safe side .
Does she look ok, bright eyes, pink gums, eating ok, relieving herself as normal.Is she drinking more are there any unusual discharges from anywhere.
Stand her up and run your hands gently down her body, are there any tender spots, check her legs, ears, and in her mouth... teeth, across the roof of her mouth.
It could as the others say be hormones but I would not rule out another cause until I had checked things out.
gerriec
New Member!
Male 

06-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Shadowboxer & Minihaha

My thanks to You both for your advice,
Shadowboxer, her ovaries were removed.
Minihaha, she is bright as a button, very active, bowels etc. OK, no sign of any discomfort or soreness or tenderness. Her eating is down a bit, but is eating an adequate meal, and always on the mooch for titbits.
I guess it may be hormone reactions.

My thanks to you both.

Gerrie C.
Meg
Supervisor

06-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi Gerrie thats good then and if the overies were removed things should settle down by the time her next season is due
I love Westies, anything with a beard any pictures ...
gerriec
New Member!
Male 

07-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Minihaha
Sorry, No pics as yet, only had her since April.
This is my fourth Westie, first one "Donnie" 11 & half years,put to sleep because of liver tumor, Second one "Scamp" 13 & half years died of heart failure. Third one "Rhuaridh" 2 years and three weeks, put to sleep due to massive pancreas cancer, a year come January. The greatest loss of all, because he was so young, and so full of fun, everybody was his pal, and such a fine beautiful dog, he was big, and a glorious curly coat, and was a very dear companion in the short time I had Him. I loved All my Westies, and they are All sorely missed, but none forgotten.

So this is my first Female Westie, and I have things to learn.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Gerrie C.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-11-2005, 10:32 AM
By the time the season after this one should have been due any residual hormones that would cause 'grumpiness' should have cleared her body. If she is still grumpy then you may be looking at a behavioural rather than hormonal problem. If she never had any sort of temperament problems prior to spaying all should be ok. If she was of uncertain temper before spaying then the procedure may compound the problem.

Do let us know how she goes