Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Our first night walk.

My sister got stranded in town and decided to catch the tram home instead of the bus, meaning she'd have to walk across the lakes rather than being dropped off outside the gates (we have lovely bus drivers) since I am older I had to go and meet her - can just imagine my Dad's rant at me if I didnt.

Anyway, it's dark and I hate the dark and since it's the same way that I had that encounter with that weird man, I decided to take Louie. So Hi-vis's went on and halti went on and heart racing (I really hate the dark) we set off. Loads of people pulled out from the verges so we didn't get run over and just as we were nearing the entrance to the lakes - I hear whistling and shouting.. I hesitated - I know people take their DA dogs out when no one else will be out and then they came into view - a couple with their dog.. I carried on down the slightly lit path ( lampost every now and then) and came across some people coming off the lakes - no dog, acting strange - looked drunk to me. So we quickly passed them and then my sister phoned me - she was walking down.

Anyway - Louie behaved perfectly, he was onlead the whole time (forgot whistle) there were fireworks going off, we could see and clearly hear them - no problem whatsoever So I am proud of our first night walk and how Louie behaved himself.. never again though! Still hate the dark!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Fantastic that Louie was well behaved I don't mind walking on my own in the dark if I have the dogs with me, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't have the pups by my side (although I'm in outer Brum, so the streets are really well lit around here as it's very residential)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Fantastic that Louie was well behaved I don't mind walking on my own in the dark if I have the dogs with me, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't have the pups by my side (although I'm in outer Brum, so the streets are really well lit around here as it's very residential)
I'm in rural/semi rural Notts - not enough lighting IMO! The only dog I feel safe walking in the dark with is Sadie, but I only have Louie atm..

I was more impressed with the fireworks though - his ears were twitching but not a problem - I didn't want to take him out 'cos I know he might be fine inside but not sure what he'd be like out..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I dont mind walking in the dark with the dogs but the collies are jittery in the dark and even the most normal sound (car door shutting, somebody talking) makes them very nervy and they constantly look round for imaginary dangers.

Of course, at this time of year coupled with the fireworks it's double trouble so i'm against the clock to get them walked before dusk!

Flynn isnt bothered, he takes things like that in his stride.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Which lakes do you mean SLB ... I'm a Notts girl myself ... and can't think for the life of me which lakes you're referring to.

I know what you mean though about walking in the dark ... when we lived at Redhill .. the bus stopped at Arnold and my Dad used bring our lab Sorrel with him to meet me ... even he was scared to walk down an unlit hill on his own!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
Which lakes do you mean SLB ... I'm a Notts girl myself ... and can't think for the life of me which lakes you're referring to.

I know what you mean though about walking in the dark ... when we lived at Redhill .. the bus stopped at Arnold and my Dad used bring our lab Sorrel with him to meet me ... even he was scared to walk down an unlit hill on his own!
Mill lakes - not far from Arnold, if I'm not mistaken - near Hucknall

Louie's senses are worse enough in the daytime, they're even worse at night - I prefer to walk when the animals are going to bed, not waking up