Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Has anyone tried Indometacin?

I've been prescribed this today as my current arthritis meds are not curbing the pain.

The doctor has given me just 2 weeks supply and told me I need to come back after that time and they will do more blood tests etc., apparently these drugs can be quite dangerous and one of the side effects are heart attacks/strokes, which has scared me to be honest.

The trouble is, I am crippled in pain, not sleeping, having trouble walking, stumble when I try to take Hen out so I feel I don't have much choice other than to try them.

I wondered if anyone else has tried them and if they were ok.

Many thanks in anticipation
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Sorry Sheree have never heard of them.

Sending (((hugs))) and really hoping they can help you soon with this awful problem.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Sorry Sheree have never heard of them.

Sending (((hugs))) and really hoping they can help you soon with this awful problem.
Thanks Lynn xxx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear you are in such pain. It is not nice, is it.

Indometacin is an NSAID - a Non-Steroid Anti-inflammatory Drug and like all NSAIDs can cause side effects in some people.

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Indometacin.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indometacin - this will give you more details about possible side effects.

The thing to remember is that all NSAIDs, and indeed all medications, can cause some side effects, and you have to weigh up whether the quality of your life is worth taking that slight risk.

It is worth asking your doctor whether you should take something like Gastro or Famotidine with the Indometacin to guard against ulcers.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Sorry to hear you are in such pain. It is not nice, is it.

Indometacin is an NSAID - a Non-Steroid Anti-inflammatory Drug and like all NSAIDs can cause side effects in some people.

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Indometacin.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indometacin - this will give you more details about possible side effects.

The thing to remember is that all NSAIDs, and indeed all medications, can cause some side effects, and you have to weigh up whether the quality of your life is worth taking that slight risk.

It is worth asking your doctor whether you should take something like Gastro or Famotidine with the Indometacin to guard against ulcers.
Thanks for that info Malka

The meds I have been on can cause ulcers so I am very careful to take them after food, and the doctor told me to do the same with these ones. I took one at bedtime and have worried myself about whether that pain in my chest is a heart attack...stupid really as I think it would be far worse with accompanying symptoms and I have my heart/blood pressure checked regularly. I have to admit, although I am still in a lot of pain, once I had got half way round the field with Hen this morning, my legs did feel a lot less stiff and robot like.

I now have to decide whether to take another after breakfast and stop looking too deeply into things