Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 01:00 PM

House wrecker

We have trying to leave our ebony a bit at a time to get her used to it, but with school inductions and everything we left her for about 1 1/2 hours today, got back home and omg, she had pulled half my curtain of the rings the bin was everywhere there was a great strip of paint was missing off the door, her toys left exactly where there were, i thought we were doing it right by trying to leave her a bit at a time but obviously not any advice recieved with thanks.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 01:07 PM
you could try to confine her in smaller areas where she can't get into so much mischief or you could try using a crate for short times. Then when she starts getting the hang of being left alone she can have more space bit by bit until she gets the run of the house.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 01:09 PM
So far we have been keeping brodie in her cage when we go out so she has only one thing she can do which is sleep. At the moment we are testing the water she is 6 months old now and we leave a Kong toy stuffed with mincemeat, a ball that drops biscuits when its rolled, a ball which we record our voice and talks everytime she rolls it and lots of bones hidden to chew on. So far we have not had any mishaps except a slipper which I should know better than to leave lying around with my scent (smelly at that) on. Try doing it for shorter periods like 5 mins do some weeding in the garden where he cant see you next day if all okay do 15 mins and so on. Untill finally you can go for longer periods and know all okay. good luck I know its very distressing for both of you. I went for 18 months with my older dog of carpets ripped up, doors and walls eaten you name it that was because I was out at work all day and left him alone. Wont do that again.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Try not to get your dog used to having too many toys while alone. You really want it to relaxed and if possible asleep while you are away.
Make sure your dog is mentally tired, not just tired so walks doesnt work, when you leave and it will more likely settle down and go to sleep.

A small tip is also to stay with you dog till it has settled down and maybe went to sleep. Then you, without any fuss can go and return to a dog that might not even have noticed you have been gone.
I dont make it a big event me returning either. I will try to ignore Ally til I atleast have my coat and shoes off. Me going and comming back shouldnt be a big deal.

Start off slowly by leave it only for a short while and then make the time you are away longer and longer.

I´m sure you´ll get there Just remember the three T´s (= Things Takes Time - as we say it here)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 02:14 PM
All good ideas.
Also try not to make a big fuss when you leave. Just make it part of the normal routine.
We still confine Loki to the kitchen (9 months) when we go out with some toys, a radio, a pig's ear and everything hidden and barricaded away and don't have lots of emotional goodbyes.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 02:26 PM
...One thing to remember is to be carefull what you leave the puppy to play with or chew so that he can't choke on anything while unsupervised.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Good point Myschevious and Pig's Ears could do this. I never left them when he was little, but used to stuff empty cardboard boxes and toilet rolls with kibble and treats. Still do.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 02:48 PM
good idea!

Hey LS have you noticed when the mouse goes over your green squares, that you now have a fantastic aura...lol
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 02:50 PM
I hadn't actually, but now you mention it ... :smt043 :smt041
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone, Well have seen a massive like pet carrier like people take their cats to the vets, do you think that would do the trick, trouble is ebony is just over 2 now so not really a pup, don't think the poor thing has ever learned how to play, i think she must have had a tough time in the past.