Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 07:13 PM
He seems to like to lean in and have his head rubbed lol
I stop when he does that cos I'm not sure if it could turn into him getting pushy if he thinks it works? He's very gentle but also very young so thats why I'm not sure if it should be encouraged. He does like you to pet him right down from above the whorl in his hair down to his nostrils too though
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
He seems to like to lean in and have his head rubbed lol
I stop when he does that cos I'm not sure if it could turn into him getting pushy if he thinks it works? He's very gentle but also very young so thats why I'm not sure if it should be encouraged. He does like you to pet him right down from above the whorl in his hair down to his nostrils too though
As long as you don't allow him to "bully" you, should be fine. Horses love to use humans as a scratching post, which if they catch you unawares and especially if they are wearing a bridle, can hurt like hell, but your boy sounds very good so rub away!! If he does get too pushy and demanding, you can simply stop and walk away, or turn your back on him. He will soon get the picture!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks Gnasher, he actually is very gentle and leans in waiting on you rubbing more than anything. So I will keep going, if he does start to get pushy then il go back to stopping....
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Thanks Gnasher, he actually is very gentle and leans in waiting on you rubbing more than anything. So I will keep going, if he does start to get pushy then il go back to stopping....
Aaaah, he sounds a sweety, give him a huge scratch from me!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Nope, definitely a no-no. If you know what you're doing, bored and/or lonely horses and ponies really appreciate some attention - some, but not all, love their polls scratched, although you need to do this very gently as sadly many horses are head-shy. They love their manes "nibbled" using your fingers, imagine your fingers are teeth and "nibble" up and down their manes. Some love their foreheads scratched, and some love their nostrils gently blown up - but be very careful doing this, as horses can and do bite. If they seem to want to come and say hello, but are very nervous, turn your back on them and keep still - within minutes their curiosity will encourage them to come and say hello and you will suddenly feel hot breath on the back of your neck! Don't look them in the eye and keep movements steady and low - never approach from behind, horses cannot see directly behind them.

But never feed - it makes them nappy and nippy, and it hurts like hell to be bitten by a horse!
HERE HERE!!! Really well put. Gnasher.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3